How to design forms with skip logic?

I'm designing forms with ODKbuild and it does not have elaborate skip
logic like Openxdata. What software can I use to design xforms with
skip logic that works with ODK collect and ODK aggregate?

Also, can forms designed in OpenXdata work with Opendata kit?

Hi Edwin:

Currently in Build you can use the Relevance field under advanced to manually write skip logic. Barring that, a logic editor is something we are working on and should be out in the next month or so.

Thanks,
—Clint

··· On Jan 7, 2011, at 1:49 AM, Edwin Mugendi wrote:

use the "relevance" option in the "advance" options to do that.
eg type (/data/Meter_type='Credit') without the brackets if the previous question was about the type of meter.

··· On Friday, 7 January 2011 09:49:24 UTC, Edwin Mugendi wrote: > I'm designing forms with ODKbuild and it does not have elaborate skip > > logic like Openxdata. What software can I use to design xforms with > > skip logic that works with ODK collect and ODK aggregate? > > > > Also, can forms designed in OpenXdata work with Opendata kit?

Hi Edwin,

Forms designed from openXdata can work with ODK ONLY if they turn on the
switch which results into creating JR/ODK compatible xforms.
But this has to be decided by the openXdata dev team before the end user can
take advantage of it.
In other wards, the form designer in openxdata (purcforms) is capable of
generating xforms which can be consumed by JR clients like ODK.

An alternative that you can use with skip logic is:
http://purcforms.appspot.com/FormDesigner.html
But it is not as user friendly as ODKBuild. Since you come from the
openXdata world, it should look familiar. Otherwise it is the same form
designer component as in openXdata but with the JR switch turned on.

··· On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 12:56 PM, Clint Tseng wrote:

Hi Edwin:

Currently in Build you can use the Relevance field under advanced to
manually write skip logic. Barring that, a logic editor is something we are
working on and should be out in the next month or so.

Thanks,
—Clint

On Jan 7, 2011, at 1:49 AM, Edwin Mugendi edwinmugendi@gmail.com wrote:

--
If we keep uppermost in our minds the unkind and unjust acts of others, we
shall find it impossible to love them as Christ has loved us; but if our
thoughts dwell upon the wondrous love and pity of Christ for us, the same
spirit will flow out to others.

hi Edwin
Implementing skip logic with ODK Build. Once you have created the question
that the logic will apply to.
On the right panel, click on Advanced(while the question being selected) and
you'll find the Relevance input_field.
The relevance is where your add your logic to the xform using odk build
eg:
/data/age = 5
this will show this the qn only if age if equal to 5 and skip otherwise (
and you have the age qn before the skip qn)
note: odk build puts everything in data tag hence it's good to
start with /data/ when referencing

··· On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 1:43 PM, Daniel Kayiwa wrote:

Hi Edwin,

Forms designed from openXdata can work with ODK ONLY if they turn on the
switch which results into creating JR/ODK compatible xforms.
But this has to be decided by the openXdata dev team before the end user
can take advantage of it.
In other wards, the form designer in openxdata (purcforms) is capable of
generating xforms which can be consumed by JR clients like ODK.

An alternative that you can use with skip logic is:
http://purcforms.appspot.com/FormDesigner.html
But it is not as user friendly as ODKBuild. Since you come from the
openXdata world, it should look familiar. Otherwise it is the same form
designer component as in openXdata but with the JR switch turned on.

On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 12:56 PM, Clint Tseng cxlt@cs.washington.eduwrote:

Hi Edwin:

Currently in Build you can use the Relevance field under advanced to
manually write skip logic. Barring that, a logic editor is something we are
working on and should be out in the next month or so.

Thanks,
—Clint

On Jan 7, 2011, at 1:49 AM, Edwin Mugendi edwinmugendi@gmail.com wrote:

--
If we keep uppermost in our minds the unkind and unjust acts of others, we
shall find it impossible to love them as Christ has loved us; but if our
thoughts dwell upon the wondrous love and pity of Christ for us, the same
spirit will flow out to others.

--
Allen Machary.

hello ODK developers

Can I write

relevant = "data/type = 'abc' or data/type = 'def'"

if I want to show a question for type 'abc' and 'def' but not for
'ghi'?

or should I write it another way?

Thank you very much

··· On Jan 10, 1:07 pm, Allen Machary wrote: > hi Edwin > Implementing skip logic with ODK Build. Once you have created the question > that the logic will apply to. > On the right panel, click on Advanced(while the question being selected) and > you'll find the Relevance input_field. > The relevance is where your add your logic to the xform using odk build > eg: > /data/age = 5 > this will show this the qn only if age if equal to 5 and skip otherwise ( > and you have the age qn before the skip qn) > note: odk build puts everything in data tag hence it's good to > start with /data/ when referencing > > On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 1:43 PM, Daniel Kayiwa wrote: > > > > > > > > > > > > > Hi Edwin, > > > Forms designed from openXdata can work with ODK ONLY if they turn on the > > switch which results into creating JR/ODK compatible xforms. > > But this has to be decided by the openXdata dev team before the end user > > can take advantage of it. > > In other wards, the form designer in openxdata (purcforms) is capable of > > generating xforms which can be consumed by JR clients like ODK. > > > An alternative that you can use with skip logic is: > >http://purcforms.appspot.com/FormDesigner.html > > But it is not as user friendly as ODKBuild. Since you come from the > > openXdata world, it should look familiar. Otherwise it is the same form > > designer component as in openXdata but with the JR switch turned on. > > > On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 12:56 PM, Clint Tseng wrote: > > >> Hi Edwin: > > >> Currently in Build you can use the Relevance field under advanced to > >> manually write skip logic. Barring that, a logic editor is something we are > >> working on and should be out in the next month or so. > > >> Thanks, > >> —Clint > > >> On Jan 7, 2011, at 1:49 AM, Edwin Mugendi wrote: > > >> > I'm designing forms with ODKbuild and it does not have elaborate skip > >> > logic like Openxdata. What software can I use to design xforms with > >> > skip logic that works with ODK collect and ODK aggregate? > > >> > Also, can forms designed in OpenXdata work with Opendata kit? > > > -- > > If we keep uppermost in our minds the unkind and unjust acts of others, we > > shall find it impossible to love them as Christ has loved us; but if our > > thoughts dwell upon the wondrous love and pity of Christ for us, the same > > spirit will flow out to others. > > -- > Allen Machary.

make sure you've read over the following...

https://bitbucket.org/javarosa/javarosa/wiki/xform
https://bitbucket.org/javarosa/javarosa/wiki/buildxforms
http://code.google.com/p/opendatakit/source/browse/?repo=forms

if you use an xpath expression in the relevance attribute, it will work. try
relevant = "/data/type= 'abc' and /data/type = 'def'"
relevant = "/data/type != 'ghi'"

··· On Sun, Feb 27, 2011 at 22:23, Private Sector Promotion (SMEDSEP) Program wrote: > hello ODK developers > > Can I write > > relevant = "data/type = 'abc' or data/type = 'def'" > > if I want to show a question for type 'abc' and 'def' but not for > 'ghi'? > > or should I write it another way? > > Thank you very much > > > On Jan 10, 1:07 pm, Allen Machary wrote: >> hi Edwin >> Implementing skip logic with ODK Build. Once you have created the question >> that the logic will apply to. >> On the right panel, click on Advanced(while the question being selected) and >> you'll find the Relevance input_field. >> The relevance is where your add your logic to the xform using odk build >> eg: >> /data/age = 5 >> this will show this the qn only if age if equal to 5 and skip otherwise ( >> and you have the age qn before the skip qn) >> note: odk build puts everything in data tag hence it's good to >> start with /data/ when referencing >> >> On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 1:43 PM, Daniel Kayiwa wrote: >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> > Hi Edwin, >> >> > Forms designed from openXdata can work with ODK ONLY if they turn on the >> > switch which results into creating JR/ODK compatible xforms. >> > But this has to be decided by the openXdata dev team before the end user >> > can take advantage of it. >> > In other wards, the form designer in openxdata (purcforms) is capable of >> > generating xforms which can be consumed by JR clients like ODK. >> >> > An alternative that you can use with skip logic is: >> >http://purcforms.appspot.com/FormDesigner.html >> > But it is not as user friendly as ODKBuild. Since you come from the >> > openXdata world, it should look familiar. Otherwise it is the same form >> > designer component as in openXdata but with the JR switch turned on. >> >> > On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 12:56 PM, Clint Tseng wrote: >> >> >> Hi Edwin: >> >> >> Currently in Build you can use the Relevance field under advanced to >> >> manually write skip logic. Barring that, a logic editor is something we are >> >> working on and should be out in the next month or so. >> >> >> Thanks, >> >> —Clint >> >> >> On Jan 7, 2011, at 1:49 AM, Edwin Mugendi wrote: >> >> >> > I'm designing forms with ODKbuild and it does not have elaborate skip >> >> > logic like Openxdata. What software can I use to design xforms with >> >> > skip logic that works with ODK collect and ODK aggregate? >> >> >> > Also, can forms designed in OpenXdata work with Opendata kit? >> >> > -- >> > If we keep uppermost in our minds the unkind and unjust acts of others, we >> > shall find it impossible to love them as Christ has loved us; but if our >> > thoughts dwell upon the wondrous love and pity of Christ for us, the same >> > spirit will flow out to others. >> >> -- >> Allen Machary.

copy the xml into dpaste.com and send the list a link.

··· On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 02:30, Arvin dela Cruz wrote: > Thank you very very much! Yes will read through the links you mentioned. The 'or' statement doesn't seem to work as ODK Collect crashes if I put it in the relevant field (for the skip logic) of ODK Build. > > Arvin > > On Feb 28, 2011, at 5:33 PM, Yaw Anokwa wrote: > >> make sure you've read over the following... >> >> https://bitbucket.org/javarosa/javarosa/wiki/xform >> https://bitbucket.org/javarosa/javarosa/wiki/buildxforms >> http://code.google.com/p/opendatakit/source/browse/?repo=forms >> >> if you use an xpath expression in the relevance attribute, it will work. try >> relevant = "/data/type= 'abc' and /data/type = 'def'" >> relevant = "/data/type != 'ghi'" >> >> >> On Sun, Feb 27, 2011 at 22:23, Private Sector Promotion (SMEDSEP) Program wrote: >>> hello ODK developers >>> >>> Can I write >>> >>> relevant = "data/type = 'abc' or data/type = 'def'" >>> >>> if I want to show a question for type 'abc' and 'def' but not for >>> 'ghi'? >>> >>> or should I write it another way? >>> >>> Thank you very much >>> >>> >>> On Jan 10, 1:07 pm, Allen Machary wrote: >>>> hi Edwin >>>> Implementing skip logic with ODK Build. Once you have created the question >>>> that the logic will apply to. >>>> On the right panel, click on Advanced(while the question being selected) and >>>> you'll find the Relevance input_field. >>>> The relevance is where your add your logic to the xform using odk build >>>> eg: >>>> /data/age = 5 >>>> this will show this the qn only if age if equal to 5 and skip otherwise ( >>>> and you have the age qn before the skip qn) >>>> note: odk build puts everything in data tag hence it's good to >>>> start with /data/ when referencing >>>> >>>> On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 1:43 PM, Daniel Kayiwa wrote: >>>> >>>> >>>> >>>> >>>> >>>> >>>> >>>> >>>> >>>> >>>> >>>>> Hi Edwin, >>>> >>>>> Forms designed from openXdata can work with ODK ONLY if they turn on the >>>>> switch which results into creating JR/ODK compatible xforms. >>>>> But this has to be decided by the openXdata dev team before the end user >>>>> can take advantage of it. >>>>> In other wards, the form designer in openxdata (purcforms) is capable of >>>>> generating xforms which can be consumed by JR clients like ODK. >>>> >>>>> An alternative that you can use with skip logic is: >>>>> http://purcforms.appspot.com/FormDesigner.html >>>>> But it is not as user friendly as ODKBuild. Since you come from the >>>>> openXdata world, it should look familiar. Otherwise it is the same form >>>>> designer component as in openXdata but with the JR switch turned on. >>>> >>>>> On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 12:56 PM, Clint Tseng wrote: >>>> >>>>>> Hi Edwin: >>>> >>>>>> Currently in Build you can use the Relevance field under advanced to >>>>>> manually write skip logic. Barring that, a logic editor is something we are >>>>>> working on and should be out in the next month or so. >>>> >>>>>> Thanks, >>>>>> —Clint >>>> >>>>>> On Jan 7, 2011, at 1:49 AM, Edwin Mugendi wrote: >>>> >>>>>>> I'm designing forms with ODKbuild and it does not have elaborate skip >>>>>>> logic like Openxdata. What software can I use to design xforms with >>>>>>> skip logic that works with ODK collect and ODK aggregate? >>>> >>>>>>> Also, can forms designed in OpenXdata work with Opendata kit? >>>> >>>>> -- >>>>> If we keep uppermost in our minds the unkind and unjust acts of others, we >>>>> shall find it impossible to love them as Christ has loved us; but if our >>>>> thoughts dwell upon the wondrous love and pity of Christ for us, the same >>>>> spirit will flow out to others. >>>> >>>> -- >>>> Allen Machary. >