How to change Instance class of ODK-Aggregate AppEngine on GCP?

HELLO ODK Forum users and contributors,

0. Context: We use ODK-Aggregate on Google Cloud Platform (GCP) since many years and, now, want to change the **instance class of the Application Engine from F2 to F1. F means automatic scaling, F1 including 256 MB memory limit and a 600 MHz CPU limit compared to F2 = 512 MB memory limit and a 1.2 GHz CPU limit.

1. What is the issue? Please be detailed.
We have been searching an option in GCP Console, either in the BILLING or in the AppEngine module of the GCP console to make this change and have not found this feature/function! So, does anyone have experience with this and either have a solution or could help to fix/change this?

3. What have you tried to fix the issue?
I understand with PYTHON implementations on GCP, there is an app.yaml file in which the instance class can be configured/set on command line, e.g., changing it from F2 to F1. However, per my understanding from reading other support issues and resolutions in this forum, ODK Aggregate on GCP is a JAVA implementation?

TO CONCLUDE: We appreciate any feedback, insight or help with this small yet costly issue to change the AppEngine Instance class from F2 to F1 on Google Cloud Platform (GCP).

Best regards, Urs @Team Eos Entrepreneur Foundation | Fundación Eos Emprendedores

Please note that Aggregate is no longer being supported. This was first announced in January 2019 and finalized as of May 2021. Central is now the ODK server. The post below has for more details about the end-of-life for Aggregate.

However, there is a chance someone on the forum may still be able to help you.

Hi Dan and ODK Forum participants and contributors,

Thank you Dan for your response - YES, I am fully aware that CENTRAL is the new CLOUD back-end platform standard. For your project, which will run for 1+ additional years and as we do not have any technical bugs with Aggregate, we decided to continue to use AGGREGATE as back-end application engine in the cloud and not reinstall and migrate the data, which is an effort in itself!

Coming back to our issue: it is only a question of insight as the AGGREGATE and/or CENTRAL application engine was deployed automatically in 2018 - which was great on one end - and therefore we do not know how and where to change some PARAMETERS such as the instance class in the Google Cloud Platform (GCP) from F2 to F1.
I still very much appreciate any insight or support with this, especially from any forum member having the experience or the knowledge of making this change happen in GCP.

Best regards, Urs

Try https://docs.getodk.org/aggregate-boost-performance/#increasing-web-server-size. No guarantees that it'll work.

Thank you Yaw for the tip.

I will definitely look into that and will try that - will keep you posted on progress made, i.e. whether it works or not.

Best regards, Urs