How to disable PostgreSQL ,Cert bot and Redis images permanently in ODkCentral Docker

1. What is the problem? Be very detailed.
Please help me , I want to disable PostgreSQL ,Certbot and Redis image permanently running inside odkcentral in docker

2. What app or server are you using and on what device and operating system? Include version numbers.

• Odkcentral in docker
  • Local server (physical server)
  • PostgreSQL

3. What you have you tried to fix the problem?
I have tried to run commands for disable

docker-compose stop postgres
docker-compose stop redis

But unfortunately all of these commands doesn't work

4. What steps can we take to reproduce the problem?
Any useful commands
File system location

5. Anything else we should know or have? If you have a test form or screenshots or logs, attach below.

Hi @Melkiory

The central docker-compose.yaml file is here

I am not a docker expert but I am sure the services you want to permanently disable are required for ODK Central to run.

Out of interest what are your motivations for permanently disabling the services?

3 Likes

Thank you @Ronald_Munjoma

I want to disable these service because

• We are using PostgreSQL(central configured to use external postgres) which is locally installed in physical server so we want to disable the postgres comes with odkcentral in order to save memory , because the machine gonna run two postgreSQL server one in local machine(which we are using) and the one inside the central-docker which we aren't using so we want to disable postgres service inside docker container

• We want to disable Redis image permanently because the internet connection here is bit slow so we don't want cache from redis so we were asking is it possible to do this

• We also want to disable certbot service because we are using local machine machine generated certificate, so we want to disable the this service permanently

Both Redis databases (main and cache) are a requirement for web forms and data editing. If you remove either, you'll break those features and likely break Central in other subtle ways.

If you follow the using a custom ssl cert documentation, it automatically disables certbot.

The PostgreSQL DB when idle does not use a meaningful amount of RAM. You can confirm this with docker ps stats. If you want to remove it, you can remove all references to it from the docker-compose.yml file. You'll have to adjust the parameters in the call to wait-for-it.sh to point to your external PostgreSQL database as described at using a custom database server.

Note that these changes will most certainly add to your maintenance burden when you upgrade because you'll have to deal with any git merge conflicts.

My recommendation is to leave everything alone. If you choose to make these kinds of undocumented changes, you'll be on your own as far as support.

1 Like

Thank you for the clear explanation