Form naming advice: multiple aggregates

I am hoping to pose a question / ask advice from the ODK community.

I am working in an area with strong data sensitivity issues. Although
the data being collected is all the same (same sampling methodology
and same xforms) I am using multiple aggregates (appspot instances)
according to the land tenure where the data is being collected. In
theory, these data sets could be combined in some future collaborative
event to make a much ore significant regional analysis.

My question is, should I put a regional name to distinguish the
xforms? I know there has been some problems with forms overwriting in
Google fusion tables that maintain the same name. But if I rename the
forms to have a regional ID does that in anyway reduce their ability
to be analyzed together in fusion tables?

Any one else using the same xforms but multiple aggregates?

i don't know if you can stream data from multiple instances to one
fusion table, but i'm betting you can.

regardless, if you are planning on merging the data at some point, i
think it's easiest to put a required prompt in the xform asking for
the region.

··· On Sun, Oct 9, 2011 at 17:50, Adam Calo wrote: > I am hoping to pose a question / ask advice from the ODK community. > > I am working in an area with strong data sensitivity issues. Although > the data being collected is all the same (same sampling methodology > and same xforms) I am using multiple aggregates (appspot instances) > according to the land tenure where the data is being collected. In > theory, these data sets could be combined in some future collaborative > event to make a much ore significant regional analysis. > > My question is, should I put a regional name to distinguish the > xforms? I know there has been some problems with forms overwriting in > Google fusion tables that maintain the same name. But if I rename the > forms to have a regional ID does that in anyway reduce their ability > to be analyzed together in fusion tables? > > Any one else using the same xforms but multiple aggregates? > > -- > Post: opendatakit@googlegroups.com > Unsubscribe: opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com > Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en >

A couple of responses:

1. I have not experienced any overwrites of data and I am not aware of
    how the overwrite can happen. I literally have about 100 tables named
    exactly the same thing in Fusion Tables as I generally use the same
    form when working with Fusion Tables. Aggregate does not use the table
    name to communicate to Fusion Tables, instead it uses a unique ID that
    fusion tables issues on the create statement. Therefore, I don't think
    you have to worry about overwriting, however you do have to worry
    about tables with the same name. If somebody knows how to make an
    overwrite of data happen please file an issue and we will resolve
    it.

2. FusionTables are not named based on form names, instead the names
    are derived from the form xml structure. Here is a previous email
    discussion on the subject:
    http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit/browse_thread/thread/acef461199a665c9/f7ed64cd8c28fd4b?lnk=gst&q=Aggregate+1.0+RC-1+Issue#

3. You can create views in fusion tables to merge all your data
    together from the multiple tables.

··· On Sun, Oct 9, 2011 at 7:19 PM, Yaw Anokwa wrote: > i don't know if you can stream data from multiple instances to one > fusion table, but i'm betting you can. > > regardless, if you are planning on merging the data at some point, i > think it's easiest to put a required prompt in the xform asking for > the region. > > On Sun, Oct 9, 2011 at 17:50, Adam Calo wrote: >> I am hoping to pose a question / ask advice from the ODK community. >> >> I am working in an area with strong data sensitivity issues. Although >> the data being collected is all the same (same sampling methodology >> and same xforms) I am using multiple aggregates (appspot instances) >> according to the land tenure where the data is being collected. In >> theory, these data sets could be combined in some future collaborative >> event to make a much ore significant regional analysis. >> >> My question is, should I put a regional name to distinguish the >> xforms? I know there has been some problems with forms overwriting in >> Google fusion tables that maintain the same name. But if I rename the >> forms to have a regional ID does that in anyway reduce their ability >> to be analyzed together in fusion tables? >> >> Any one else using the same xforms but multiple aggregates? >> >> -- >> Post: opendatakit@googlegroups.com >> Unsubscribe: opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com >> Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en >> > > -- > Post: opendatakit@googlegroups.com > Unsubscribe: opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com > Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en >