Inspirational web sites from other projects?

Hi @website-wg and happy new year!

I'd love to hear back from each and every one of you -- and even folks who aren't active in this group! -- about what open source project web sites you find useful, inspiring, or generally otherwise a great example.

Please reply to this topic with:

• a link to one or more of these sites you'd like to share, and
  • any reasons you think the site(s) to be a great example for us!

Looking forward to get some ideas from you all!

5 Likes

I really like the site QGIS put together. The things I really like about it:

• It is clear the software is built by a community
  • It is very clear where to download it
  • At the bottom of the page there is a clear path to fix errors with the site.
  • The design is nice
3 Likes

I like that the landing screen clearly and boldly articulates what Guile is. I also really like the contribution page and the quick showcase of who uses it near the bottom of the landing page. I think the project has effectively focused the website on the most important information and demonstrates that a clean, modern look doesn’t need super fancy design tricks.

Again, I like the one-phrase description of what the project is. Here the landing page has a little more information and the top-level links are similar to Guile’s.

I don’t love the design but I think the content is a very useful model, especially the "about" and "get involved" sections.

Properties these share:

• Short, clear description of the project
  • Single, well-considered top-level menu
  • Clarity on how to get involved and how to edit the site itself
  • White space, professional look (less true of the Nodejs one)

The QGIS site @wonderchook shared above also has many of these properties. Another nice thing about that one is that it is translated by the community in Transifex. It would be good to look at their tooling for that.

2 Likes

I really like the Guile site. There is something about saying up front what the project is clear, but then you can just scroll below the fold to see some code. I think that can appeal to different types of audiences.

2 Likes

The Hugo site is one of my favorites. It concisely says what the software does and helps you get started. I think the website also has the things we should be pushing (News, Community, Github) and has a nice clean design.

I think for ODK's site, we want to also help people understand all the various things you can do with the software and who is using it. I really like how the Ona focuses on the solutions that their platform helps with.

2 Likes

The Django site is one of my favorites. It's homepage clearly explains what the software does without overloading it with details.
It has links for

1. Getting started with django.
  2. Downloading the latest version.
  3. Contributing to django.
  4. Supporting django by donations.
  5. The latest news.
  6. The installation guide if you're new.
  7. The advanced features of django and it's ORM.

and much more. I like the way so much information is being displayed on the home page within smaller sections. There is something for everyone.

2 Likes

Hugo and Django are two websites which are my fav. However, https://www.w3schools.com/ and https://www.python.org/ are also my favorite.
W3School because of its simplicity and python because it will summarize all information on a single page like news, upcoming event, software update.
One more important feature which impresses me any website is "search box", in my mind it's very necessary box. W3school and python both have a search box so whenever a user wants to search any post related to a keyword he can search easily but in case of https://www.djangoproject.com/ and https://nodejs.org/en/, we need to do some struggle for our finding.

I am 100% agree with @srv-twry and I want to say all things which have been already said by @LN and @srv-twry.

Narendra

1 Like

I find myself on the Git homepage fairly often: https://git-scm.com/

Usually if I'm there its because I've forgotten how to do something or need help with a weird problem. I like that it is very clearly organized, and that until you get to the documentation or content page you're looking for you generally don't have long pages you have to scroll through to find things. The documentation is also very thorough and presented in multiple forms. It'd be nice if someone wanted to write a "Pro ODK" book for us :slight_smile:

Its also friendly to new users, making clear right away why you would want to use Git and how to get started. Or if you decide to get involved and start contributing that is very clear too. And its always nice that they link to the website's source repository from the home page.

3 Likes

Thanks everyone for your great examples so far ... please keep them coming!

I think there are some good examples of elements that we would probably want to try to adopt for ODK -- if not immediately, at least down the road.

1 Like