Fitting an entire image multiple choice question to screen on tab

1. What is the problem? Be very detailed.
Hi all,
I have been building a form on excel with several select_one questions, and running it on ODK Collect. The options are images for people to select from, and there are 2 to a question. My problem is that these choices appear far away from each other( on Lenovo Tab3 7), with a lot of empty space in between, and the respondent has to scroll down to view the second option. Moreover, the images appear kind of small, but the main problem is that it just looks weird, and I don't want respondents having to scroll down to the second option when there is so much empty space in between the options.So, what I wanted to find out was if there was a way to fit the entire question to the screen on a tablet.
Any help is very much appreciated
Thanks,
Yash.

2. What app or server are you using and on what device and operating system? Include version numbers.

App- ODK collect(version 1.25.2), device-Lenovo Tab3 7,with operating systerm-Android 6.0

3. What you have you tried to fix the problem?
ODK collect has an option of going into settings>form management, and changing image resolution, but that does not seem to work.

4. What steps can we take to reproduce the problem?
Umm, don't know,seems like maybe an image pixel issue, or an HTML issue, otherwise other people may have run into the same problem.

5. Anything else we should know or have? If you have a test form or screenshots or logs, attach below.
Screenshot of problem:

The image resolution option in settings > form management is for the resolution of images taken/collected during the survey.

I think you can fix this by resizing the image files before uploading them to the project on your ODK server. If there are many images to resize, you can try using something like ImageMagick mogrify to batch resize them with a command such as:
mogrify -format jpg -resize 800x800\> *

1 Like

Hmm I'm wondering if something is wrong with how we layout images this scale. Would you be able to share the form you're using (XLS or XML) @united_forever?

1 Like

Hi @danbjoseph,

Thanks for your reply. If I'm guessing correctly, the command to resize images has to be given in command prompt,right? Well, I'm kind of a novice at all this, so I was wondering if you could help me out a bit regarding the process of it.
Thanks for your help,
Yash.

Hi @seadowg,
I sure can.
Appreciate your input,
Yash.

Pilot_Survey.xlsx (25.9 KB)

You'll need to install ImageMagick

Here's a basic tutorial on using Windows command line - https://www.computerhope.com/issues/chusedos.htm
And on macOS terminal - https://macpaw.com/how-to/use-terminal-on-mac

The command

mogrify -format jpg -resize 800x800\> *

will change the format to jpg and shrink images with dimensions larger than the corresponding width and/or height arguments. The * will apply the command to all files in the current directory. You could limit this to all files with a certain extension by using something such as *.JPG in the command instead. See https://www.imagemagick.org/script/command-line-options.php#resize

Oh I'll need the media files (images in this case) to try it out!

Hi all,

Thanks for your replies, I really appreciate it.@danbjoseph, It will take me a minute to figure this out since I'm currently working on a no. of things, so I'll let you know the outcome asap(the tutorial looks useful though,).@seadowg, Since I am not the project manager, I don't think I am at liberty to disclose all the media files, will 10-15 suffice? Let me know and I shall upload them.

Thanks and regards,
Yash.

That's fine. Just the one's in the screenshot would do!

Hi again,
These here are the two files from the screenshot:

Hope this helps!
Thanks and regards,
Yash.

Hi all,

I just wanted to apologize for replying so late, but since our team decided to run the survey on a computer rather than on tab, we've run odk through bluestacks and it actually helps with the spacing of images.
Also, with release of the new beta 1 for collect 1.26, I think I'll explore that too if we run into any problems with our current course of action.

Thanks for all your help,
Yash.

1 Like

@united_forever if you're looking to carry out ODK survey's on a computer you could try out https://enketo.org/. Bluestacks is a pretty ingenious solution however!

1 Like

@seadowg Haha, thanks, although I can't take all the credit for it, as I've seen it recommended on the forum by other people as well!

1 Like