Keep a modified version AND the official version of ODK Collect as different apps?

Hi,

This is a pretty general question, I hope you don't mind...

I've done some minor changes to ODK Collect so as to adapt it to the
very specific needs of my use scenario, but now I would like to install
both my hacked version and the original version as if they were two
completely unrelated apps.

How would you recommend me to change the source code of my hacked
version so that it is recognized as a different app?
Should I rename the packages org.odk.* to something else like
com.matteosistisette.* that is:

• rename the "odk" folder
  • change the "package" statements accordingly
  • change the "import" statements accordingly

would that be enough?

Or is there an even faster way? (i don't mind if dirtier as long as it
doesn't have too dangerous side effects)

thanks
m.

P.S. I'm not trying to "hide" the fact that it is derived from ODK
Collect, I'm not trying to "disguise" it to make it seem like my own
app, I just have the practical need to have both versions installed and
working independently without interfering with each other.

what you've described should work, but only one way to find out.

fastest way to rename package is at
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4025369/how-to-change-package-name-of-an-android-application.

careful about changing the /odk directory to /whatever. there may be
code (in collect or elsewhere) that relies on that structure.

ยทยทยท On Fri, Dec 23, 2011 at 08:14, Matteo Sisti Sette wrote: > Hi, > > This is a pretty general question, I hope you don't mind... > > I've done some minor changes to ODK Collect so as to adapt it to the very > specific needs of my use scenario, but now I would like to install both my > hacked version _and_ the original version as if they were two completely > unrelated apps. > > How would you recommend me to change the source code of my hacked version so > that it is recognized as a different app? > Should I rename the packages org.odk.* to something else like > com.matteosistisette.* that is: > - rename the "odk" folder > - change the "package" statements accordingly > - change the "import" statements accordingly > > would that be enough? > > Or is there an even faster way? (i don't mind if dirtier as long as it > doesn't have too dangerous side effects) > > thanks > m. > > P.S. I'm not trying to "hide" the fact that it is derived from ODK Collect, > I'm not trying to "disguise" it to make it seem like my own app, I just have > the practical need to have both versions installed and working independently > without interfering with each other.