Issues with Some Required Fields When Saving the ODK Form

1. What is the problem? Be very detailed.
I am able to navigate an ODK form to the end then be alerted of a required field that I would need to supply an input for when saving the form. Interestingly, the system raises this alarm in a question that the navigation pathway I chose should be skipping (using a relevant column that references a preceding prepopulated variable). What could be causing this?

2. What app or server are you using and on what device and operating system? Include version numbers.
My device has ODK Collect v1.30.1 whereas the form is hosted on ODK aggregate v2.5 server

3. What you have you tried to fix the problem?
I have pull new a new form and attempted to feed some test data but this seems not to go away

Hi @Francis_Opiyo

Are you in position to share your form or a sub section that is failing?

I have experienced that such error only comes if you hit BACK button to get back to a question several screens away. Another condition when it comes is when you try to EDIT a completed form.

But as Ronald said, please do share the form. May possibly be a logic/programming error too.

1 Like

@Saad actually it is a field worker who raised this with me and I could not reproduce the error. He later clarified this only happens when he edits a saved forms. What could cause this when editing a saved form.Interestingly, I am able to edit a form successfully on my end without any itches just like other field workers using the same form version.

Yes, he is editing the form after completing one full session. The logical conditions in EDIT mode do not work like how they work in form filling process in a flow. That's why I mostly keep the EDIT FORM section as disabled.

Hope your issue is resolved.

1 Like

I am yet to resolve this. I'm somewhat new to the ODK platform but one challenge was that with the version number mentioned, we could not quite figure out an easy way to do section-based navigation. Perhaps an idea of this would be useful.

The issue you mentioned is a one time issue, and the solution is that you should either disable edits, or ask field workers to fill the forms in one go, and not edit it.

What is the form version issue?

Does ODK Collect v1.30.1 have a good way to navigate a form based on sections. Essentially, I have questions profiled into groups. I am often forced to navigate on a question by question basis.

Form sections are programmed in form design. ODK collect has nothing to do with sections, other than traversing through them as programmed. You can use jump logic or conditional logic in the design to make the client move neatly within the form.

@Francis_Opiyo

Does that form contain repeats?

@Saad

Could you tell us more about how to reproduce that issue? I'm interested in tracking it down and fixing.

No the form does not have repeats. The field worker cited that the challenge arose when he attempted to edit a form he had completed an interview for. It has not occurred again on his gadget, with subsequent edits. Would the pulldata() function have any challenge with a form opened for edit and left inactive for long?