How do I know the current repeat number?

Hi,

I am sure this has been asked before, but I can't seem to find it, possibly
because I do not know the correct words to describe the issue. I have been
using CSPro, in which this would be described as an occurence number.

Anyway: I am setting up a household questionnaire, which includes a
household roster. Before the household questionnaire I have added twenty
questions that ask for the name of each household member (I will do the
survey in Africa, 20 member households exist). I can refer to these names
later in later questions, which is great. Instead of asking for the
household member id I can just display the name. However, I would like to
be able to refer to these names from within the household roster. For
example: "How old is ${hh_member_nm_1}?" For this to work I would have to
know what occurence of the household roster I am in. After that, I would
still need to find a way to properly refer to the proper name:
hh_member_nm_1 the first time etc, but could just code 20 notes with a
relevance set to just one household member, so that'll work just fine.

Any ideas? If all else fails we could just use little pen and paper
notebooks to keep track of this, but the whole point was to eliminate
paper! :wink:

Thanks!
Koen

P.S. The whole thing with the 20 names I just came up with because it seems
I can not refer to hh_roster_name[1] in answer list, while I can easily
refer to answer values like ${hh_member_nm_1}. If this is mistaken, then my
whole problem would also just disappear.

Within XPath expressions, position() sort-of gives you the repeat position
of the current record (this acts like @position, but that doesn't work in
javarosa). Read up on XPath expressions to understand how position()
differs from the repeat index (i.e., due to filtering).

Often, you can use relative references to get at values that you need, so
you often don't need to know the index of the item you're on.

It may also be that the tools available ( Build / XLSForm ) do not give you
the ability to express what you want. The underlying XForms are more
powerful, but far more difficult to work with.

Mitch

··· On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 4:46 AM, Koen wrote:

Hi,

I am sure this has been asked before, but I can't seem to find it,
possibly because I do not know the correct words to describe the issue. I
have been using CSPro, in which this would be described as an occurence
number.

Thanks!
Koen

P.S. The whole thing with the 20 names I just came up with because it
seems I can not refer to hh_roster_name[1] in answer list, while I can
easily refer to answer values like ${hh_member_nm_1}. If this is mistaken,
then my whole problem would also just disappear.

--

Unsubscribe: opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"ODK Community" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
email to opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

--
Mitch Sundt
Software Engineer
University of Washington
mitchellsundt@gmail.com

Hi,

I am sure this has been asked before, but I can't seem to find it, possibly because I do not know the correct words to describe the issue. I have been using CSPro, in which this would be described as an occurence number.

Anyway: I am setting up a household questionnaire, which includes a household roster. Before the household questionnaire I have added twenty questions that ask for the name of each household member (I will do the survey in Africa, 20 member households exist). I can refer to these names later in later questions, which is great. Instead of asking for the household member id I can just display the name. However, I would like to be able to refer to these names from within the household roster. For example: "How old is ${hh_member_nm_1}?" For this to work I would have to know what occurence of the household roster I am in. After that, I would still need to find a way to properly refer to the proper name: hh_member_nm_1 the first time etc, but could just code 20 notes with a relevance set to just one household member, so that'll work just fine.

Any ideas? If all else fails we could just use little pen and paper notebooks to keep track of this, but the whole point was to eliminate paper! :wink:

Thanks!

Koen

P.S. The whole thing with the 20 names I just came up with because it seems I can not refer to hh_roster_name[1] in answer list, while I can easily refer to answer values like ${hh_member_nm_1}. If this is mistaken, then my whole problem would also just disappear.

try.xlsx (9.03 KB)

··· On Wednesday, March 6, 2013 6:46:25 PM UTC+6, Koen wrote:

Hi Mitch,

Thanks for your help. To be honest I have (virtually) no idea what I'm
doing within the XML file: I use XLSForm.

I've tried the following things;
To report the current position I have included a calculate in the repeat
group: position()
This doesn't quite work; it never gives me an error, but just reports 1 for
every occurence (repeat index?). Not sure why.

Then I tried to extract some info from the repeat group. This could be
useful for a number of things. Hasn't worked. This is mostly because
XLSForm tries to translate things to xpath for me I think. If I do
something of the sort:

/household_rostrer[postion() = 1]/age

I will try toying around with xml when I get to work tomorrow, but if you
know more and are willing to share, thanks! The first thing is my main
problem I suppose. I can get around the second issue by not including any
things I want to refer to later in repeats. (I am currently using it for
names only, and prefer to record them first anyway.)
Koen

··· Op woensdag 6 maart 2013 20:02:25 UTC+1 schreef Mitch het volgende: > > Within XPath expressions, position() sort-of gives you the repeat position > of the current record (this acts like @position, but that doesn't work in > javarosa). Read up on XPath expressions to understand how position() > differs from the repeat index (i.e., due to filtering). > > Often, you can use relative references to get at values that you need, so > you often don't need to know the index of the item you're on. > > It may also be that the tools available ( Build / XLSForm ) do not give > you the ability to express what you want. The underlying XForms are more > powerful, but far more difficult to work with. > > Mitch > > > On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 4:46 AM, Koen <koen.l...@gmail.com >wrote: > >> Hi, >> >> I am sure this has been asked before, but I can't seem to find it, >> possibly because I do not know the correct words to describe the issue. I >> have been using CSPro, in which this would be described as an occurence >> number. >> >> Anyway: I am setting up a household questionnaire, which includes a >> household roster. Before the household questionnaire I have added twenty >> questions that ask for the name of each household member (I will do the >> survey in Africa, 20 member households exist). I can refer to these names >> later in later questions, which is great. Instead of asking for the >> household member id I can just display the name. However, I would like to >> be able to refer to these names from within the household roster. For >> example: "How old is ${hh_member_nm_1}?" For this to work I would have to >> know what occurence of the household roster I am in. After that, I would >> still need to find a way to properly refer to the proper name: >> hh_member_nm_1 the first time etc, but could just code 20 notes with a >> relevance set to just one household member, so that'll work just fine. >> >> Any ideas? If all else fails we could just use little pen and paper >> notebooks to keep track of this, but the whole point was to eliminate >> paper! ;) >> >> Thanks! >> Koen >> >> P.S. The whole thing with the 20 names I just came up with because it >> seems I can not refer to hh_roster_name[1] in answer list, while I can >> easily refer to answer values like ${hh_member_nm_1}. If this is mistaken, >> then my whole problem would also just disappear. >> -- >> -- >> Post: opend...@googlegroups.com >> Unsubscribe: opendatakit...@googlegroups.com >> Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en >> >> --- >> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups >> "ODK Community" group. >> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an >> email to opendatakit...@googlegroups.com . >> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out. >> >> >> > > > > -- > Mitch Sundt > Software Engineer > University of Washington > mitche...@gmail.com

Dear friends,

I want explore some advance features in xlsform for odk collect. just now I
read this post and found this is very interesting. I have a query regarding
this. For example, in a repeat group I asked a person, personal details
like name, sex, age etc for each family members in his family, and after
exiting the repeat group i want to ask some more information to some of the
family member. I want to create a select_one field having all the name of
that family members, how do I do this. request you to give an idea, I tried
the file try.xls (attached in the previous post) ,but it's not showing the
name in the field.

Many thanks in advance.

··· On Saturday, January 3, 2015 at 11:50:40 AM UTC+5:30, sonam...@gmail.com wrote: > > On Wednesday, March 6, 2013 6:46:25 PM UTC+6, Koen wrote: > > Hi, > > > > > > > > I am sure this has been asked before, but I can't seem to find it, > possibly because I do not know the correct words to describe the issue. I > have been using CSPro, in which this would be described as an occurence > number. > > > > > > > > Anyway: I am setting up a household questionnaire, which includes a > household roster. Before the household questionnaire I have added twenty > questions that ask for the name of each household member (I will do the > survey in Africa, 20 member households exist). I can refer to these names > later in later questions, which is great. Instead of asking for the > household member id I can just display the name. However, I would like to > be able to refer to these names from within the household roster. For > example: "How old is ${hh_member_nm_1}?" For this to work I would have to > know what occurence of the household roster I am in. After that, I would > still need to find a way to properly refer to the proper name: > hh_member_nm_1 the first time etc, but could just code 20 notes with a > relevance set to just one household member, so that'll work just fine. > > > > > > > > Any ideas? If all else fails we could just use little pen and paper > notebooks to keep track of this, but the whole point was to eliminate > paper! ;) > > > > > > > > Thanks! > > > > Koen > > > > > > > > P.S. The whole thing with the 20 names I just came up with because it > seems I can not refer to hh_roster_name[1] in answer list, while I can > easily refer to answer values like ${hh_member_nm_1}. If this is mistaken, > then my whole problem would also just disappear. > >

I tried this a while back and don't think this is possible with position().
You'll probably need the preceding-sibling:: XPath axis for that (e.g.* **
count(../preceding-sibling::child)* ), which I believe is not supported in
the ODK libraries. It does work in enketo http://enketo.org/formtesterbut since it does not pass ODK Validate you'd have to somehow bypass this
(and no idea if that would cause other issues).

If you do find a way, please report back!

··· On Wednesday, March 6, 2013 1:07:56 PM UTC-7, Koen wrote: > > Hi Mitch, > > Thanks for your help. To be honest I have (virtually) no idea what I'm > doing within the XML file: I use XLSForm. > > I've tried the following things; > To report the current position I have included a calculate in the repeat > group: position() > This doesn't quite work; it never gives me an error, but just reports 1 > for every occurence (repeat index?). Not sure why. > > Then I tried to extract some info from the repeat group. This could be > useful for a number of things. Hasn't worked. This is mostly because > XLSForm tries to translate things to xpath for me I think. If I do > something of the sort: > > /household_rostrer[postion() = 1]/age > > I will try toying around with xml when I get to work tomorrow, but if you > know more and are willing to share, thanks! The first thing is my main > problem I suppose. I can get around the second issue by not including any > things I want to refer to later in repeats. (I am currently using it for > names only, and prefer to record them first anyway.) > Koen > > > > Op woensdag 6 maart 2013 20:02:25 UTC+1 schreef Mitch het volgende: >> >> Within XPath expressions, position() sort-of gives you the repeat >> position of the current record (this acts like @position, but that doesn't >> work in javarosa). Read up on XPath expressions to understand how >> position() differs from the repeat index (i.e., due to filtering). >> >> Often, you can use relative references to get at values that you need, so >> you often don't need to know the index of the item you're on. >> >> It may also be that the tools available ( Build / XLSForm ) do not give >> you the ability to express what you want. The underlying XForms are more >> powerful, but far more difficult to work with. >> >> Mitch >> >> >> On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 4:46 AM, Koen wrote: >> >>> Hi, >>> >>> I am sure this has been asked before, but I can't seem to find it, >>> possibly because I do not know the correct words to describe the issue. I >>> have been using CSPro, in which this would be described as an occurence >>> number. >>> >>> Anyway: I am setting up a household questionnaire, which includes a >>> household roster. Before the household questionnaire I have added twenty >>> questions that ask for the name of each household member (I will do the >>> survey in Africa, 20 member households exist). I can refer to these names >>> later in later questions, which is great. Instead of asking for the >>> household member id I can just display the name. However, I would like to >>> be able to refer to these names from within the household roster. For >>> example: "How old is ${hh_member_nm_1}?" For this to work I would have to >>> know what occurence of the household roster I am in. After that, I would >>> still need to find a way to properly refer to the proper name: >>> hh_member_nm_1 the first time etc, but could just code 20 notes with a >>> relevance set to just one household member, so that'll work just fine. >>> >>> Any ideas? If all else fails we could just use little pen and paper >>> notebooks to keep track of this, but the whole point was to eliminate >>> paper! ;) >>> >>> Thanks! >>> Koen >>> >>> P.S. The whole thing with the 20 names I just came up with because it >>> seems I can not refer to hh_roster_name[1] in answer list, while I can >>> easily refer to answer values like ${hh_member_nm_1}. If this is mistaken, >>> then my whole problem would also just disappear. >>> -- >>> -- >>> Post: opend...@googlegroups.com >>> Unsubscribe: opendatakit...@googlegroups.com >>> Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en >>> >>> --- >>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google >>> Groups "ODK Community" group. >>> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send >>> an email to opendatakit...@googlegroups.com. >>> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out. >>> >>> >>> >> >> >> >> -- >> Mitch Sundt >> Software Engineer >> University of Washington >> mitche...@gmail.com > >

Attached is a form with an example of using max() across a set of values
stored in a repeat group.

To get a list of names for display from a field within a repeat group, you
could use join(', ', ${fieldname) or concat(${fieldname}) instead of
something like max() or min().

See the functions that take nodeset arguments here:

NBiggestOfSet.xls (31.5 KB)

··· On Fri, Mar 25, 2016 at 9:07 AM, Sanjoy Rakshit wrote:

Dear friends,

I want explore some advance features in xlsform for odk collect. just now
I read this post and found this is very interesting. I have a query
regarding this. For example, in a repeat group I asked a person, personal
details like name, sex, age etc for each family members in his family, and
after exiting the repeat group i want to ask some more information to some
of the family member. I want to create a select_one field having all the
name of that family members, how do I do this. request you to give an idea,
I tried the file try.xls (attached in the previous post) ,but it's not
showing the name in the field.

Many thanks in advance.

On Saturday, January 3, 2015 at 11:50:40 AM UTC+5:30, sonam...@gmail.com wrote:

On Wednesday, March 6, 2013 6:46:25 PM UTC+6, Koen wrote:

Hi,

number.

Thanks!

Koen

--
--

"ODK Community" group.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
Mitch Sundt
Software Engineer
University of Washington
mitchellsundt@gmail.com

I concur with Martijn. position() doesn't work with ODK Collect.

If you search a post I made on the same subject some time back, someone
pointed me to an issue with javarosa, and why it's not currently supported.

··· On Thursday, March 7, 2013, Martijn van de Rijdt wrote:

I tried this a while back and don't think this is possible with
position(). You'll probably need the preceding-sibling:: XPath axis for
that (e.g.* *count(../preceding-sibling::child) ), which I believe is
not supported in the ODK libraries. It does work in enketohttp://enketo.org/formtesterbut since it does not pass ODK Validate you'd have to somehow bypass this

On Wednesday, March 6, 2013 1:07:56 PM UTC-7, Koen wrote:

Hi Mitch,

To report the current position I have included a calculate in the repeat
group: position()
This doesn't quite work; it never gives me an error, but just reports 1
for every occurence (repeat index?). Not sure why.

something of the sort:

I will try toying around with xml when I get to work tomorrow, but if you
know more and are willing to share, thanks! The first thing is my main
Koen

Op woensdag 6 maart 2013 20:02:25 UTC+1 schreef Mitch het volgende:

Within XPath expressions, position() sort-of gives you the repeat position
of the current record (this acts like @position, but that doesn't work in
javarosa). Read up on XPath expressions to understand how position()
differs from the repeat index (i.e., due to filtering).

Often, you can use relative references to get at values that you need, so
you often don't need to know the index of the item you're on.

It may also be that the tools available ( Build / XLSForm ) do not give
you the ability to express what you want. The underlying XForms are more
powerful, but far more difficult to work with.

Mitch

On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 4:46 AM, Koen koen.l...@gmail.com wrote:

Hi,

number.

Thanks!
Koen

--
Unsubscribe: opendatakit...@googlegroups.**com
Options: http://groups.google.com/**group/opendatakit?hl=enhttp://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en

"ODK Community" group.
To unsubs

--

Post: opendatakit@googlegroups.com <javascript:_e({}, 'cvml',
'opendatakit@googlegroups.com');>
Unsubscribe: opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com <javascript:_e({},
'cvml', 'opendatakit%2Bunsubscribe@googlegroups.com');>

"ODK Community" group.
email to opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com <javascript:_e({},
'cvml', 'opendatakit%2Bunsubscribe@googlegroups.com');>.

First say, many thanks for responding.

It's very helpful to learn, but I am not very well with nodeset arguments,
can it possible to add a field instead of second repeat group, asking the
user to choose one person's name which earlier entered in the first repeat
group. For example

in the first repeat group, I capture information about three perseons
Name Age Sex
Abc 23 Male
Pqr 19 Female
Xyz 21 Male

At the end of the repeat group, next question should be "Please select the
respondent" with following option
Abc
Pqr
Xyz

Again thanks for your valuable time..

··· On Friday, March 25, 2016 at 11:15:00 PM UTC+5:30, Mitch Sundt wrote: > > Attached is a form with an example of using max() across a set of values > stored in a repeat group. > > To get a list of names for display from a field within a repeat group, you > could use join(', ', ${fieldname) or concat(${fieldname}) instead of > something like max() or min(). > > See the functions that take nodeset arguments here: > > https://opendatakit.org/help/form-design/binding/ > > > On Fri, Mar 25, 2016 at 9:07 AM, Sanjoy Rakshit <sanjoy.i...@gmail.com > wrote: > >> Dear friends, >> >> I want explore some advance features in xlsform for odk collect. just now >> I read this post and found this is very interesting. I have a query >> regarding this. For example, in a repeat group I asked a person, personal >> details like name, sex, age etc for each family members in his family, and >> after exiting the repeat group i want to ask some more information to some >> of the family member. I want to create a select_one field having all the >> name of that family members, how do I do this. request you to give an idea, >> I tried the file try.xls (attached in the previous post) ,but it's not >> showing the name in the field. >> >> Many thanks in advance. >> >> >> >> >> >> On Saturday, January 3, 2015 at 11:50:40 AM UTC+5:30, sonam...@gmail.com wrote: >>> >>> On Wednesday, March 6, 2013 6:46:25 PM UTC+6, Koen wrote: >>> > Hi, >>> > >>> > >>> > >>> > I am sure this has been asked before, but I can't seem to find it, >>> possibly because I do not know the correct words to describe the issue. I >>> have been using CSPro, in which this would be described as an occurence >>> number. >>> > >>> > >>> > >>> > Anyway: I am setting up a household questionnaire, which includes a >>> household roster. Before the household questionnaire I have added twenty >>> questions that ask for the name of each household member (I will do the >>> survey in Africa, 20 member households exist). I can refer to these names >>> later in later questions, which is great. Instead of asking for the >>> household member id I can just display the name. However, I would like to >>> be able to refer to these names from within the household roster. For >>> example: "How old is ${hh_member_nm_1}?" For this to work I would have to >>> know what occurence of the household roster I am in. After that, I would >>> still need to find a way to properly refer to the proper name: >>> hh_member_nm_1 the first time etc, but could just code 20 notes with a >>> relevance set to just one household member, so that'll work just fine. >>> > >>> > >>> > >>> > Any ideas? If all else fails we could just use little pen and paper >>> notebooks to keep track of this, but the whole point was to eliminate >>> paper! ;) >>> > >>> > >>> > >>> > Thanks! >>> > >>> > Koen >>> > >>> > >>> > >>> > P.S. The whole thing with the 20 names I just came up with because it >>> seems I can not refer to hh_roster_name[1] in answer list, while I can >>> easily refer to answer values like ${hh_member_nm_1}. If this is mistaken, >>> then my whole problem would also just disappear. >>> >>> -- >> -- >> Post: opend...@googlegroups.com >> Unsubscribe: opendatakit...@googlegroups.com >> Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en >> >> --- >> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups >> "ODK Community" group. >> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an >> email to opendatakit...@googlegroups.com . >> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout. >> > > > > -- > Mitch Sundt > Software Engineer > University of Washington > mitche...@gmail.com >

Okay seems clear that there is no elegant solution. I have decided my time
is better spent on other things.

I have now implemented the following, extremely ugly, workaround:

The only part of the household roster which I refer to a lot in the rest of
the survey is the names. These are now in 20 separate questions. (If one is
left empty, the rest is skipped). Using some also very ugly calculated
fields it counts the number of non-empty names, which is how many times the
household roster will be repeated.
The first question in the householdroster is now: "Please enter the number
in parentheses above", which yields the number I'm afer: the member id.
This is followed by 20 notes, each set to be relevant for only one member
id, which displays the name of that member: E.g. "Please answer the
following question for Koen".

This does all I want from it, it's just very ugly, and not flexible at all.
So it's hard to extend the idea to other rosters that I might include
later. It also opens the door for user error in typing the member id code:
but with extra training and supervision that should remain manageable.

Fortunately Excel can automate the generation of names and relevance codes
etc., so it's actually not too much work using XLSForm.

Koen

··· Op donderdag 7 maart 2013 02:52:03 UTC+1 schreef ニコノコ het volgende: > > > I concur with Martijn. position() doesn't work with ODK Collect. > > If you search a post I made on the same subject some time back, someone > pointed me to an issue with javarosa, and why it's not currently supported. > > On Thursday, March 7, 2013, Martijn van de Rijdt wrote: > >> I tried this a while back and don't think this is possible with >> position(). You'll probably need the preceding-sibling:: XPath axis for >> that (e.g.* **count(../preceding-sibling::child)* ), which I believe is >> not supported in the ODK libraries. It does work in enketobut since it does not pass ODK Validate you'd have to somehow bypass this >> (and no idea if that would cause other issues). >> >> If you do find a way, please report back! >> >> On Wednesday, March 6, 2013 1:07:56 PM UTC-7, Koen wrote: >> >> Hi Mitch, >> >> Thanks for your help. To be honest I have (virtually) no idea what I'm >> doing within the XML file: I use XLSForm. >> >> I've tried the following things; >> To report the current position I have included a calculate in the repeat >> group: position() >> This doesn't quite work; it never gives me an error, but just reports 1 >> for every occurence (repeat index?). Not sure why. >> >> Then I tried to extract some info from the repeat group. This could be >> useful for a number of things. Hasn't worked. This is mostly because >> XLSForm tries to translate things to xpath for me I think. If I do >> something of the sort: >> >> /household_rostrer[postion() = 1]/age >> >> I will try toying around with xml when I get to work tomorrow, but if you >> know more and are willing to share, thanks! The first thing is my main >> problem I suppose. I can get around the second issue by not including any >> things I want to refer to later in repeats. (I am currently using it for >> names only, and prefer to record them first anyway.) >> Koen >> >> >> >> Op woensdag 6 maart 2013 20:02:25 UTC+1 schreef Mitch het volgende: >> >> Within XPath expressions, position() sort-of gives you the repeat >> position of the current record (this acts like @position, but that doesn't >> work in javarosa). Read up on XPath expressions to understand how >> position() differs from the repeat index (i.e., due to filtering). >> >> Often, you can use relative references to get at values that you need, so >> you often don't need to know the index of the item you're on. >> >> It may also be that the tools available ( Build / XLSForm ) do not give >> you the ability to express what you want. The underlying XForms are more >> powerful, but far more difficult to work with. >> >> Mitch >> >> >> On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 4:46 AM, Koen wrote: >> >> Hi, >> >> I am sure this has been asked before, but I can't seem to find it, >> possibly because I do not know the correct words to describe the issue. I >> have been using CSPro, in which this would be described as an occurence >> number. >> >> Anyway: I am setting up a household questionnaire, which includes a >> household roster. Before the household questionnaire I have added twenty >> questions that ask for the name of each household member (I will do the >> survey in Africa, 20 member households exist). I can refer to these names >> later in later questions, which is great. Instead of asking for the >> household member id I can just display the name. However, I would like to >> be able to refer to these names from within the household roster. For >> example: "How old is ${hh_member_nm_1}?" For this to work I would have to >> know what occurence of the household roster I am in. After that, I would >> still need to find a way to properly refer to the proper name: >> hh_member_nm_1 the first time etc, but could just code 20 notes with a >> relevance set to just one household member, so that'll work just fine. >> >> Any ideas? If all else fails we could just use little pen and paper >> notebooks to keep track of this, but the whole point was to eliminate >> paper! ;) >> >> Thanks! >> Koen >> >> P.S. The whole thing with the 20 names I just came up with because it >> seems I can not refer to hh_roster_name[1] in answer list, while I can >> easily refer to answer values like ${hh_member_nm_1}. If this is mistaken, >> then my whole problem would also just disappear. >> -- >> -- >> Post: opend...@googlegroups.com >> Unsubscribe: opendatakit...@googlegroups.com >> Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en >> >> --- >> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups >> "ODK Community" group. >> To unsubs >> >> -- >> -- >> Post: opendatakit@googlegroups.com >> Unsubscribe: opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com >> Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en >> >> --- >> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups >> "ODK Community" group. >> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an >> email to opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com. >> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out. >> >> >> >

Hi Koen,
Can you share the xls / xml of your solution. I am trying to achieve
something similar to you and at the end of the day, I guess it only matters
if it works !

Vivek

··· On Thursday, 7 March 2013 15:23:51 UTC+5:30, Koen wrote: > > Okay seems clear that there is no elegant solution. I have decided my time > is better spent on other things. > > I have now implemented the following, extremely ugly, workaround: > > The only part of the household roster which I refer to a lot in the rest > of the survey is the names. These are now in 20 separate questions. (If one > is left empty, the rest is skipped). Using some also very ugly calculated > fields it counts the number of non-empty names, which is how many times the > household roster will be repeated. > The first question in the householdroster is now: "Please enter the number > in parentheses above", which yields the number I'm afer: the member id. > This is followed by 20 notes, each set to be relevant for only one member > id, which displays the name of that member: E.g. "Please answer the > following question for Koen". > > This does all I want from it, it's just very ugly, and not flexible at > all. So it's hard to extend the idea to other rosters that I might include > later. It also opens the door for user error in typing the member id code: > but with extra training and supervision that should remain manageable. > > Fortunately Excel can automate the generation of names and relevance codes > etc., so it's actually not too much work using XLSForm. > > Koen > > Op donderdag 7 maart 2013 02:52:03 UTC+1 schreef ニコノコ het volgende: >> >> >> I concur with Martijn. position() doesn't work with ODK Collect. >> >> If you search a post I made on the same subject some time back, someone >> pointed me to an issue with javarosa, and why it's not currently supported. >> >> On Thursday, March 7, 2013, Martijn van de Rijdt wrote: >> >>> I tried this a while back and don't think this is possible with >>> position(). You'll probably need the preceding-sibling:: XPath axis for >>> that (e.g.* **count(../preceding-sibling::child)* ), which I believe is >>> not supported in the ODK libraries. It does work in enketobut since it does not pass ODK Validate you'd have to somehow bypass this >>> (and no idea if that would cause other issues). >>> >>> If you do find a way, please report back! >>> >>> On Wednesday, March 6, 2013 1:07:56 PM UTC-7, Koen wrote: >>> >>> Hi Mitch, >>> >>> Thanks for your help. To be honest I have (virtually) no idea what I'm >>> doing within the XML file: I use XLSForm. >>> >>> I've tried the following things; >>> To report the current position I have included a calculate in the repeat >>> group: position() >>> This doesn't quite work; it never gives me an error, but just reports 1 >>> for every occurence (repeat index?). Not sure why. >>> >>> Then I tried to extract some info from the repeat group. This could be >>> useful for a number of things. Hasn't worked. This is mostly because >>> XLSForm tries to translate things to xpath for me I think. If I do >>> something of the sort: >>> >>> /household_rostrer[postion() = 1]/age >>> >>> I will try toying around with xml when I get to work tomorrow, but if >>> you know more and are willing to share, thanks! The first thing is my main >>> problem I suppose. I can get around the second issue by not including any >>> things I want to refer to later in repeats. (I am currently using it for >>> names only, and prefer to record them first anyway.) >>> Koen >>> >>> >>> >>> Op woensdag 6 maart 2013 20:02:25 UTC+1 schreef Mitch het volgende: >>> >>> Within XPath expressions, position() sort-of gives you the repeat >>> position of the current record (this acts like @position, but that doesn't >>> work in javarosa). Read up on XPath expressions to understand how >>> position() differs from the repeat index (i.e., due to filtering). >>> >>> Often, you can use relative references to get at values that you need, >>> so you often don't need to know the index of the item you're on. >>> >>> It may also be that the tools available ( Build / XLSForm ) do not give >>> you the ability to express what you want. The underlying XForms are more >>> powerful, but far more difficult to work with. >>> >>> Mitch >>> >>> >>> On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 4:46 AM, Koen wrote: >>> >>> Hi, >>> >>> I am sure this has been asked before, but I can't seem to find it, >>> possibly because I do not know the correct words to describe the issue. I >>> have been using CSPro, in which this would be described as an occurence >>> number. >>> >>> Anyway: I am setting up a household questionnaire, which includes a >>> household roster. Before the household questionnaire I have added twenty >>> questions that ask for the name of each household member (I will do the >>> survey in Africa, 20 member households exist). I can refer to these names >>> later in later questions, which is great. Instead of asking for the >>> household member id I can just display the name. However, I would like to >>> be able to refer to these names from within the household roster. For >>> example: "How old is ${hh_member_nm_1}?" For this to work I would have to >>> know what occurence of the household roster I am in. After that, I would >>> still need to find a way to properly refer to the proper name: >>> hh_member_nm_1 the first time etc, but could just code 20 notes with a >>> relevance set to just one household member, so that'll work just fine. >>> >>> Any ideas? If all else fails we could just use little pen and paper >>> notebooks to keep track of this, but the whole point was to eliminate >>> paper! ;) >>> >>> Thanks! >>> Koen >>> >>> P.S. The whole thing with the 20 names I just came up with because it >>> seems I can not refer to hh_roster_name[1] in answer list, while I can >>> easily refer to answer values like ${hh_member_nm_1}. If this is mistaken, >>> then my whole problem would also just disappear. >>> -- >>> -- >>> Post: opend...@googlegroups.com >>> Unsubscribe: opendatakit...@googlegroups.com >>> Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en >>> >>> --- >>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google >>> Groups "ODK Community" group. >>> To unsubs >>> >>> -- >>> -- >>> Post: opendatakit@googlegroups.com >>> Unsubscribe: opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com >>> Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en >>> >>> --- >>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google >>> Groups "ODK Community" group. >>> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send >>> an email to opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com. >>> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out. >>> >>> >>> >>

Yes. See this explanation of XPath expressions:

Hopefully that will clarify how to create what you want.

··· On Fri, Mar 25, 2016 at 11:28 AM, Sanjoy Rakshit <sanjoy.info.stat@gmail.com wrote:

It's very helpful to learn, but I am not very well with nodeset arguments,
can it possible to add a field instead of second repeat group, asking the
user to choose one person's name which earlier entered in the first repeat
group. For example

Name Age Sex
Abc 23 Male
Pqr 19 Female
Xyz 21 Male

Abc
Pqr
Xyz

On Friday, March 25, 2016 at 11:15:00 PM UTC+5:30, Mitch Sundt wrote:

To get a list of names for display from a field within a repeat group,
you could use join(', ', ${fieldname) or concat(${fieldname}) instead of

https://opendatakit.org/help/form-design/binding/

On Fri, Mar 25, 2016 at 9:07 AM, Sanjoy Rakshit sanjoy.i...@gmail.com wrote:

Dear friends,

I want explore some advance features in xlsform for odk collect. just
now I read this post and found this is very interesting. I have a query

Many thanks in advance.

Hi,

number.

Thanks!

Koen

--
--
Unsubscribe: opendatakit...@googlegroups.com

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "ODK Community" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send
an email to opendatakit...@googlegroups.com.

--
Mitch Sundt
Software Engineer
University of Washington
mitche...@gmail.com

--

"ODK Community" group.

--
Mitch Sundt
Software Engineer
University of Washington
mitchellsundt@gmail.com

Hi,

We decided not to use a repeat group for the household roster at all.
Instead, I made 20 copies of all questions. For this to be possible, I made
sure that things are numbered using references to one cell that contains
the repeat count. Unfortunately, most of this got lost in translation
somewhere where I had to paste values to a new excel file, but basically
instead of hardcoding hh_gender_1 for member 1's gender, you write in excel
="hh_gender_"&B23, where B23 is the cell where you write the repeat number.

To use skips you wirte something like ="${"&B44&"}='1'" in the "relevant
column, where B44 would be the cell containing the name of the variable on
which the relevance depends.

I used the same mechanics to create a flexible numbering scheme, in two
helper columns.

This way, you can just make sure your questions work, and if they do,
copy-paste them twenty times. You'll get a huge file, but it's the best I
could think of.

koen

Household_Roster.xls (235 KB)

··· On Wednesday, June 19, 2013 8:52:51 AM UTC+2, Vivek Gupta wrote: > > Hi Koen, > Can you share the xls / xml of your solution. I am trying to achieve > something similar to you and at the end of the day, I guess it only matters > if it works ! > > Vivek > > On Thursday, 7 March 2013 15:23:51 UTC+5:30, Koen wrote: >> >> Okay seems clear that there is no elegant solution. I have decided my >> time is better spent on other things. >> >> I have now implemented the following, extremely ugly, workaround: >> >> The only part of the household roster which I refer to a lot in the rest >> of the survey is the names. These are now in 20 separate questions. (If one >> is left empty, the rest is skipped). Using some also very ugly calculated >> fields it counts the number of non-empty names, which is how many times the >> household roster will be repeated. >> The first question in the householdroster is now: "Please enter the >> number in parentheses above", which yields the number I'm afer: the member >> id. This is followed by 20 notes, each set to be relevant for only one >> member id, which displays the name of that member: E.g. "Please answer the >> following question for Koen". >> >> This does all I want from it, it's just very ugly, and not flexible at >> all. So it's hard to extend the idea to other rosters that I might include >> later. It also opens the door for user error in typing the member id code: >> but with extra training and supervision that should remain manageable. >> >> Fortunately Excel can automate the generation of names and relevance >> codes etc., so it's actually not too much work using XLSForm. >> >> Koen >> >> Op donderdag 7 maart 2013 02:52:03 UTC+1 schreef ニコノコ het volgende: >>> >>> >>> I concur with Martijn. position() doesn't work with ODK Collect. >>> >>> If you search a post I made on the same subject some time back, someone >>> pointed me to an issue with javarosa, and why it's not currently supported. >>> >>> On Thursday, March 7, 2013, Martijn van de Rijdt wrote: >>> >>>> I tried this a while back and don't think this is possible with >>>> position(). You'll probably need the preceding-sibling:: XPath axis for >>>> that (e.g.* **count(../preceding-sibling::child)* ), which I believe >>>> is not supported in the ODK libraries. It does work in enketobut since it does not pass ODK Validate you'd have to somehow bypass this >>>> (and no idea if that would cause other issues). >>>> >>>> If you do find a way, please report back! >>>> >>>> On Wednesday, March 6, 2013 1:07:56 PM UTC-7, Koen wrote: >>>> >>>> Hi Mitch, >>>> >>>> Thanks for your help. To be honest I have (virtually) no idea what I'm >>>> doing within the XML file: I use XLSForm. >>>> >>>> I've tried the following things; >>>> To report the current position I have included a calculate in the >>>> repeat group: position() >>>> This doesn't quite work; it never gives me an error, but just reports 1 >>>> for every occurence (repeat index?). Not sure why. >>>> >>>> Then I tried to extract some info from the repeat group. This could be >>>> useful for a number of things. Hasn't worked. This is mostly because >>>> XLSForm tries to translate things to xpath for me I think. If I do >>>> something of the sort: >>>> >>>> /household_rostrer[postion() = 1]/age >>>> >>>> I will try toying around with xml when I get to work tomorrow, but if >>>> you know more and are willing to share, thanks! The first thing is my main >>>> problem I suppose. I can get around the second issue by not including any >>>> things I want to refer to later in repeats. (I am currently using it for >>>> names only, and prefer to record them first anyway.) >>>> Koen >>>> >>>> >>>> >>>> Op woensdag 6 maart 2013 20:02:25 UTC+1 schreef Mitch het volgende: >>>> >>>> Within XPath expressions, position() sort-of gives you the repeat >>>> position of the current record (this acts like @position, but that doesn't >>>> work in javarosa). Read up on XPath expressions to understand how >>>> position() differs from the repeat index (i.e., due to filtering). >>>> >>>> Often, you can use relative references to get at values that you need, >>>> so you often don't need to know the index of the item you're on. >>>> >>>> It may also be that the tools available ( Build / XLSForm ) do not give >>>> you the ability to express what you want. The underlying XForms are more >>>> powerful, but far more difficult to work with. >>>> >>>> Mitch >>>> >>>> >>>> On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 4:46 AM, Koen wrote: >>>> >>>> Hi, >>>> >>>> I am sure this has been asked before, but I can't seem to find it, >>>> possibly because I do not know the correct words to describe the issue. I >>>> have been using CSPro, in which this would be described as an occurence >>>> number. >>>> >>>> Anyway: I am setting up a household questionnaire, which includes a >>>> household roster. Before the household questionnaire I have added twenty >>>> questions that ask for the name of each household member (I will do the >>>> survey in Africa, 20 member households exist). I can refer to these names >>>> later in later questions, which is great. Instead of asking for the >>>> household member id I can just display the name. However, I would like to >>>> be able to refer to these names from within the household roster. For >>>> example: "How old is ${hh_member_nm_1}?" For this to work I would have to >>>> know what occurence of the household roster I am in. After that, I would >>>> still need to find a way to properly refer to the proper name: >>>> hh_member_nm_1 the first time etc, but could just code 20 notes with a >>>> relevance set to just one household member, so that'll work just fine. >>>> >>>> Any ideas? If all else fails we could just use little pen and paper >>>> notebooks to keep track of this, but the whole point was to eliminate >>>> paper! ;) >>>> >>>> Thanks! >>>> Koen >>>> >>>> P.S. The whole thing with the 20 names I just came up with because it >>>> seems I can not refer to hh_roster_name[1] in answer list, while I can >>>> easily refer to answer values like ${hh_member_nm_1}. If this is mistaken, >>>> then my whole problem would also just disappear. >>>> -- >>>> -- >>>> Post: opend...@googlegroups.com >>>> Unsubscribe: opendatakit...@googlegroups.com >>>> Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en >>>> >>>> --- >>>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google >>>> Groups "ODK Community" group. >>>> To unsubs >>>> >>>> -- >>>> -- >>>> Post: opendatakit@googlegroups.com >>>> Unsubscribe: opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com >>>> Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en >>>> >>>> --- >>>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google >>>> Groups "ODK Community" group. >>>> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send >>>> an email to opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com. >>>> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out. >>>> >>>> >>>> >>>

But I don't know if this can be expressed directly in XLSForm or if you
will need to hand-edit the form afterward to change an itemset expression
to what you need.

··· On Tue, May 17, 2016 at 2:38 PM, Mitch Sundt wrote:

https://opendatakit.org/help/form-design/#xpath_expressions

On Fri, Mar 25, 2016 at 11:28 AM, Sanjoy Rakshit < sanjoy.info.stat@gmail.com> wrote:

It's very helpful to learn, but I am not very well with nodeset
arguments, can it possible to add a field instead of second repeat group,
asking the user to choose one person's name which earlier entered in the
first repeat group. For example

Name Age Sex
Abc 23 Male
Pqr 19 Female
Xyz 21 Male

At the end of the repeat group, next question should be "Please select
the respondent" with following option
Abc
Pqr
Xyz

Dear friends,

Many thanks in advance.

Hi,

number.

Thanks!

Koen

P.S. The whole thing with the 20 names I just came up with because
it seems I can not refer to hh_roster_name[1] in answer list, while I can

--
--

--
Mitch Sundt
Software Engineer
University of Washington
mitche...@gmail.com

--

"ODK Community" group.

--
Mitch Sundt
Software Engineer
University of Washington
mitchellsundt@gmail.com

--
Mitch Sundt
Software Engineer
University of Washington
mitchellsundt@gmail.com

Thanks Koen
I shall give it a try as well. Meanwhile i came across another method as
well which i have documented in another of my posts in the group.
Bests
Vivek

··· On 19 Jun 2013 17:36, "Koen" wrote:

Hi,

We decided not to use a repeat group for the household roster at all.
Instead, I made 20 copies of all questions. For this to be possible, I made
sure that things are numbered using references to one cell that contains
the repeat count. Unfortunately, most of this got lost in translation
somewhere where I had to paste values to a new excel file, but basically
instead of hardcoding hh_gender_1 for member 1's gender, you write in excel
="hh_gender_"&B23, where B23 is the cell where you write the repeat number.

To use skips you wirte something like ="${"&B44&"}='1'" in the "relevant
column, where B44 would be the cell containing the name of the variable on
which the relevance depends.

I used the same mechanics to create a flexible numbering scheme, in two
helper columns.

This way, you can just make sure your questions work, and if they do,
copy-paste them twenty times. You'll get a huge file, but it's the best I
could think of.

koen

On Wednesday, June 19, 2013 8:52:51 AM UTC+2, Vivek Gupta wrote:

Hi Koen,
Can you share the xls / xml of your solution. I am trying to achieve
something similar to you and at the end of the day, I guess it only matters
if it works !

Vivek

On Thursday, 7 March 2013 15:23:51 UTC+5:30, Koen wrote:

Okay seems clear that there is no elegant solution. I have decided my
time is better spent on other things.

I have now implemented the following, extremely ugly, workaround:

The only part of the household roster which I refer to a lot in the rest
of the survey is the names. These are now in 20 separate questions. (If one
is left empty, the rest is skipped). Using some also very ugly calculated
fields it counts the number of non-empty names, which is how many times the
household roster will be repeated.
The first question in the householdroster is now: "Please enter the
number in parentheses above", which yields the number I'm afer: the member
id. This is followed by 20 notes, each set to be relevant for only one
member id, which displays the name of that member: E.g. "Please answer the
following question for Koen".

This does all I want from it, it's just very ugly, and not flexible at
all. So it's hard to extend the idea to other rosters that I might include
later. It also opens the door for user error in typing the member id code:
but with extra training and supervision that should remain manageable.

Fortunately Excel can automate the generation of names and relevance
codes etc., so it's actually not too much work using XLSForm.

Koen

Op donderdag 7 maart 2013 02:52:03 UTC+1 schreef ニコノコ het volgende:

I concur with Martijn. position() doesn't work with ODK Collect.

If you search a post I made on the same subject some time back, someone
pointed me to an issue with javarosa, and why it's not currently supported.

On Thursday, March 7, 2013, Martijn van de Rijdt wrote:

I tried this a while back and don't think this is possible with
position(). You'll probably need the preceding-sibling:: XPath axis for
that (e.g.* *count(../preceding-sibling::child) ), which I believe
is not supported in the ODK libraries. It does work in enketohttp://enketo.org/formtesterbut since it does not pass ODK Validate you'd have to somehow bypass this

On Wednesday, March 6, 2013 1:07:56 PM UTC-7, Koen wrote:

Hi Mitch,

To report the current position I have included a calculate in the
repeat group: position()
This doesn't quite work; it never gives me an error, but just reports
1 for every occurence (repeat index?). Not sure why.

something of the sort:

I will try toying around with xml when I get to work tomorrow, but if
you know more and are willing to share, thanks! The first thing is my main
Koen

Op woensdag 6 maart 2013 20:02:25 UTC+1 schreef Mitch het volgende:

Within XPath expressions, position() sort-of gives you the repeat
position of the current record (this acts like @position, but that doesn't
work in javarosa). Read up on XPath expressions to understand how
position() differs from the repeat index (i.e., due to filtering).

Often, you can use relative references to get at values that you need,
so you often don't need to know the index of the item you're on.

It may also be that the tools available ( Build / XLSForm ) do not
give you the ability to express what you want. The underlying XForms are
more powerful, but far more difficult to work with.

Mitch

On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 4:46 AM, Koen koen.l...@gmail.com wrote:

Hi,

number.

Thanks!
Koen

--

To unsubs

--

an email to opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

--
--

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the
Google Groups "ODK Community" group.
To unsubscribe from this topic, visit
https://groups.google.com/d/topic/opendatakit/yNx9nldIKZo/unsubscribe.
To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to
opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

Again thanks for the idea, I used indexed-repeat() and position() and it
resolved my query almost. But when I use dynamic repeat group (don't know
the number of repeat), I can not create the dynamic options for the
drop-down as I don't know how many repeats are there. Hope you will share
your knowledge to solve my query.

In the first repeat group, I capture information about # persons
Name Age Sex
Abc 23 Male
Pqr 19 Female
Xyz 21 Male

Abc
Pqr
Xyz

Thanks and Regards
Sanjoy

··· On Wed, May 18, 2016 at 3:09 AM, Mitch Sundt wrote:

to what you need.

On Tue, May 17, 2016 at 2:38 PM, Mitch Sundt mitchellsundt@gmail.com wrote:

On Fri, Mar 25, 2016 at 11:28 AM, Sanjoy Rakshit < sanjoy.info.stat@gmail.com> wrote:

Name Age Sex
Abc 23 Male
Pqr 19 Female
Xyz 21 Male

Abc
Pqr
Xyz

Attached is a form with an example of using max() across a set of
values stored in a repeat group.

Dear friends,

Many thanks in advance.

Hi,

number.

Thanks!

Koen

--
--

--
Mitch Sundt
Software Engineer
University of Washington
mitche...@gmail.com

--

--
Mitch Sundt
Software Engineer
University of Washington
mitchellsundt@gmail.com

--
Mitch Sundt
Software Engineer
University of Washington
mitchellsundt@gmail.com

--

--
Regards
Sanjoy Rakshit

You will generally need to make an assumption as to the upper limit on the

of repeats.

I don't know of any solution that could work with an unlimited number.

(the 2.0 tools take a completely different approach and can support
something like this, but these are not yet released).

··· On Tue, May 17, 2016 at 10:15 PM, Sanjoy Rakshit <sanjoy.info.stat@gmail.com wrote:

Name Age Sex
Abc 23 Male
Pqr 19 Female
Xyz 21 Male

Abc
Pqr
Xyz

Thanks and Regards
Sanjoy

On Wed, May 18, 2016 at 3:09 AM, Mitch Sundt mitchellsundt@gmail.com wrote:

to what you need.

Name Age Sex
Abc 23 Male
Pqr 19 Female
Xyz 21 Male

Abc
Pqr
Xyz

On Fri, Mar 25, 2016 at 9:07 AM, Sanjoy Rakshit <sanjoy.i...@gmail.com wrote:

Dear friends,

Many thanks in advance.

Hi,

number.

Anyway: I am setting up a household questionnaire, which includes
a household roster. Before the household questionnaire I have added twenty

Any ideas? If all else fails we could just use little pen and
paper notebooks to keep track of this, but the whole point was to eliminate

Thanks!

Koen

--
--

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it,
send an email to opendatakit...@googlegroups.com.

--
Mitch Sundt
Software Engineer
University of Washington
mitche...@gmail.com

--

--
Mitch Sundt
Software Engineer
University of Washington
mitchellsundt@gmail.com

--
Mitch Sundt
Software Engineer
University of Washington
mitchellsundt@gmail.com

--

--
Regards
Sanjoy Rakshit

--

"ODK Community" group.

--
Mitch Sundt
Software Engineer
University of Washington
mitchellsundt@gmail.com

Thank you for your suggestive reply and your valuable time.

··· On Jun 10, 2016 4:04 AM, "Mitch Sundt" wrote:

You will generally need to make an assumption as to the upper limit on the

of repeats.

I don't know of any solution that could work with an unlimited number.

(the 2.0 tools take a completely different approach and can support
something like this, but these are not yet released).

On Tue, May 17, 2016 at 10:15 PM, Sanjoy Rakshit < sanjoy.info.stat@gmail.com> wrote:

Name Age Sex
Abc 23 Male
Pqr 19 Female
Xyz 21 Male

Abc
Pqr
Xyz

Thanks and Regards
Sanjoy

On Wed, May 18, 2016 at 3:09 AM, Mitch Sundt mitchellsundt@gmail.com wrote:

to what you need.

Name Age Sex
Abc 23 Male
Pqr 19 Female
Xyz 21 Male

Abc
Pqr
Xyz

To get a list of names for display from a field within a repeat
group, you could use join(', ', ${fieldname) or concat(${fieldname})
instead of something like max() or min().

On Fri, Mar 25, 2016 at 9:07 AM, Sanjoy Rakshit < sanjoy.i...@gmail.com> wrote:

Dear friends,

I want explore some advance features in xlsform for odk collect.
just now I read this post and found this is very interesting. I have a
query regarding this. For example, in a repeat group I asked a person,
personal details like name, sex, age etc for each family members in his
family, and after exiting the repeat group i want to ask some more
information to some of the family member. I want to create a select_one
field having all the name of that family members, how do I do this. request
you to give an idea, I tried the file try.xls (attached in the previous
post) ,but it's not showing the name in the field.

Many thanks in advance.

Hi,

I am sure this has been asked before, but I can't seem to find
it, possibly because I do not know the correct words to describe the issue.
I have been using CSPro, in which this would be described as an occurence
number.

Anyway: I am setting up a household questionnaire, which includes
a household roster. Before the household questionnaire I have added twenty

Any ideas? If all else fails we could just use little pen and
paper notebooks to keep track of this, but the whole point was to eliminate

Thanks!

Koen

P.S. The whole thing with the 20 names I just came up with
because it seems I can not refer to hh_roster_name[1] in answer list, while
I can easily refer to answer values like ${hh_member_nm_1}. If this is
mistaken, then my whole problem would also just disappear.

--
--

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it,
send an email to opendatakit...@googlegroups.com.

--
Mitch Sundt
Software Engineer
University of Washington
mitche...@gmail.com

--

--
Mitch Sundt
Software Engineer
University of Washington
mitchellsundt@gmail.com

--
Mitch Sundt
Software Engineer
University of Washington
mitchellsundt@gmail.com

--

--
Regards
Sanjoy Rakshit

--

"ODK Community" group.

--
Mitch Sundt
Software Engineer
University of Washington
mitchellsundt@gmail.com

--