How ODK is being used by local government in SA

I'd be very interested in learning more how ODK is being used by local government in SA; please do share more. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello Gareth,
We have been provided data collection services and data presentation platforms using ODK for a range of projects including:

• Sanitation: Auditing of the construction of VIP toilets
  • Housing: Monitoring the construction of low cost housing projects
  • Civil Engineering: Site diaries and progress monitoring on large Civil Engineering projects
  • Environmental management: Monitoring of sewer and water incidents on rivers
  • Environmental and Health and Safety auditing: ISO compliant audits for various organisations
  • Asset management: Data capture and analysis for both movable and infrastructure assets
  • Community satisfaction surveys

Let me know if you would like any further information.

Regards
Paul

3 Likes

Ha! I think @tomsmyth might be interested to see and compare some of your toilet inspection forms... :grin:

So no joke now, I am very interested to learn how you are going about asset management with ODK/Collect/Aggregate tool stack; specifically tying (standalone) 'surveys' - aka forms/inspections - against very specific fixed asset data... This is quite related to how we might go about conducting longitudinal surveys (basically 're-inspections') against previously acquired, known data entities using ODK.

Hello,
We have spent a bit of time modifying ODK collect for our purposes and manage the "longitudinal surveys" with a combination of the items below.

1. An asset register is compiled with a well structured location hierarchy and this is accessed via a csv file
  2. If we have good GIS data we can use this in a spatial view and can select a geofeature by clicking it on the map
  3. All data posted back to the server is verified before updating the asset register/inspection register and the csv files are automatically regenerated.
  4. Modified csv data is then synchronised when the form is next opened
1 Like

Project Abalobi is using various ODK forms to collate small-scale fisheries data in support of the new small-scale fisheries policy.
Seeing Swans have performed 12,000 survey of informal structures in the Western Cape. Their customized ODK Aggregate provides real-time reporting and statistics.
Wharton School of Business is using ODK in a three year survey to study health and entrepreneurship in townships around Tshwane.
There is ongoing work to port CyberTracker's data collection tools to the ODK platform.
If you want more info about ODK useage in differernt country,check here: https://docsbay.net/history

This just makes me happy to read :slight_smile: