Insert Line in labels

Hi all

I have a trigger question in my xform and I would like to add lines between messages.

Is there a way to add blank lines in the label?

Thanks in advance

William

Not sure how to get the new line through Build. If you are using XlsForms,
in Excel, you can hold down the Alt key when you press return to insert
that into the text you're typing into a cell. In any case, the labels in
the form definition XML file do allow new lines in them, and any new lines
shown are reflected in the labels; however, leading and trailing spaces and
new lines may be removed prior to display.

E.g., from an itext label definition:

My name is . I am your interviewer
with the Population Health Metrics Research Consortium project.

I have been informed that a death has occurred in your household. I am very
sorry to hear that a member of your household has passed away. Please
accept my sympathies.

Mitch

··· On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 7:19 AM, William Aviles Monterrey <wravmon@yahoo.com wrote:

Hi all

I have a trigger question in my xform and I would like to add lines
between messages.

Thanks in advance

William

--
Unsubscribe: opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en

--
Mitch Sundt
Software Engineer
University of Washington
mitchellsundt@gmail.com

Thanks Mitch,

This is what I was looking for

Best

William

··· From: Mitch S Sent: Monday, March 12, 2012 12:03 PM To: opendatakit@googlegroups.com Subject: Re: [ODK Community] Insert Line in labels

Not sure how to get the new line through Build. If you are using XlsForms, in Excel, you can hold down the Alt key when you press return to insert that into the text you're typing into a cell. In any case, the labels in the form definition XML file do allow new lines in them, and any new lines shown are reflected in the labels; however, leading and trailing spaces and new lines may be removed prior to display.

My name is . I am your interviewer with the Population Health Metrics Research Consortium project.

I have been informed that a death has occurred in your household. I am very sorry to hear that a member of your household has passed away. Please accept my sympathies.

Mitch

On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 7:19 AM, William Aviles Monterrey wravmon@yahoo.com wrote:

Hi all

I have a trigger question in my xform and I would like to add lines between messages.

Thanks in advance

William

--

--
Mitch Sundt
Software Engineer
University of Washington
mitchellsundt@gmail.com

--

I was previously able to insert blank lines in my labels by using the Alt+Enter in Excel but that formatting is no longer appearing in the form when I open it in Collect. I've been using XLSForms to build all of my forms and it did work previously.

When I look at the xml file generated by XLSForms, there are no blank lines where I had put them in the Excel file.

Has there been a change in XLSForms or is there a new way to do this in the spreadsheet that is recognized by XLSForms? Of course, I could manually edit the xml files but was hoping to avoid that for these forms.

Thanks,

Andre

··· From: opendatakit@googlegroups.com [mailto:opendatakit@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of William Aviles Monterrey Sent: Monday, March 12, 2012 10:00 PM To: opendatakit@googlegroups.com Subject: Re: [ODK Community] Insert Line in labels

Thanks Mitch,

This is what I was looking for

Best

William

Sent: Monday, March 12, 2012 12:03 PM
To: opendatakit@googlegroups.commailto:opendatakit@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: [ODK Community] Insert Line in labels

Not sure how to get the new line through Build. If you are using XlsForms, in Excel, you can hold down the Alt key when you press return to insert that into the text you're typing into a cell. In any case, the labels in the form definition XML file do allow new lines in them, and any new lines shown are reflected in the labels; however, leading and trailing spaces and new lines may be removed prior to display.

My name is . I am your interviewer with the Population Health Metrics Research Consortium project.

I have been informed that a death has occurred in your household. I am very sorry to hear that a member of your household has passed away. Please accept my sympathies.

Mitch
On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 7:19 AM, William Aviles Monterrey <wravmon@yahoo.commailto:wravmon@yahoo.com> wrote:
Hi all

Thanks in advance

William

Post: opendatakit@googlegroups.commailto:opendatakit@googlegroups.com
Unsubscribe: opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.commailto:opendatakit%2Bunsubscribe@googlegroups.com

--
Mitch Sundt
Software Engineer
University of Washington
mitchellsundt@gmail.commailto:mitchellsundt@gmail.com

Unsubscribe: opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.commailto:opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com

Unsubscribe: opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.commailto:opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com

I'm working on this and I'll try to have XLSForms updated sometime tomorrow.
Regards,
-Nathan

I added a new "clean_text_values" setting which you can set to false to
stop double-spaces and line breaks from being removed. Trailing and leading
linebreaks are still removed due to an issue with the xml generator that I
haven't tracked down. If you turn text value cleaning off you might run
into some errors if there are extra spaces/linebreaks in any of your cells.
Regards,
-Nathan

··· On Monday, April 30, 2012 7:05:12 PM UTC-7, Nathan wrote: > > I'm working on this and I'll try to have XLSForms updated sometime > tomorrow. > Regards, > -Nathan >