How to force form update

1. What is the problem? Be very detailed.
Hello, my situation is that I have a form that has to be updated, I have to add another question. The thing is that I want to force my enumerators to update to the latest form version. Previously, this process was done by itself because when I added an extra question to an existing form, previous form answers would throw an error on ODK Collect. This method stopped working, so I started to change the XLSX name before generating the XML and that did the trick. Now, it seems that that method no longer works and I do not know how to force the user to update the form.

Right now, the answers filled with previous versions still save but leave the new questions blank, and I cannot have that.

2. What app or server are you using and on what device and operating system? Include version numbers.

ODK Collect v1.26.3
XLSForm Online v2.1.0
ODK Aggregate v2.0.3

3. What you have you tried to fix the problem?
Changing the XLSX name and adding new questions to the form.

4. What steps can we take to reproduce the problem?
Have a form with 1 question, then deploy and download it in ODK Collect. Upload version 2 of the form with 2 required questions. Send a version 1 form answer to the server and you'll see that the second question is blank.

Thank you for any help.

Hi @Marco! You can enable automatic download of new versions of forms in Collect's settings. This will force Collect to check for new form versions on the server and download them if they're found.

There is also discussion around changes to this feature here. Please feel free to post feedback if you have any!

Thank you, I did not know that existed and I will tell them to use it. Still, I know that a lot of our users will not do it, so I would still like to know if there is a way to force it, like showing an error on old versions or something.

Thanks