Help! Duplicated variable name and edit ODK aggregate

Hi There!

I have two questions and would really appreciate if anyone could help me:

(1) I realized I had one variable that had a duplicated name in the choices work sheet. (I developed the codes using Excel). Because of this, I can not tell the difference between Strongly Agrees and Strongly Disagrees when I look at the bank at ODK Agregate. The list had the correct labels but they both had the name: "strongly_agrees". Are there anyway to go around that? If I could at least look at the forms the interviewees answered I could even fix it manually when after I export the data.

(2) I would like to add pictures to the bank at ODK Agreggate? It this possible? Can I edit the data bank at the Agreggate platform before exporting it?

Thank you!!!

(1) unfortunately, the saved values only save the choice value, not the
label, so there is no possibility of distinguishing these two answers
without manual review and interpretation of the surrounding answers to
adjust this one value.

However, it is not possible to do this edit and upload the corrected
submission to ODK Aggregate if the uncorrected submission is already
present on the server. You would have to manually delete the submission off
the server (something you can do if you are logged in as the super-user or
as a user with Form Management priviletes), and then you can submit the
corrected submission.

(2) Once you have a form definition (blank form) uploaded to ODK Aggregate,
you can make minor changes to the form by updating the form version when
you make these changes, and then use "Add New Form" to upload those
modifications to the server. The server will determine whether the changes
are acceptable. If they are not, you will get a form-already-exists error
and the changes will be rejected.

See https://opendatakit.org/help/form-design/guidelines/ for more on the
recommended format of the version setting.

··· On Tue, Jan 27, 2015 at 5:48 AM, Rafaela wrote:

Hi There!

I have two questions and would really appreciate if anyone could help me:

(1) I realized I had one variable that had a duplicated name in the
choices work sheet. (I developed the codes using Excel). Because of this, I
can not tell the difference between Strongly Agrees and Strongly Disagrees
when I look at the bank at ODK Agregate. The list had the correct labels
but they both had the name: "strongly_agrees". Are there anyway to go
around that? If I could at least look at the forms the interviewees
answered I could even fix it manually when after I export the data.

(2) I would like to add pictures to the bank at ODK Agreggate? It this
possible? Can I edit the data bank at the Agreggate platform before
exporting it?

Thank you!!!

--

Unsubscribe: opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"ODK Community" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
email to opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
Mitch Sundt
Software Engineer
University of Washington
mitchellsundt@gmail.com

Hi Mitch,

Ok. Thank you for your answer. Regarding my question (1), so there is no way I can download the questionnaires back to the tablets and check the answers? I don't mind having the wrong answers on ODK Aggregate but I was hoping I could edit manually the answers on an Excel sheet.

Shouldn't the variable names be unique?? I was just wondering how this mistake passed since I thought that the platform would not accept my Excel codes if there were duplicated variable names in the same choice list.

Thank you!

··· Em quinta-feira, 29 de janeiro de 2015 18:01:16 UTC-2, Mitch Sundt escreveu: > (1) unfortunately, the saved values only save the choice value, not the label, so there is no possibility of distinguishing these two answers without manual review and interpretation of the surrounding answers to adjust this one value. > > > However, it is not possible to do this edit and upload the corrected submission to ODK Aggregate if the uncorrected submission is already present on the server. You would have to manually delete the submission off the server (something you can do if you are logged in as the super-user or as a user with Form Management priviletes), and then you can submit the corrected submission. > > > (2) Once you have a form definition (blank form) uploaded to ODK Aggregate, you can make minor changes to the form by updating the form version when you make these changes, and then use "Add New Form" to upload those modifications to the server. The server will determine whether the changes are acceptable. If they are not, you will get a form-already-exists error and the changes will be rejected. > > See https://opendatakit.org/help/form-design/guidelines/ for more on the recommended format of the version setting. > > > > > > > > On Tue, Jan 27, 2015 at 5:48 AM, Rafaela wrote: > Hi There! > > > > I have two questions and would really appreciate if anyone could help me: > > > > (1) I realized I had one variable that had a duplicated name in the choices work sheet. (I developed the codes using Excel). Because of this, I can not tell the difference between Strongly Agrees and Strongly Disagrees when I look at the bank at ODK Agregate. The list had the correct labels but they both had the name: "strongly_agrees". Are there anyway to go around that? If I could at least look at the forms the interviewees answered I could even fix it manually when after I export the data. > > > > (2) I would like to add pictures to the bank at ODK Agreggate? It this possible? Can I edit the data bank at the Agreggate platform before exporting it? > > > > Thank you!!! > > > > -- > > -- > > Post: opend...@googlegroups.com > > Unsubscribe: opendatakit...@googlegroups.com > > Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en > > > > --- > > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "ODK Community" group. > > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to opendatakit...@googlegroups.com. > > For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout. > > > > > -- > > Mitch Sundt > Software Engineer > University of Washington > mitche...@gmail.com

Another quick question: do you know of any ODK expert service that I could hire to help me figure this one out? If there is any possibility of recovering these answers?

··· Em sexta-feira, 30 de janeiro de 2015 17:39:54 UTC-2, raf...@planpp.com escreveu: > Hi Mitch, > > Ok. Thank you for your answer. Regarding my question (1), so there is no way I can download the questionnaires back to the tablets and check the answers? I don't mind having the wrong answers on ODK Aggregate but I was hoping I could edit manually the answers on an Excel sheet. > > Shouldn't the variable names be unique?? I was just wondering how this mistake passed since I thought that the platform would not accept my Excel codes if there were duplicated variable names in the same choice list. > > Thank you! > > > Em quinta-feira, 29 de janeiro de 2015 18:01:16 UTC-2, Mitch Sundt escreveu: > > (1) unfortunately, the saved values only save the choice value, not the label, so there is no possibility of distinguishing these two answers without manual review and interpretation of the surrounding answers to adjust this one value. > > > > > > However, it is not possible to do this edit and upload the corrected submission to ODK Aggregate if the uncorrected submission is already present on the server. You would have to manually delete the submission off the server (something you can do if you are logged in as the super-user or as a user with Form Management priviletes), and then you can submit the corrected submission. > > > > > > (2) Once you have a form definition (blank form) uploaded to ODK Aggregate, you can make minor changes to the form by updating the form version when you make these changes, and then use "Add New Form" to upload those modifications to the server. The server will determine whether the changes are acceptable. If they are not, you will get a form-already-exists error and the changes will be rejected. > > > > See https://opendatakit.org/help/form-design/guidelines/ for more on the recommended format of the version setting. > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > On Tue, Jan 27, 2015 at 5:48 AM, Rafaela wrote: > > Hi There! > > > > > > > > I have two questions and would really appreciate if anyone could help me: > > > > > > > > (1) I realized I had one variable that had a duplicated name in the choices work sheet. (I developed the codes using Excel). Because of this, I can not tell the difference between Strongly Agrees and Strongly Disagrees when I look at the bank at ODK Agregate. The list had the correct labels but they both had the name: "strongly_agrees". Are there anyway to go around that? If I could at least look at the forms the interviewees answered I could even fix it manually when after I export the data. > > > > > > > > (2) I would like to add pictures to the bank at ODK Agreggate? It this possible? Can I edit the data bank at the Agreggate platform before exporting it? > > > > > > > > Thank you!!! > > > > > > > > -- > > > > -- > > > > Post: opend...@googlegroups.com > > > > Unsubscribe: opendatakit...@googlegroups.com > > > > Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en > > > > > > > > --- > > > > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "ODK Community" group. > > > > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to opendatakit...@googlegroups.com. > > > > For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout. > > > > > > > > > > -- > > > > Mitch Sundt > > Software Engineer > > University of Washington > > mitche...@gmail.com

The tools do not allow re-editing of completed submissions, so there is no
way to get these back to the tablet to edit.

i.e., your best bet is to export to CSV and create a formula column that
provides a corrected value for the field based upon other answers in the
row.

As you export and generate other CSVs, you can then copy the formula column
to those new XLSX data files, and avoid the manual editing of the data.

This has the advantage of consistently applying a set of rules to generate
the corrected column value across all your completed submissions - you
eliminate variability in the application of that logic.

··· ------- The re-used values in the choice list would ideally be detected as part of the XLSForm conversion process. I've created an issue on the XLSForm codebase for this https://github.com/XLSForm/pyxform/issues/23

Once the form is converted to XML, it is generally not possible for ODK
Validate to verify that the set of choices does not have value collisions
because it operates on a filtered set of values, and these are often empty
if there is any choice filter set up for the select question.

Mitch

On Fri, Jan 30, 2015 at 11:49 AM, rafaela@planpp.com wrote:

Another quick question: do you know of any ODK expert service that I could
hire to help me figure this one out? If there is any possibility of
recovering these answers?

Em sexta-feira, 30 de janeiro de 2015 17:39:54 UTC-2, raf...@planpp.com escreveu:

Hi Mitch,

Ok. Thank you for your answer. Regarding my question (1), so there is no
way I can download the questionnaires back to the tablets and check the
answers? I don't mind having the wrong answers on ODK Aggregate but I was
hoping I could edit manually the answers on an Excel sheet.

Shouldn't the variable names be unique?? I was just wondering how this
mistake passed since I thought that the platform would not accept my Excel
codes if there were duplicated variable names in the same choice list.

Thank you!

Em quinta-feira, 29 de janeiro de 2015 18:01:16 UTC-2, Mitch Sundt escreveu:

(1) unfortunately, the saved values only save the choice value, not
the label, so there is no possibility of distinguishing these two answers
without manual review and interpretation of the surrounding answers to
adjust this one value.

However, it is not possible to do this edit and upload the corrected
submission to ODK Aggregate if the uncorrected submission is already
present on the server. You would have to manually delete the submission off
the server (something you can do if you are logged in as the super-user or
as a user with Form Management priviletes), and then you can submit the
corrected submission.

(2) Once you have a form definition (blank form) uploaded to ODK
Aggregate, you can make minor changes to the form by updating the form
version when you make these changes, and then use "Add New Form" to upload
those modifications to the server. The server will determine whether the
changes are acceptable. If they are not, you will get a form-already-exists
error and the changes will be rejected.

See https://opendatakit.org/help/form-design/guidelines/ for more on
the recommended format of the version setting.

On Tue, Jan 27, 2015 at 5:48 AM, Rafaela raf...@planpp.com wrote:
Hi There!

I have two questions and would really appreciate if anyone could help
me:

(1) I realized I had one variable that had a duplicated name in the
choices work sheet. (I developed the codes using Excel). Because of this, I
can not tell the difference between Strongly Agrees and Strongly Disagrees
when I look at the bank at ODK Agregate. The list had the correct labels
but they both had the name: "strongly_agrees". Are there anyway to go
around that? If I could at least look at the forms the interviewees
answered I could even fix it manually when after I export the data.

(2) I would like to add pictures to the bank at ODK Agreggate? It this
possible? Can I edit the data bank at the Agreggate platform before
exporting it?

Thank you!!!

--

--

Unsubscribe: opendatakit...@googlegroups.com

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "ODK Community" group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send
an email to opendatakit...@googlegroups.com.

--

Mitch Sundt
Software Engineer
University of Washington
mitche...@gmail.com

--

Unsubscribe: opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"ODK Community" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
email to opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

--
Mitch Sundt
Software Engineer
University of Washington
mitchellsundt@gmail.com