How to download data from ODK Central from different projects at the same time

1. What is the problem? Be very detailed.
We just switched to ODK Central and I have 16 projects with same forms. How do I pull or download the data from these 16 projects so I can append for my snap analysis?

2. What app or server are you using and on what device and operating system? Include version numbers.
ODK Central

3. What you have you tried to fix the problem?
I tried with ODK Briefcase

4. What steps can we take to reproduce the problem?
I just want to know if there is a quick way to download the data

5. Anything else we should know or have? If you have a test form or screenshots or logs, attach below.
No

You can use the OData feed with Excel/PowerBI and pull the data from various forms and projects into a single workbook or dashboard. If you use R, ruODK is a great alternative that will do something similar.

All that said, I'm curious. Why do you have 16 projects with the same forms? Why are things structured that way?

1 Like

Thanks very much for the response. I am collecting the same data from 16 regions in Ghana. I have to crone the forms with regional specific schools so that ODK doesn't break, reason for using the same for 16 projects.

I'm not sure I understand why ODK would break in this scenario. You can have identical forms with slightly different form IDs (e.g., my_form_ashanti, my_form_volta), then create an app user per district and assign the specific forms to those app users. You could also use a single form where enumerator choose the region and the specific school from a cascading select.

And to be clear, I'm not saying what you did was wrong! I'm just trying to understand if you knew about some of the alternatives and why you chose your particular approach.

1 Like

Perfect idea!
But the data on the choices tab is huge with all data put together as one form. When I converted the xml file, it was 13Mb and I could not test it on my tablet (the ODK Collect got broken). I think I exceeded the limit. :worried: I have about 5435 school list from all 16 regions, 826 Supervisors list, 826 circuit_name list, etc. So really my form is that huge and have to crone it into region specific forms. I am still learning and would want to know more about ODK Central.

Many thanks,

Build the selects from a CSV as described at https://docs.getodk.org/form-datasets/#building-selects-from-csv-files.

Most mobile devices released in 2019 or later can handle lists of 50,000 or more without slowdowns, so 5,500 schools should work just fine.