Internship project: ODK Briefcase - New export types

I'm loving this discussion!

I think the intended users are folks who work in Excel and other statistical packages are the primary users and so I defer to @Matthew_White's judgment since he has more experience with those users. And it also seems like other servers use this approach so it can't be too bad :smile:

@mayank8318 Excel has 16,384 max columns. For a first pass, we can just not allow more than that in the flattened CSV and see what feedback users have. It seems unlikely that someone would complain.

1 Like

@yanokwa Seems fair then. I will make changes in the proposal accordingly. Tackling real life problems is so much fun :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@Matthew_White @yanokwa Is this right?
There is a form with fields Farmer(name, age), Child[Repeat](name, age , favourite colour), Plots[Repeat](size, crop type).
Two farmers FamX(3 children, 2 plots) and FamY(2 children, 2 plots) fill the form. Their flattened CSV will look like this -

2 Likes

Hi @ggalmazor!
Is this project still up for GSoC 2019?
Thanks!

Welcome to the ODK forum, @bhavyejain! We're glad you're here. When you get a chance, please introduce yourself here. I'd also encourage you to add a real picture as your avatar because it helps build community!

Unfortunately, I won't be participating on GSoC this year. Unless some other mentor shows up, there won't be any Briefcase project this time.

@ggalmazor I'll make sure to update my profile today itself and introduce myself!

Well this was a sad news. the project would have been a great learning experience for me!
If a new mentor shows up, where can we get updated?

1 Like

@ggalmazor the ideas page of ODK still shows GSoC - 2018. Will it be changed for GSoC 2019 or the same continues? Just in case new projects/ideas come ahead.

I think we're working on a different document for the 2019 edition. I'll see if I can add a link here as well

1 Like

@bhavyejain See GSoC and Outreachy 2019: What is the plan?