Form not loading with Enketo

Hi am trying to load the form on enketo but it has some errors.
Error occured during the loading of this form. We do not recommend you use this form for data entry until this is resolved.

Please contact support@getodk.org with the link to this page and the error message below:

Failed to load form
Data colection tool_edited_version 220824.xlsx (139.0 KB)

It is a somewhat long survey form but I'm not sure what the issue is.

I have the same error when loading the form with Enketo in the browser. Additionally noting that the console log shows: Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 504 (Gateway Time-out)

But it seems to load fine in Collect.

It's a huge form maybe too big for enketo? @eyelidlessness do you maybe know what's going on there?
In ODK Collect it loads without problems.

I am trying other forms on other platforms and it appears this is a system issue.Nearly all other forms including the small ones have the error.May be this might be solved later.

If you have a small form that cause the same error please attach it. The one above is huge so it might be difficult to understand which part is responsible for that.

Also, what version of ODK Central are you using? If you are not using the latest, upgrade and see if that helps.

When troubleshooting the long form from the first post I was using

versions:
d743511895ff258f633265061d0b6c4cb77c425a (v1.5.1-2-gd743511)
 f306caf0c6ccc4d3faee217905ee75e921937be3 client (v1.5.1)
 12568c504151c919b11c9962dd3ef866cebbd0e7 server (v1.5.1)

And also getodk.com/xlsform

The form can ran on Ona platform but not on other platforms ,I wonder why.

I note when trying to load this form into https://getodk.org/xlsform/ that it shows several errors/warnings (see below). XForm Groups typically have a display label associated with them, but I dont know how well various ODK clients might respond when they are missing... I might suggest going thru your form and fixing all these such that XLSForm Online stops throws any errors, and then trying again.

It's fine and in fact relatively common to choose not to have group labels. Perhaps we should even consider removing the warning.

It's particularly resource-intensive for Enketo to process form elements with translations. I was able to get your form working on my Central instance by removing the unnecessary ::English on the choices sheet label column. If it still doesn't work on your Central instance, you may need to increase the server's performance.

1 Like

The ::English was how @Grzesiek2010 got the form to properly display a previous answer as one of the labels in a list of choices in the question thread that led to this one. :grimacing:

Got it, that makes sense! I don't have a good form design alternative so the only thing I can think of is to increase resources for your Central/Enketo instance. The underlying issue is that it takes Enketo too long to process the form definition.

2 Likes