Form with ODK VS with ODK-X

Please, can you give me some examples of options and/or features that we can create within a form with ODK-X Application Designer but not with ODK Build ?

Thanks.

Hi @Loola

Please see comparison of features here:
https://docs.opendatakit.org/odk-x/select-tool-suite/#id1

I hope this helps!

Best,
Andrea

3 Likes

besides what @Andrea_Martin linked to, the other big difference is non-linear workflows you have have much more arbitrary workflows, ODK uses Xforms which requires a linear transversal, where as ODK-X allows much more complex workflows.

1 Like

Hi @Andrea_Martin :slightly_smiling_face:
Thank you for your reaction.

I read this before asking my question, I was not fully satisfied by that features comparison because it does not tell me exactly what kind of forms I can made with ODK-X but not with ODK.

With the answer of Brunette, it is now a bit clear to me.
I think I need to use them more and have practice use case to well understand the difference (in creating forms).

Thank you, Andrea!

PS : I am doing a phd on mobile data collection platforms.

1 Like

Thank you @W_Brunette !

I have read a lot of papers (proceedings) about ODK et ODK-X in which you where one the authors.
I hope to write a paper with you, in the futur.

PS : I am doing now a phd in computer science, specially in mobile data collection platforms.

All the best with your PhD!

Cheers,
Andrea

1 Like

@Loola Thanks for reading the papers and joining the community. If you need some help with something with your PhD feel free to contact me. We need more people working on mobile data collection platforms.

4 Likes

Hello, could you share the documentation you read?.

Thanks. I will remember it, when it will be necessary.

Hi @famador.
Sorry for late.

I will publish one of my papers I wrote on ODK. In the section "References" you will find some of Brunette papers. If you need one of them, you can either ask it to me, I will give you, or search it on google schoalar.

Hope this will help you.

1 Like

Just to clarify, ODK Collect renders XForms using a linear workflow (the only exception being a field-list). However this is not an intrinsic limitation of XForms per se; specifically (my) iXForms client renders an XForm in its true hierarchical form (think Settings app on your iPhone), permitting the user to navigate up/down/across the tree and answer questions in any order.

2 Likes

Correct, but there is also a hierarchy view that makes it possible to navigate the tree (see documentation). When client settings allow for non-linear navigation and make that menu available, Collect users can and do jump around non-linearly to fill out questions.

What @W_Brunette may be referring to is that the ODK-X form spec enables things like linking to specific questions or programmatically jumping to them. In some cases that makes things that XForms would use relevancy for easier to express or reason about.

3 Likes

@LN is correct. ODK-X provides "if/else if/else" statements and "goto" statements enabling the form designer the ability to design directed workflows that can "jump around" rather than the user using the hierarchy view allowing the user independently to "jump around" on their own.

3 Likes