1. What is the issue? Please be detailed.
I am using ODK to host a survey that needs to be entirely usable offline. The survey uses geopoint to capture the user's lat/long, which previously worked offline, though the query stalled for a few extra seconds compared to online. I have recently noticed that when pressing the button for geopoint when offline, the application never completes the lat/long capture. It does not throw an error, but it also seems to never complete. Upon further testing, I additional found that if I pressed the geopoint button while offline, waited through the old return period, then turned my Wifi back on, geopoint would instantly populate the results as if it was waiting for service to even perform the request, which defeats the purpose of my survey being available offline. Does anyone know of a fix, or if this is possibly something that broke with a recent library update?
2. What steps can we take to reproduce this issue?
Hypothetically, all you need is a survey with geopoint collection. There are some factors that may influence my issue, like this survey is in a self-hosted ODK server. I also originally had it set to the ODK web forms but switched to the old Enketo version after learning that ODK web forms don't support offline surveys (yet).
3. What have you tried to fix the issue?
I switched from ODK web forms to Enketo. I also manually updated my URL from the /f/ version to the /x/ to get offline surveys to work correctly. The offline location collection was previously working, so I'm not sure why it's suddenly stopped. Nothing in my XLS Form was changed.
We have recently had similar issues reported by our field team. After investigating, the issues might have originated from the Samsung Tab A 9/11(+) tablets since the recent firmware update and system upgrade to Android 16 /One UI 8.0/8.5. The old tablet (Samsung Tab A7) seems OK and works as usual. This issue is not happening to all our tablets; it is random. We don't have a solution yet.
We've so far been unable to reproduce this on our devices. Can you please tell us make/model and OS version?
Thanks for chiming in, @Alexander, it's helpful to know about your experience. @anorris is there any chance that your settings have changed since the last time you tried this? In particular, I would check to see what location permissions you have granted to your browser and the domain Central is running on. It's possible that coarse location access doesn't work offline, maybe? That sounds weird to me but also possible.
Hi! From what I've been able to figure out, it looks like the recent Android update messed up the location services, like Alexander mentioned. I have it temporarily fixed, but this seems to be a problem that disappears and reappears randomly. I'll be doing some troubleshooting on this device and testing my survey with alternate devices for now.
I've only done testing on a Samsung Tablet 9 that is running Android 16/UI 8.5. I fixed the issue by updating my settings within Chrome to allow for more accurate location collection, but so far, it's only worked correctly in the office (I have yet to test in an actual field environment).