Form updates and background downloads producing multiple identical forms

What is the problem? Please be detailed.
In the most recent version of ODK (1.15.1), there's a new feature where ODK automatically detects new updates and downloads the newest version of a form in the background, while keeping the old version on the device (hidden). My ODK collected is connected to Ona.io. Every day, I download the submissions off of Ona, delete the form, and put it back up. So the form ID and version number remain unchanged. With the new ODK feature, it is detecting the "new" version and downloading it. This means that now I have multiple instances of the same blank form (combining the form ID and version number). This means I can fill a blank form, but I can't save as finalized and them submit. It also means I still have to manually delete the old hidden version. It would be ideal if the form update feature not only downloads the new versions, but overwrite the old version, specifically when the form ID and version number are identical.

What ODK tool and version are you using? And on what device and operating system version?
ODK collect v1.15.1 on ASUS Nexus 7, Android version 6.0.1, build number MOB30X

What steps can we take to reproduce the problem?

1. Enable automatic form update
    a. Periodic form updates check: Every fifteen minutes
    b. Automatic download: check
    c. Hide old form versions: check
  2. Upload a form to Ona.io
  3. Download the form on ODK Collect
  4. Delete the form from Ona
  5. Upload the form to Ona without changing the form ID and version number
  6. Download the form to ODK Collect
  7. Fill the form on ODK Collect
  8. Try to save form as finalized and send

What you have you tried to fix the problem?
Manually deleting the old versions from ODK Collect to be able to finalize forms.

Anything else we should know or have? If you have a test form or screenshots or logs, attach here.

Overriding an old version (in case of the same id and version number) is something we are considering https://github.com/opendatakit/collect/issues/1693

Why do you upload a new version with the same ID and version number? You should change version number and it would solve your problem.

This is something I do (and have been doing for the past four years) on daily basis for dozens of forms. It's very impracticle for me to change the version number everytime I re-upload a form. It seems the last point you guys agreed on was "I imagine this isn't a super common case. I propose we wait until a user reports this so we can get insights on what they're trying to accomplish."

Here's our case. Every afternoon I download the submissions off of Ona, so as to minimize the amount of time our data is online. Then I delete the forms and upload them again, same exact form. The next morning, field staff delete the blank forms they have on ODK collect, and get new blank forms. This is the daily routine. With the new auto-download feature, I thought it would save my field staff time everyday since ODK would automatically be doing what they have been doing manually.

Hi,

I am guessing being able to delete all data on Ona without deleting the form itself would actually be your ideal case - am I correct?
That would save your enumerators having to delete and download every day, and save you having to upload a new form every day.

From a quick look around a test project in Ona it doesn't appear to have a "delete all data from form" button available (which I'm guessing is why you delete the form), however there is a way to do it (You may already be aware of this):

1. Go to the form.
  2. Click the Table tab at the top
  3. Click on the select-all checkbox top left.
  4. Click the red "Delete" button that appears:

How practical this is will depend on the number of forms you have and the number of submissions you get per day, as the view is paginated (I'm guessing 100 per page, as it is showing more than 50 records on one page on my side).

Is this something that helps at all in your case?

Asking Ona for a "delete all data" option which doesn't delete the form may also greatly improve your workflow.

Regards,
Andrew

2 Likes