How to run ODK collect in French

Does anyone know how to run ODK collect in French? I would like the prompts
and buttons all to appear in french

ODK Collect 1.2 has much more complete language support than 1.1.7, in
large part because Yaw found and set up a great community-supported
web-based language-translation workflow. Thank you Yaw!

If you use ODK Collect 1.2, if your phone is configured for French
language, it should use our 'fr' strings and labels, which look to be 100%
complete.

Once you have the app displaying french prompts, the form will open up in
whatever language the prompts were defined in. If that is an inappropriate
language, you can change the language using the menu button while within
the form. After that, ODK Collect will use that language setting as the
default language for that form for all future uses of the form.

Mitch

··· On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 6:01 AM, Nabil mansouri wrote:

Does anyone know how to run ODK collect in French? I would like the
prompts and buttons all to appear in french

--
Unsubscribe: opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en

--
Mitch Sundt
Software Engineer
University of Washington
mitchellsundt@gmail.com

Mitch, Yaw

could you ellaborate a bit please. I can see the "change language" button -
which makes me very hopful - but nothing happens when I push it. My device
is set the German.

I'd be happy to provide the german translations for the
"community-supported web-based language-translation workflow", if that's
the issue. But not sure where I can this...

Thanks
Thomas

··· Am Freitag, 13. Juli 2012 18:55:00 UTC+2 schrieb Mitch: > > ODK Collect 1.2 has much more complete language support than 1.1.7, in > large part because Yaw found and set up a great community-supported > web-based language-translation workflow. Thank you Yaw! > > If you use ODK Collect 1.2, if your phone is configured for French > language, it should use our 'fr' strings and labels, which look to be 100% > complete. > > Once you have the app displaying french prompts, the form will open up in > whatever language the prompts were defined in. If that is an inappropriate > language, you can change the language using the menu button while within > the form. After that, ODK Collect will use that language setting as the > default language for that form for all future uses of the form. > > Mitch > > On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 6:01 AM, Nabil mansouri <nabil.m...@gmail.com wrote: > >> Does anyone know how to run ODK collect in French? I would like the >> prompts and buttons all to appear in french >> >> -- >> Post: opend...@googlegroups.com >> Unsubscribe: opendatakit...@googlegroups.com >> Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en >> > > > > -- > Mitch Sundt > Software Engineer > University of Washington > mitche...@gmail.com >

The "change language" button in the ODK Collect settings only changes
the form language (if you prepared a multilingual form). The language of
ODK Collect itself depends on the language selected in the android
settings. So, if you have the device in German, then ODK will show you
the options in German (if is prepared for) otherwise I suppose the
default language is English.

I've seen that the strings.xml file under "de" language is not
translated. I'm sure that the ODK team will contact you to do it if you
want, as they do with me and the catalan (ca) version, witch is
available in current collect version.

Regards

Al 28/08/2012 11:00, En/na Thomas G�tschi ha escrit:

··· > Mitch, Yaw > > could you ellaborate a bit please. I can see the "change language" > button - which makes me very hopful - but nothing happens when I push > it. My device is set the German. > > I'd be happy to provide the german translations for the > "community-supported web-based language-translation workflow", if > that's the issue. But not sure where I can this... > > Thanks > Thomas > > Am Freitag, 13. Juli 2012 18:55:00 UTC+2 schrieb Mitch: > > ODK Collect 1.2 has much more complete language support than > 1.1.7, in large part because Yaw found and set up a great > community-supported web-based language-translation workflow. Thank > you Yaw! > > If you use ODK Collect 1.2, if your phone is configured for French > language, it should use our 'fr' strings and labels, which look to > be 100% complete. > > Once you have the app displaying french prompts, the form will > open up in whatever language the prompts were defined in. If that > is an inappropriate language, you can change the language using > the menu button while within the form. After that, ODK Collect > will use that language setting as the default language for that > form for all future uses of the form. > > Mitch > > On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 6:01 AM, Nabil mansouri <nabil.m...@gmail.com > wrote: > > Does anyone know how to run ODK collect in French? I would > like the prompts and buttons all to appear in french > -- > Post: opend...@googlegroups.com > Unsubscribe: opendatakit...@googlegroups.com > Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en > > > > > > -- > Mitch Sundt > Software Engineer > University of Washington > mitche...@gmail.com > > -- > Post: opendatakit@googlegroups.com > Unsubscribe: opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com > Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en

My question has to do with changing the language on the default text for things like "Other" and "Specify Other" within a survey. I've successfully switched the ODK Collect default language to Portuguese and the instructions on the ODK Collect homepage look great (Swipe Left/Right, etc. are translated). However, when I'm taking the survey and come across a question where I have specified "Other" as a choice (in XLS Form > select_one [option list] or_other) the text is still in English. ("Other" and then "Specify Other" instead of the PT translation.)

I'm guessing that this set text is specified in the XML file, but I don't know how to edit that to the Portuguese translation. Is there an easy way to switch the language on those "Other" and "Specify Other" labels?

Thanks so much.
Rachel

··· On Tuesday, August 28, 2012 2:55:45 AM UTC-7, Francesc wrote: > The "change language" button in the ODK > Collect settings only changes the form language (if you prepared > a multilingual form). The language of ODK Collect itself depends > on the language selected in the android settings. So, if you have > the device in German, then ODK will show you the options in German > (if is prepared for) otherwise I suppose the default language is > English. > > > > I've seen that the strings.xml file under "de" language is not > translated. I'm sure that the ODK team will contact you to do it > if you want, as they do with me and the catalan (ca) version, > witch is available in current collect version. > > > > Regards > > > > > > > > Al 28/08/2012 11:00, En/na Thomas Götschi ha escrit: > > > Mitch, Yaw > > > > could you ellaborate a bit please. I can see the "change language" > button - which makes me very hopful - but nothing happens when I > push it. My device is set the German. > > > > I'd be happy to provide the german translations for the > "community-supported web-based language-translation workflow", if > that's the issue. But not sure where I can this... > > > > Thanks > > Thomas > > > > Am Freitag, 13. Juli 2012 18:55:00 UTC+2 schrieb Mitch: > ODK > Collect 1.2 has much more complete language support than 1.1.7, > in large part because Yaw found and set up a great > community-supported web-based language-translation workflow. > Thank you Yaw! > > > > If you use ODK Collect 1.2, if your phone is configured for > French language, it should use our 'fr' strings and labels, > which look to be 100% complete. > > > > Once you have the app displaying french prompts, the form will > open up in whatever language the prompts were defined in. If > that is an inappropriate language, you can change the language > using the menu button while within the form. After that, ODK > Collect will use that language setting as the default language > for that form for all future uses of the form. > > > > Mitch > > > > > On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 6:01 AM, Nabil mansouri wrote: > > > Does anyone know how to run ODK collect in French? I would > like the prompts and buttons all to appear in french > > -- > > Post: opend...@googlegroups.com > > Unsubscribe: opendatakit...@googlegroups.com > > Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en > > > > > > > > > > -- > > Mitch Sundt > > Software Engineer > > University of Washington > > mitche...@gmail.com > > > -- > > Post: opend...@googlegroups.com > > Unsubscribe: opendatakit...@googlegroups.com > > Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en

Rachel,

The specify other translation comes from the pyxform library, not from
ODK Collect. File a bug at https://github.com/SEL-Columbia/pyxform.
Fastest workaround is to edit it in the XML or manually add the other
prompt in the XLS.

Yaw

··· -- Need ODK services? http://nafundi.com provides form design, server setup, professional support, and software development for ODK.

On Thu, Jun 19, 2014 at 1:32 PM, racpow@gmail.com wrote:

My question has to do with changing the language on the default text for things like "Other" and "Specify Other" within a survey. I've successfully switched the ODK Collect default language to Portuguese and the instructions on the ODK Collect homepage look great (Swipe Left/Right, etc. are translated). However, when I'm taking the survey and come across a question where I have specified "Other" as a choice (in XLS Form > select_one [option list] or_other) the text is still in English. ("Other" and then "Specify Other" instead of the PT translation.)

I'm guessing that this set text is specified in the XML file, but I don't know how to edit that to the Portuguese translation. Is there an easy way to switch the language on those "Other" and "Specify Other" labels?

Thanks so much.
Rachel

On Tuesday, August 28, 2012 2:55:45 AM UTC-7, Francesc wrote:

The "change language" button in the ODK
Collect settings only changes the form language (if you prepared
a multilingual form). The language of ODK Collect itself depends
on the language selected in the android settings. So, if you have
the device in German, then ODK will show you the options in German
(if is prepared for) otherwise I suppose the default language is
English.

I've seen that the strings.xml file under "de" language is not
  translated. I'm sure that the ODK team will contact you to do it
  if you want, as they do with me and the catalan (ca) version,
  witch is available in current collect version.

Regards

Al 28/08/2012 11:00, En/na Thomas Götschi ha escrit:

Mitch, Yaw

could you ellaborate a bit please. I can see the "change language"
  button - which makes me very hopful - but nothing happens when I
  push it. My device is set the German.

I'd be happy to provide the german translations for the
  "community-supported web-based language-translation workflow", if
  that's the issue. But not sure where I can this...

Thanks

Thomas

Am Freitag, 13. Juli 2012 18:55:00 UTC+2 schrieb Mitch:
  ODK
    Collect 1.2 has much more complete language support than 1.1.7,
    in large part because Yaw found and set up a great
    community-supported web-based language-translation workflow.
    Thank you Yaw!

If you use ODK Collect 1.2, if your phone is configured for
    French language, it should use our 'fr' strings and labels,
    which look to be 100% complete.

Once you have the app displaying french prompts, the form will
    open up in whatever language the prompts were defined in. If
    that is an inappropriate language, you can change the language
    using the menu button while within the form. After that, ODK
    Collect will use that language setting as the default language
    for that form for all future uses of the form.

Mitch

On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 6:01 AM, Nabil mansouri nabil.m...@gmail.com wrote:

Does anyone know how to run ODK collect in French? I would
        like the prompts and buttons all to appear in french

--

Unsubscribe: opendatakit...@googlegroups.com

--

Mitch Sundt

Software Engineer

University of Washington

mitche...@gmail.com

--

Unsubscribe: opendatakit...@googlegroups.com

--

Unsubscribe: opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "ODK Community" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Hmm. I'm wondering if that bug was ever reported as I'm encountering the same issues. Is anybody aware of any work made on this?

Thanks,
Sean

··· On Thursday, June 19, 2014 6:20:21 PM UTC-4, Yaw Anokwa wrote: > Rachel, > > The specify other translation comes from the pyxform library, not from > ODK Collect. File a bug at https://github.com/SEL-Columbia/pyxform. > Fastest workaround is to edit it in the XML or manually add the other > prompt in the XLS. > > Yaw > -- > Need ODK services? http://nafundi.com provides form design, server > setup, professional support, and software development for ODK. > > On Thu, Jun 19, 2014 at 1:32 PM, wrote: > > My question has to do with changing the language on the default text for things like "Other" and "Specify Other" within a survey. I've successfully switched the ODK Collect default language to Portuguese and the instructions on the ODK Collect homepage look great (Swipe Left/Right, etc. are translated). However, when I'm taking the survey and come across a question where I have specified "Other" as a choice (in XLS Form > select_one [option list] or_other) the text is still in English. ("Other" and then "Specify Other" instead of the PT translation.) > > > > I'm guessing that this set text is specified in the XML file, but I don't know how to edit that to the Portuguese translation. Is there an easy way to switch the language on those "Other" and "Specify Other" labels? > > > > Thanks so much. > > Rachel > > > > On Tuesday, August 28, 2012 2:55:45 AM UTC-7, Francesc wrote: > >> The "change language" button in the ODK > >> Collect settings only changes the form language (if you prepared > >> a multilingual form). The language of ODK Collect itself depends > >> on the language selected in the android settings. So, if you have > >> the device in German, then ODK will show you the options in German > >> (if is prepared for) otherwise I suppose the default language is > >> English. > >> > >> > >> > >> I've seen that the strings.xml file under "de" language is not > >> translated. I'm sure that the ODK team will contact you to do it > >> if you want, as they do with me and the catalan (ca) version, > >> witch is available in current collect version. > >> > >> > >> > >> Regards > >> > >> > >> > >> > >> > >> > >> > >> Al 28/08/2012 11:00, En/na Thomas Götschi ha escrit: > >> > >> > >> Mitch, Yaw > >> > >> > >> > >> could you ellaborate a bit please. I can see the "change language" > >> button - which makes me very hopful - but nothing happens when I > >> push it. My device is set the German. > >> > >> > >> > >> I'd be happy to provide the german translations for the > >> "community-supported web-based language-translation workflow", if > >> that's the issue. But not sure where I can this... > >> > >> > >> > >> Thanks > >> > >> Thomas > >> > >> > >> > >> Am Freitag, 13. Juli 2012 18:55:00 UTC+2 schrieb Mitch: > >> ODK > >> Collect 1.2 has much more complete language support than 1.1.7, > >> in large part because Yaw found and set up a great > >> community-supported web-based language-translation workflow. > >> Thank you Yaw! > >> > >> > >> > >> If you use ODK Collect 1.2, if your phone is configured for > >> French language, it should use our 'fr' strings and labels, > >> which look to be 100% complete. > >> > >> > >> > >> Once you have the app displaying french prompts, the form will > >> open up in whatever language the prompts were defined in. If > >> that is an inappropriate language, you can change the language > >> using the menu button while within the form. After that, ODK > >> Collect will use that language setting as the default language > >> for that form for all future uses of the form. > >> > >> > >> > >> Mitch > >> > >> > >> > >> > >> On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 6:01 AM, Nabil mansouri wrote: > >> > >> > >> Does anyone know how to run ODK collect in French? I would > >> like the prompts and buttons all to appear in french > >> > >> -- > >> > >> Post: opend...@googlegroups.com > >> > >> Unsubscribe: opendatakit...@googlegroups.com > >> > >> Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en > >> > >> > >> > >> > >> > >> > >> > >> > >> > >> -- > >> > >> Mitch Sundt > >> > >> Software Engineer > >> > >> University of Washington > >> > >> mitche...@gmail.com > >> > >> > >> -- > >> > >> Post: opend...@googlegroups.com > >> > >> Unsubscribe: opendatakit...@googlegroups.com > >> > >> Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en > > > > -- > > -- > > Post: opendatakit@googlegroups.com > > Unsubscribe: opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com > > Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en > > > > --- > > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "ODK Community" group. > > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com. > > For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

I'm just starting to take a crack at it @Sean_Mo !

1 Like