Google sheets image filenames

1. What is the problem? Be very detailed.
When sending forms to Google sheets the image column is shown as a hyperlink to an image in a neighbouring folder, but without an indication of the actual filename. I can't find a way to export from Google sheets such that I can access the images offline (e.g. download the images folder and be able to cross reference these filenames instead of a hyperlink to Google Drive).
2. What app or server are you using and on what device and operating system? Include version numbers.
ODK Collect 1.23.2; Google Drive
3. What you have you tried to fix the problem?
It's a hyperlink and I can't find the image id / filename, so no idea how to fix - some other answers (e.g. Google spreadheets get image filename instead of URL shared link ) have work arounds, but this is not a long term / viable solution for collecting data that includes images
4. What steps can we take to reproduce the problem?

5. Anything else we should know or have? If you have a test form or screenshots or logs, attach below.
If it is possible to add a column with the image name that is in the same format as Briefcase that would be great, and the submission of images would be helpful not to have the full path from the data collection device as the image name.
This issue is the stumbling block for me going live with a new project with other remotely based team members, so it would really help to be able to solve this. It's much easier than setting up Central or Aggregate...

1 Like

Hi @seewhy

thanks for your thoughts. Probably this month I'll review the google sheets functionality since I have seen problems like yours and some others for example with location of those media files or uploading all forms to the first sheet.
I'll try to collect all those topics and hopefully together we will be able to find a good solution, so see you soon on the forum.

1 Like

Hi @Grzesiek2010
Thank you - your help on fixing this would be greatly appreciated. This is a really simple implementation for small work teams. Since ODK has updated to allow Google sheets to handle repeat-groups,this method of uploading data is excellent, so looking into these issues will make it more useful for data collation and analysis.
Many thanks

Hi @Grzesiek2010
Just wondering how your month has been :slight_smile: and if you've had a chance to look at the Google Sheets issues?

Many thanks

Not yet can't promise but it's something for October. I believe that I will have time then.

Hi @Grzesiek2010,

Now I feel like I'm hassling you, but I wondered how the Google Sheets issues are coming along?

I'm looking at ways to combine data assembled via briefcase from a 'Collect Directory' (i.e. temporary storage on my pc) and data sent to Google Sheets. At present I can't use the data downloaded from Google Sheets in my GIS and view the images (unless I'm online and click a link). I also need to do some jiggery pokery to get lat/long coordinates, because of the way that things are uploaded to Google Sheets:

There is a column called Location (comma separated Lat,Long), which in Aggregate / Briefcase, is separated into two (inserted) columns: Location-Latitude and Location-Longitude. I have an Excel calculation that separates that (if it's of any use to others), assuming that the Location column is A:

=LEFT(A2,FIND(",",A2)-1) to get Latitude
=MID(A2,FIND(",",A2)+1,20) to get Longitude

So if there is a way of uploading data to Google Sheets that has these two columns, that would be great - I understand why you have a comma separated column (for direct 'injection' to Google Maps), so it doesn't need to be removed.

Sorry to keep banging on about this, but I'm stuck with a dataset that I can't download and use offline due to the hyperlinks issue, and at some point soon I will be asked for a copy of it... The lat/long stuff I can get around, as you can see, but it would be really helpful to have consistency between different tools.

Many thanks.

Hi @seewhy
that's ok you are asking about it so no problem at all...
Unfortunately I haven't started working on it and it's still on my to do list what you can track here.

I really appreciate your comments and I'm sorry it takes so long.

Thanks for your reply - I know you're a busy man, so I feel a bit guilty 'nagging' you and no need to apologise for having a long list of tasks.

I have put a question on Stackoverflow to see if anyone can give me a temporary solution to the hyperlink / filename issue, so that should give you more breathing space :slight_smile: I will share it here if I get one, so that anyone in a similar situation can get round it. I can see good reasons why you designed it that way, so being able to click a link remains valid, it's an additional column that would be really helpful.

Let me know if you'd like any help trying to break things (sorry, undertake heuristic testing) when you get to that point - probably obvious by now that's my speciality!

1 Like

you can use google app scripts to rename the image files to something more familiar if they are stored in your drive.