Export only most recent or initial submission via ODK briefcase CLI

What is the general goal of the feature?
Export only most recent or initial submission via ODK briefcase CLI.
I know that limitations can be placed on submission dates. is it possible to limit to only the most recent submission?

What are some example use cases for this feature?
It would be used to quickly judge how recently new information has been added to each form and then decide which forms to export. There may be a better way of doing this not via the briefcase which i would also be open to.

What can you contribute to making this feature a reality?
More of a check to see if I'm missing something and its already possible in some way.

Hi @noel! I don't think this feature exists and it sounds like something nice thing to have

We have something like that on the Export tab, where you can see the date of the last export of each form.

Would it work if the new CLI operation just returned the last submission dates for each form on the server (without actually downloading the forms to the storage dir)? The output would be like a table with one form name & last submission date per row (or something like that)

It occurs to me that it could also do the same for just one form adding an optional arg

If we implemented this, that information could also be added to the pull & export tabs.

I can confirm that this feature does not exist. And it is doable, but we only know the last submission date by scanning Aggregate's data store. That scan takes a while (it's the same scan we do when downloading), so if you are looking to save time, it won't save you time.

Hi,

Guillermo - I see what you mean and that is a useful statistic to have but i think you are referring to last export rather than last submission.

Yaw - That makes sense, I wasn't sure if aggregate stored last submission dates in a separate table with one row per form. I have some further (conditional) processes that kick off each time a form has new submissions but will just take this date from the exported data if this is the most direct way.

Thanks for the quick responses!

Noel