Introduce yourself here!

Hello ODK community, my name is Joseph Kabooto aka Kabzjoe, from Uganda. I graduated with an honors bachelors degree of Science in Computer Science at Uganda Christian University early last year(June 2017).

I learned about Open Data Kit through a Data Analyst that I attend the same church with. It was after one Sunday service late last month(28th January 2018) when he told me that with my skill in programing, ODK would be such a sweetheart :sunglasses:

He took me through vaguely on how i could turn a raw survey sheet into an excel file, taught me a couple commands and rules, how to change the .xlsx file to an xml file and run it with the ODK android app.

I have turned a couple of raw sheets into xml since, i am 2 days old into ODK.

In my country, so many people still use raw survey sheets which is cumbersome, untimely, costly and produces low quality data.

I look to grow and work on as many projects as the universe can offer soon as i get to the gits of data analysis, which should be soon.

I'm honored to be here.

11 Likes

Hai there...
I'm Anastes . A biriyanist from India.
I'm using ODK over years for data collection on Agricultural and governance field.
I'm excited with this forum template. Looking great. Reply me with the name framework used to develop this forum if somebody know.

7 Likes

Welcome Steve. I think we can connect and organize odk groups in Kenya.

2 Likes

Bueno días, comunidad. un saludo desde colombia. llevo usando ODK hace algunos meses y me ha parecido genial, =)

3 Likes

Greetings, ODK community, from the Puget Sound Region, Washington, USA. I have only recently learned about ODK and would like to try using it in the context of ecological field data collection. I recently finished my MS in environmental and forest sciences, with a focus on native grassland restoration. It would have been nice to have a reliable offline electronic method out on the grassland, where I had no phone signal but needed to collect quantitative and qualitative data on plant traits and plant community composition. Alas, I did not yet know of ODK. I'm hoping to try it on my next project and see how my colleagues and I might apply it in a grassland ecology setting.

My coding skills are currently limited, so it will be a while before I am ready to contribute to that part of the ODK community work. My experiences thus far are with R and ecological data analysis, though many, many years ago I learned a bit of C and, weirdly enough, IDL and Fortran. (I had a university job where our student team worked with some outdated equipment.) For now, I'll see if I can help make simple line edits to documentation. I will also start reading posts on this forum to learn the history and current work of the ODK community.

Outside of data collection, I enjoy reading literature and philosophy. I'm currently taking a free online class on James Joyce's Ulysses, which is no joke.

Thank you all for this inclusive opportunity to participate!

8 Likes

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Ethiopian calendar

Hi, I'm Abdul I have experience in developing Android apps and I would like to contribute to the community. I would also like to develop ODK Collect - Device to Device Transfer app for GSoC 2018.

4 Likes

I am Rakshith Potluri , a budding engineering student pursuing my masters in computer science . I'd like to work on the Device-to-Device Transfer App for ODK Collect.
I have been developing applications in android for a year and is something that really excites me.
Glad to be part of such a vibrant and growing community :smile: !

6 Likes

Hi, I am Shreya,an undergrad in computer science. I am planning to take up ODK collect as my Outreachy project and looking forward to contribute to it!!

6 Likes

Hi, my name is Moksh Mahajan and I am pursing B.Tech, Computer Science and Engineering from SMVDU, Katra. I am currently in 2nd year and I am learning Android. Any guidance and tips will be aprreciated

6 Likes

Hi everyone, Vrushabh Here.
I am an Android developer from Nagpur, Maharashtra, India. I have 3 years of experience in developing and working with Android and Web Technologies. I was introduced to ODK as a part of GSoC 2018. I have helped to do a quick_fix in one the issues in the ODK-collect android app (Issue #1857).
You can follow me on LinkedIn or Github
I am currently pursuing B. Tech in Computer Science and Engineering at National Institute of Technology Calicut, India. I interested in Data mining, Computer Vision for research.

Looking forward to contribute more to ODK. :smile:

6 Likes

Hi all,
I'm Daejun, from South Korea, but studying social work in the US.
I would like to get involved in the community for I planned to work with a project using ODK.
I was not that easy for me to figure out the whole operation of ODK, but hope you guys help me get somewhere. I have interests in data mining using R. Hope to discuss lots of ideas with all the ODK users

5 Likes

Hello,

I'm Katherine, currently located in North Carolina, US. I am interested in the Outreachy internship project focused on the export automation system for ODK. I am working towards a career shift after a gap of time as a caretaker. I was a microbiologist previously and am completing a post-baccalaureate certificate program in Computer Science at North Carolina State University. I expect to finish my program in May 2018. Although I've been dedicated to using open source OS, software, and other tools, this is my first attempt at contributing to a project and this one is of particular interest, given how relevant it is to so many areas of research and the ability to move the world forward.

Looking forward to connecting with the community and learning from the people here!

Best, Katherine

7 Likes

Hello! I am Thodoris from Greece, a freshman ECE student. I've been messing around with software throughout high school and I find GSoC to be a great opportunity to evolve my skills to a professional level. I don't have much experience yet, but here's my github page and my almost working linear algebra beta app.

Can't wait to start working with others and expanding my knowledge on coding through such cool projects :smiley:

6 Likes

Hey, I am Sinchan Ku Mishra from India. I am currently pursuing Bachelors in Technology in Computer Science and Engineering from CET Bhubaneswar. I have been working on web development from a couple of years and on Android Development from quite a time. I have made an app for automated fest registration system.
I would like to work on ODK collect app because it will help me broaden my knowledge base in Android. This will be my first attempt in contributing to open source.
Hence, I am really excited.

5 Likes

Hiii, I am Nirmal Kumar Joshi from India. I have been working as a developer intern in an organization since last one year. I have been working on Ionic Framework, Google Firebase(Firebase Database, Firebase Push Notifications, etc.), Angular Framework, Google Cloud Firebase, Typescript, and front-end. I wish to be a part of this community as a student member of GSoC 18 program. I want to be a responsible part of this community. I want to contribute to the project "ODK 2 Services - Push notifications", as I have past experience in this technology and developed various real-time projects with the team. I have various sample projects using the Firebase Authentication, Push notification which I run on my smartphone. My LinkedIn profile is: https://www.linkedin.com/in/nirmal-kumar-joshi-052120138/. I love to code, code, and code. Presently I am the member of the Google India Scholarship Programme 2018. I have interest in writing blogs, mini-tales and manage my own Instagram page: https://www.instagram.com/nirmalwrites/?hl=en. My interesting fact is that I am from Electronics and Communication branch but still it doesn't matter in my case because I follow my passion with enthusiasm and motivation.
Code. Cheers.

5 Likes

Hi all,
I am Apoorvaa Gupta, junior student in Computer Engineering.
I am an Outreachy'18 aspirant and wish to apply to the Collect App under Open Data Kit.
Hoping to contribute a lot!

5 Likes

Hi I'm Eyisab Manor. I'm a resident of Cameroon with a nursing background but took interest in coding from numerous tech meetups in my community. I've learned how to code in Java and JavaScript and I'm interested in the outreachy internship with open data kit. Looking forward to make great contributions to the community and upgrade my skills.

6 Likes

Hello All. I am Deepanshu Srivastava, working as Research Officer, based in Jaipur(Rajasthan),India. I am a social researcher and use ODK in most of my baseline studies and evaluations. I focus on applying ODK to different contexts and always looking at how to code surveys to try different aspects.

5 Likes

Hello,

I am Aakash Shrestha. I am from Nepal :nepal:.

I have been using ODK since 2016 for various data collection and research purposes, mostly related to municipal solid waste management.

We are now using ODK to build a municipal profile of various municipalities such that the data collection can be easily coordinated, paperless and reliable.

A huge thanks to the team of ODK!

6 Likes