GPS record problem

What is the problem? Please be detailed.
GPS record

problem
What ODK tool and version are you using? And on what device and operating system version?
ODK collect v1.15.1
What steps can we take to reproduce the problem?
how I could record the GPS location in short of time

What you have you tried to fix the problem?

previous I had used Active GPS apps on my smartphone to capture GPS location but now it is not working.

Anything else we should know or have? If you have a test form or screenshots or logs, attach here.

Getting a GPS fix off the available satellites can take some time, especially if you are out of cell phone coverage and do not already have a pretty precise time; eg if you fly somewhere and change timezones, it can take a bit longer for your phone to figure out (literally) where on earth it is... If you do wait for it to get a 'fix', is it a quicker the next time you try?

Note: "Satellites available: 0/24" means its still looking...

Oh, to eliminate the obvious, make sure your device actually has GPS hardware, and you haven't turned on "flight mode"

1 Like

In my smartphone, everything is in the right way like it has GPS hardware, local timezone. it took a long time sometimes 20 minutes which is quite unacceptable. In the real case, it will take a long time to go for further form completion.

Is there any way to boost up the process?

If your GPS device has moved a great distance and/or been offline for a while since its last fix (ie a 'cold start') then yes, it could take a long time to get a fix; that's just the nature of GPS technology; there is a pretty good layman's description of what's actually going on here. But once you have got a good fix your device should pick it up again pretty quick; hence why I asked if it is quicker the next time you try?

1 Like

Are you outside with a clear view of a large percentage of the sky? Tall buildings and dense canopy cover can all interfere with getting an accurate GPS lock.

If this is a new issue with a single particular device... is the GPS working in other apps? Something may have happened to damage/corrupt/etc the GPS hardware on the specific phone.

1 Like