1. What is the general goal of the feature?
There are two goals here that might be better split to separate features, but I'll combine them for now;
Allow enumerators to provide neater/more useful annotations beyond freehand drawing that can be difficult on small screens or by finger input to make legible.
Currently freehand input makes text annotations quite messy, and shape/arrow drawing is irregular.
Use smaller/lower spec hardware without compromising annotated image quality
Currently the returned annotated image is resized to just under the panel resolution (some real estate used by nav buttons and image aspect != screen aspect), which is always less than sensor resolution and for some hardware, far less.
eg a Galaxy Tab A 8" has a 1280x800 (1MP) panel, so the maximum dimension for any annotated image can't exceed this, but the captured images that aren't annotated can be 3264×2448 (8MP).
2. What are some example use cases for this feature?
- Being able to provide neat & clear annotation without multiple attempts freehand drawing on the screen via the placement of a small selection of elements coloured as the existing freehand pen selection
- arrow / line
- text input
eg whatsapp annotations allow freehand plus rotatable/scalable shapes as
arrow circle box speech bubble and text (and emoji / stickers, crop-rotate). This is the web annotation toolbar that doesn't have shapes but adds blur:
- Being able to use a cheaper/smaller device that is more affordable / compact but still submit higher quality images that maximise the quality of the device camera.
3. What can you contribute to making this feature a reality?