Is it possible to autocomplete from a large list?

I am developing a form for collecting plants in the field, and I was
wondering whether there is a way of including a list of known species (this
could be up to 10,000 or so names) so that we could have something like an
auto-complete (it suggests names as we start typing). I know cascading
selects are possible, but it would be completely impractical for this
purpose.

I suspect this wouldn't be possible directly within ODK collect, but I was
wondering if there might be something I could install on my device which
would allow ODK collect to do this.

Thanks for your help

If I am not mistaken you can include the list in your excel during creating
and once the form is created that function should be applicable.

··· Sent from my iPhone

On Nov 21, 2012, at 8:39 AM, Robyn Drinkwater hippydreamer@gmail.com wrote:

purpose.

Thanks for your help

--
Unsubscribe: opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en

Thanks for your help. I'll have a look at the examples and see what I can do

··· On Wednesday, 21 November 2012 12:39:38 UTC, Robyn Drinkwater wrote: > > I am developing a form for collecting plants in the field, and I was > wondering whether there is a way of including a list of known species (this > could be up to 10,000 or so names) so that we could have something like an > auto-complete (it suggests names as we start typing). I know cascading > selects are possible, but it would be completely impractical for this > purpose. > > I suspect this wouldn't be possible directly within ODK collect, but I was > wondering if there might be something I could install on my device which > would allow ODK collect to do this. > > Thanks for your help >

Dear Robyn,
Our company app, rtSurvey, which is based on ODK Collect source code plus some features of our own can do what you want. You can reach me via Skype live:dhbangtroi if you want to know more.
Thien Dao

Dear Robyn,

did you find a satisfying solution for your problem with plant lists?
As we are also trying to make an app to collect vegetation relevées (plant
list with coverage) but untill now, no free or open source app succeeded.
Best wishes, Els

··· On Wednesday, November 21, 2012 at 1:39:38 PM UTC+1, Robyn Drinkwater wrote: > > I am developing a form for collecting plants in the field, and I was > wondering whether there is a way of including a list of known species (this > could be up to 10,000 or so names) so that we could have something like an > auto-complete (it suggests names as we start typing). I know cascading > selects are possible, but it would be completely impractical for this > purpose. > > I suspect this wouldn't be possible directly within ODK collect, but I was > wondering if there might be something I could install on my device which > would allow ODK collect to do this. > > Thanks for your help >

We have the start of an autocomplete widget, but there were issues with it
and have not had time to address those issues. It has been a while since
this was developed, and I don't know what the exact issues were, but it is
in the current code tree if anyone wants to try to fix it:

http://code.google.com/p/opendatakit/source/browse/src/org/odk/collect/android/widgets/AutoCompleteWidget.java?repo=collect

That said, 10,000 species is likely going to be too much for vanilla ODK
Collect to handle. I would recommend a quick test first to verify that you
don't run into memory issues when simply loading a form of that size, and
that the time to read in the form is acceptable to you (it will likely take
a while...).

A callout to an external application is likely to be the best solution for
this, as you could have the external app query a database and do something
more intelligent than holding the entire list in memory. ODK Collect does
support calling an external intent (app) to return an integer, decimal, or
string value. See the BreathCounter app (
http://code.google.com/p/opendatakit/downloads/list ,
http://code.google.com/p/opendatakit/source/browse?repo=androidextras#hg%2FBreathCounter%253Fstate%253Dclosed)
and form (breathTest.xml in this source repository ) for an example of
an
app that returns an integer value, and a form that invokes that app.

In the examples page ( http://opendatakit.org/help/form-design/examples/ ),
see the "String from a 3rd party app" example.

If anyone were to contribute an app that could read a database and provide
such an autocomplete widget capability, we'd be happy to add it to the
AndroidExtras projects collection.

Mitch

··· On Wed, Nov 21, 2012 at 4:44 AM, Roxroy Bollers wrote:

If I am not mistaken you can include the list in your excel during
creating and once the form is created that function should be applicable.

Sent from my iPhone

On Nov 21, 2012, at 8:39 AM, Robyn Drinkwater hippydreamer@gmail.com wrote:

purpose.

Thanks for your help

--

--

--
Mitch Sundt
Software Engineer
University of Washington
mitchellsundt@gmail.com

One work around we use for auto-complete is to use a auto-complete keyboard
app which is preprogrammed with your species. We use SwiftKey 3 successful
for 400 or so species, with swiftkey you also get the next word predictions
which is excellent if you are working with genus and species, etc.

To add the word/phrases you need to Swiftkey is a little convoluted - just
need need to get the text you want in a text or several and then Get
swiftkey to learn from your SMS. not sure how well this will work on 10,000
names but worth a go

I hope that is some use to you.

GIS Unit, Kew
www.kew.org/gis
@kewgis on twitter.

··· On 22 November 2012 09:26, Robyn Drinkwater wrote:

Thanks for your help. I'll have a look at the examples and see what I can
do

On Wednesday, 21 November 2012 12:39:38 UTC, Robyn Drinkwater wrote:

purpose.

I suspect this wouldn't be possible directly within ODK collect, but I
was wondering if there might be something I could install on my device
which would allow ODK collect to do this.

Thanks for your help

--

For others with same problem >> as a workaround, I use Smart Keyboard (Pro).
HowTo: make the user dictionary (userdic.csv) in Excel (Windows) or
LibreOffice Calc (Linux) on your PC/Laptop (in my case over 1,000 species
names) >> copy the file via USB cable to the appropriate dir on my
smartphone (in my case "storage/sdcard0/smartkeyboardpro/" >> in Smart
Keyboard Pro settings, load the user dictionary >> it works!
Advice: better to turn off the chosen keyboard app's (swiftkey,
smartkeyboard, smartkeyboard pro, etc.) intelligent dictionary/learning new
words feature or else soon there will be too many other typing suggestions
in excess of your preloaded species list.

··· On Thursday, June 6, 2013 at 8:56:40 AM UTC+2, Rémy CLEMENT wrote: > > Hello Gistin, > > I am looking for autocomplete on a list of plants, like you seem to do. > Can you say me more details about the way you use to give swiftkey a list > of specises to autocomplete ? > > Thanks in advance, > Rémi > > Le mardi 27 novembre 2012 13:36:49 UTC+1, gistin a écrit : > > One work around we use for auto-complete is to use a auto-complete > keyboard app which is preprogrammed with your species. We use SwiftKey 3 > successful for 400 or so species, with swiftkey you also get the next word > predictions which is excellent if you are working with genus and species, > etc. > > > > > > > > To add the word/phrases you need to Swiftkey is a little convoluted - > just need need to get the text you want in a text or several and then Get > swiftkey to learn from your SMS. not sure how well this will work on 10,000 > names but worth a go > > > > > > > > I hope that is some use to you. > > > > > > GIS Unit, Kew > > www.kew.org/gis > > > > @kewgis on twitter. > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > On 22 November 2012 09:26, Robyn Drinkwater wrote: > > > > Thanks for your help. I'll have a look at the examples and see what I > can do > > > > > > > > On Wednesday, 21 November 2012 12:39:38 UTC, Robyn Drinkwater wrote: > > I am developing a form for collecting plants in the field, and I was > wondering whether there is a way of including a list of known species (this > could be up to 10,000 or so names) so that we could have something like an > auto-complete (it suggests names as we start typing). I know cascading > selects are possible, but it would be completely impractical for this > purpose. > > > > > > I suspect this wouldn't be possible directly within ODK collect, but I > was wondering if there might be something I could install on my device > which would allow ODK collect to do this. > > > > Thanks for your help > > > > > > > > > > > > > > -- > > > > Post: opend...@googlegroups.com > > > > Unsubscribe: opendatakit...@googlegroups.com > > > > Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en > >

I just saw this so just in case it is usefull for anybody. In my case I need 3000 records, and what I did is subdiving them by states, then by town, etc. Then when creating the form I do select_one_external and in the "external choices" sheet I put all this information.
select_one country (small list)
then for large lists:
"select_one_external states" with choice filter "country=${country}"
"select_one_external towns" with choice filter "country=${country} and state=${state}"

check cascading selects in http://xlsform.org/

I Hope it helps.

··· El lunes, 6 de abril de 2015, 20:53:03 (UTC+2), András Szabadfalvi escribió: > For others with same problem >> as a workaround, I use Smart Keyboard (Pro). > HowTo: make the user dictionary (userdic.csv) in Excel (Windows) or LibreOffice Calc (Linux) on your PC/Laptop (in my case over 1,000 species names) >> copy the file via USB cable to the appropriate dir on my smartphone (in my case "storage/sdcard0/smartkeyboardpro/" >> in Smart Keyboard Pro settings, load the user dictionary >> it works! > Advice: better to turn off the chosen keyboard app's (swiftkey, smartkeyboard, smartkeyboard pro, etc.) intelligent dictionary/learning new words feature or else soon there will be too many other typing suggestions in excess of your preloaded species list. > > On Thursday, June 6, 2013 at 8:56:40 AM UTC+2, Rémy CLEMENT wrote:Hello Gistin, > > > > I am looking for autocomplete on a list of plants, like you seem to do. > > Can you say me more details about the way you use to give swiftkey a list of specises to autocomplete ? > > > > Thanks in advance, > > Rémi > > > > Le mardi 27 novembre 2012 13:36:49 UTC+1, gistin a écrit : > > > One work around we use for auto-complete is to use a auto-complete keyboard app which is preprogrammed with your species. We use SwiftKey 3 successful for 400 or so species, with swiftkey you also get the next word predictions which is excellent if you are working with genus and species, etc. > > > > > > > > > > > > To add the word/phrases you need to Swiftkey is a little convoluted - just need need to get the text you want in a text or several and then Get swiftkey to learn from your SMS. not sure how well this will work on 10,000 names but worth a go > > > > > > > > > > > > I hope that is some use to you. > > > > > > > > > GIS Unit, Kew > > > www.kew.org/gis > > > > > > @kewgis on twitter. > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > On 22 November 2012 09:26, Robyn Drinkwater wrote: > > > > > > Thanks for your help. I'll have a look at the examples and see what I can do > > > > > > > > > > > > On Wednesday, 21 November 2012 12:39:38 UTC, Robyn Drinkwater wrote: > > > I am developing a form for collecting plants in the field, and I was wondering whether there is a way of including a list of known species (this could be up to 10,000 or so names) so that we could have something like an auto-complete (it suggests names as we start typing). I know cascading selects are possible, but it would be completely impractical for this purpose. > > > > > > > > > I suspect this wouldn't be possible directly within ODK collect, but I was wondering if there might be something I could install on my device which would allow ODK collect to do this. > > > > > > Thanks for your help > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > -- > > > > > > Post: opend...@googlegroups.com > > > > > > Unsubscribe: opendatakit...@googlegroups.com > > > > > > Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en
1 Like