of the public / rangers / guides etc. can complete ODK forms on their
Android phones when they see African Wild Dogs in SA, Zimbabwe, Botswana
and Mozambique. We will use new identification software to match photos of
individual dogs taken (via form) with a central database so we can
understand ranges of dogs / packs. All dog spot patterns are unique. Recent
research suggests they don't stay in one reserve but travel massive
distances across farming land which is part of the reason they are so
endangered now (as farms intrude on routes etc). With better understanding
of migratory routes, protected corridors can be set up / eduction done etc.
If anyone wants to volunteer to get involved helping us with the technical
side of the project, let me know.

Questions (am a self-taught techie so apologies if sound dumb):

1. Are there any plans / is there a way to automatically export data from
    ODK Aggregate via a live feed into a Fusion Table? Part of the way we want
    to get the public engaged is to show a "live" map, but at the moment we
    have to export manually.
  2. Photos taken are hosted in the cloud and linked to. If we wanted to get
    these into an offline database for the identification software to work, is
    there a clever way to do this, other than manually downloading?
  3. I know the process of downloading the app / changing settings to right
    appspot server domain is really simple for those that are comfortable
    around these things. But is there any way of making this even simpler for
    members of the public who are tech savvy? Is the only alternative building
    your own app?

I guess this is more of a wishlist, but thought worth asking here in case
I'm missing something currently available.

Thanks,

Rob

Hey Rob,
That is quite a research. I wish you guys luck on that. In Guyana we are
looking using same technology but looking at Forest Degradation etc.

Rox.

··· On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 3:04 AM, Rob Maclean wrote:

Hello,

Background (if anyone is interested!):
Loving ODK (thanks to the community for developing!). Am hoping to kick
off a project with the Endangered Wildlife Trust in South Africa where
members of the public / rangers / guides etc. can complete ODK forms on
their Android phones when they see African Wild Dogs in SA, Zimbabwe,
Botswana and Mozambique. We will use new identification software to match
photos of individual dogs taken (via form) with a central database so we
can understand ranges of dogs / packs. All dog spot patterns are unique.
Recent research suggests they don't stay in one reserve but travel massive
endangered now (as farms intrude on routes etc). With better understanding
of migratory routes, protected corridors can be set up / eduction done etc.
If anyone wants to volunteer to get involved helping us with the technical

1. Are there any plans / is there a way to automatically export data
    from ODK Aggregate via a live feed into a Fusion Table? Part of the way we
    want to get the public engaged is to show a "live" map, but at the moment
    we have to export manually.
  2. Photos taken are hosted in the cloud and linked to. If we wanted to get
  3. I know the process of downloading the app / changing settings to right
    around these things. But is there any way of making this even simpler for
    members of the public who are tech savvy? Is the only alternative building
    your own app?

I guess this is more of a wishlist, but thought worth asking here in case

Thanks,

Rob

--
Unsubscribe: opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en

--
Play it forward and Have a good one!

"Like a camera I use the negative to develop..uDig"
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of
enthusiasm"
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->
OutSourceRox*
Roxroy K. Bollers
GIS and IT Consultant
tel. 592.685.2737
Follow Us On
Facebook http://www.facebook.com/OutSourceRox
Google+ https://plus.google.com/114064153117817313312
Web http://twitinternational.com/outsourcerox.htm

Portfolio:

Rob,

Answers under the questions restated.

1. Are there any plans / is there a way to automatically export data from
    ODK Aggregate via a live feed into a Fusion Table? Part of the way we want
    to get the public engaged is to show a "live" map, but at the moment we have
    to export manually.

Aggregate can stream all data it receives to FusionTables
automatically. This feature has been around since the early days so
it's not talked about as much.

Use the "Publish" button on Aggregate. More information can be found
by clicking the help buttons in the upper right hand corner of
Aggregate. Here is a short video explaining how to do it.

1. Photos taken are hosted in the cloud and linked to. If we wanted to get

ODK Briefcase will download all the submission and the corresponding
photos to your computer. Alternatively if you know how to write some
code you could write a script to take the URl from the CSV or JSON
files and have the script download the picture from the URL.

1. I know the process of downloading the app / changing settings to right
    appspot server domain is really simple for those that are comfortable around
    these things. But is there any way of making this even simpler for members
    of the public who are tech savvy? Is the only alternative building your own
    app?

You can embedded the submission server URL into the form so Collect
will automatically send all submissions to a predefined server.
However, you still have to get the form onto the phone. I don't
remember the syntax off the top of my head. I am sure someone else
probably has it handy.

Cheers,
Waylon

··· On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 12:34 PM, Rob Maclean wrote: > Hello, > > Background (if anyone is interested!): > Loving ODK (thanks to the community for developing!). Am hoping to kick off > a project with the Endangered Wildlife Trust in South Africa where members > of the public / rangers / guides etc. can complete ODK forms on their > Android phones when they see African Wild Dogs in SA, Zimbabwe, Botswana and > Mozambique. We will use new identification software to match photos of > individual dogs taken (via form) with a central database so we can > understand ranges of dogs / packs. All dog spot patterns are unique. Recent > research suggests they don't stay in one reserve but travel massive > distances across farming land which is part of the reason they are so > endangered now (as farms intrude on routes etc). With better understanding > of migratory routes, protected corridors can be set up / eduction done etc. > If anyone wants to volunteer to get involved helping us with the technical > side of the project, let me know. > > Questions (am a self-taught techie so apologies if sound dumb): > 1. Are there any plans / is there a way to automatically export data from > ODK Aggregate via a live feed into a Fusion Table? Part of the way we want > to get the public engaged is to show a "live" map, but at the moment we have > to export manually. > 2. Photos taken are hosted in the cloud and linked to. If we wanted to get > these into an offline database for the identification software to work, is > there a clever way to do this, other than manually downloading? > 3. I know the process of downloading the app / changing settings to right > appspot server domain is really simple for those that are comfortable around > these things. But is there any way of making this even simpler for members > of the public who are tech savvy? Is the only alternative building your own > app? > > I guess this is more of a wishlist, but thought worth asking here in case > I'm missing something currently available. > > Thanks, > > Rob > > > > > -- > Post: opendatakit@googlegroups.com > Unsubscribe: opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com > Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en

Hello,

Thanks everyone! Haven't had a chance to go work out how to implement the
suggestions, but will do this week...

Just wanted to thank all for help. This is definitely one of the more
tolerant (of newbies) developer groups!

Rob

··· On Wednesday, July 25, 2012 9:04:12 AM UTC+2, Rob Maclean wrote: > > Hello, > > Background (if anyone is interested!): > Loving ODK (thanks to the community for developing!). Am hoping to kick > off a project with the Endangered Wildlife Trust in South Africa where > members of the public / rangers / guides etc. can complete ODK forms on > their Android phones when they see African Wild Dogs in SA, Zimbabwe, > Botswana and Mozambique. We will use new identification software to match > photos of individual dogs taken (via form) with a central database so we > can understand ranges of dogs / packs. All dog spot patterns are unique. > Recent research suggests they don't stay in one reserve but travel massive > distances across farming land which is part of the reason they are so > endangered now (as farms intrude on routes etc). With better understanding > of migratory routes, protected corridors can be set up / eduction done etc. > If anyone wants to volunteer to get involved helping us with the technical > side of the project, let me know. > > Questions (am a self-taught techie so apologies if sound dumb): > 1. Are there any plans / is there a way to *automatically* export data > from ODK Aggregate via a live feed into a Fusion Table? Part of the way we > want to get the public engaged is to show a "live" map, but at the moment > we have to export manually. > 2. Photos taken are hosted in the cloud and linked to. If we wanted to get > these into an offline database for the identification software to work, is > there a clever way to do this, other than manually downloading? > 3. I know the process of downloading the app / changing settings to right > appspot server domain is really simple for those that are comfortable > around these things. But is there any way of making this even simpler for > members of the public who are tech savvy? Is the only alternative building > your own app? > > I guess this is more of a wishlist, but thought worth asking here in case > I'm missing something currently available. > > Thanks, > > Rob > > > > >

[Sorry Waylon (not Wayne)]

··· On Wednesday, July 25, 2012 9:04:12 AM UTC+2, Rob Maclean wrote: > > Hello, > > Background (if anyone is interested!): > Loving ODK (thanks to the community for developing!). Am hoping to kick > off a project with the Endangered Wildlife Trust in South Africa where > members of the public / rangers / guides etc. can complete ODK forms on > their Android phones when they see African Wild Dogs in SA, Zimbabwe, > Botswana and Mozambique. We will use new identification software to match > photos of individual dogs taken (via form) with a central database so we > can understand ranges of dogs / packs. All dog spot patterns are unique. > Recent research suggests they don't stay in one reserve but travel massive > distances across farming land which is part of the reason they are so > endangered now (as farms intrude on routes etc). With better understanding > of migratory routes, protected corridors can be set up / eduction done etc. > If anyone wants to volunteer to get involved helping us with the technical > side of the project, let me know. > > Questions (am a self-taught techie so apologies if sound dumb): > 1. Are there any plans / is there a way to *automatically* export data > from ODK Aggregate via a live feed into a Fusion Table? Part of the way we > want to get the public engaged is to show a "live" map, but at the moment > we have to export manually. > 2. Photos taken are hosted in the cloud and linked to. If we wanted to get > these into an offline database for the identification software to work, is > there a clever way to do this, other than manually downloading? > 3. I know the process of downloading the app / changing settings to right > appspot server domain is really simple for those that are comfortable > around these things. But is there any way of making this even simpler for > members of the public who are tech savvy? Is the only alternative building > your own app? > > I guess this is more of a wishlist, but thought worth asking here in case > I'm missing something currently available. > > Thanks, > > Rob > > > > >

Found the documentation for the submission tag:

ODK Aggregate 1.0 now supports tags. If you have a large
survey and only need to submit a summary portion of the form to ODK
Aggregate, you can now have:

And this will submit the /data/subset portion of your form to the
server, rather than the whole form. For this to work, the /data/subset
must have an id or xmlns attribute that matches the form id at the top
of the data element:

... ...

If the id's don't match, you won't be able to upload the form.

··· On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 2:09 PM, W. Brunette wrote: > Rob, > > Answers under the questions restated. > >> 1. Are there any plans / is there a way to automatically export data from >> ODK Aggregate via a live feed into a Fusion Table? Part of the way we want >> to get the public engaged is to show a "live" map, but at the moment we have >> to export manually. > > Aggregate can stream all data it receives to FusionTables > automatically. This feature has been around since the early days so > it's not talked about as much. > > Use the "Publish" button on Aggregate. More information can be found > by clicking the help buttons in the upper right hand corner of > Aggregate. Here is a short video explaining how to do it. > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vfl0WxR-xcw > > >> 2. Photos taken are hosted in the cloud and linked to. If we wanted to get >> these into an offline database for the identification software to work, is >> there a clever way to do this, other than manually downloading? > > ODK Briefcase will download all the submission and the corresponding > photos to your computer. Alternatively if you know how to write some > code you could write a script to take the URl from the CSV or JSON > files and have the script download the picture from the URL. > >> 3. I know the process of downloading the app / changing settings to right >> appspot server domain is really simple for those that are comfortable around >> these things. But is there any way of making this even simpler for members >> of the public who are tech savvy? Is the only alternative building your own >> app? > > You can embedded the submission server URL into the form so Collect > will automatically send all submissions to a predefined server. > However, you still have to get the form onto the phone. I don't > remember the syntax off the top of my head. I am sure someone else > probably has it handy. > > Cheers, > Waylon > > On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 12:34 PM, Rob Maclean wrote: >> Hello, >> >> Background (if anyone is interested!): >> Loving ODK (thanks to the community for developing!). Am hoping to kick off >> a project with the Endangered Wildlife Trust in South Africa where members >> of the public / rangers / guides etc. can complete ODK forms on their >> Android phones when they see African Wild Dogs in SA, Zimbabwe, Botswana and >> Mozambique. We will use new identification software to match photos of >> individual dogs taken (via form) with a central database so we can >> understand ranges of dogs / packs. All dog spot patterns are unique. Recent >> research suggests they don't stay in one reserve but travel massive >> distances across farming land which is part of the reason they are so >> endangered now (as farms intrude on routes etc). With better understanding >> of migratory routes, protected corridors can be set up / eduction done etc. >> If anyone wants to volunteer to get involved helping us with the technical >> side of the project, let me know. >> >> Questions (am a self-taught techie so apologies if sound dumb): >> 1. Are there any plans / is there a way to automatically export data from >> ODK Aggregate via a live feed into a Fusion Table? Part of the way we want >> to get the public engaged is to show a "live" map, but at the moment we have >> to export manually. >> 2. Photos taken are hosted in the cloud and linked to. If we wanted to get >> these into an offline database for the identification software to work, is >> there a clever way to do this, other than manually downloading? >> 3. I know the process of downloading the app / changing settings to right >> appspot server domain is really simple for those that are comfortable around >> these things. But is there any way of making this even simpler for members >> of the public who are tech savvy? Is the only alternative building your own >> app? >> >> I guess this is more of a wishlist, but thought worth asking here in case >> I'm missing something currently available. >> >> Thanks, >> >> Rob >> >> >> >> >> -- >> Post: opendatakit@googlegroups.com >> Unsubscribe: opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com >> Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en

Rob,

I don't think the documentation is up, but this should work in ODK 1.2.

When you submit, it'll use my-opendatakit.appspot.com instead of
whatever is in the server settings.

Yaw

··· On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 7:39 AM, Rob Maclean wrote: > [Sorry Waylon (not Wayne)] > > > On Wednesday, July 25, 2012 9:04:12 AM UTC+2, Rob Maclean wrote: >> >> Hello, >> >> Background (if anyone is interested!): >> Loving ODK (thanks to the community for developing!). Am hoping to kick >> off a project with the Endangered Wildlife Trust in South Africa where >> members of the public / rangers / guides etc. can complete ODK forms on >> their Android phones when they see African Wild Dogs in SA, Zimbabwe, >> Botswana and Mozambique. We will use new identification software to match >> photos of individual dogs taken (via form) with a central database so we can >> understand ranges of dogs / packs. All dog spot patterns are unique. Recent >> research suggests they don't stay in one reserve but travel massive >> distances across farming land which is part of the reason they are so >> endangered now (as farms intrude on routes etc). With better understanding >> of migratory routes, protected corridors can be set up / eduction done etc. >> If anyone wants to volunteer to get involved helping us with the technical >> side of the project, let me know. >> >> Questions (am a self-taught techie so apologies if sound dumb): >> 1. Are there any plans / is there a way to automatically export data from >> ODK Aggregate via a live feed into a Fusion Table? Part of the way we want >> to get the public engaged is to show a "live" map, but at the moment we have >> to export manually. >> 2. Photos taken are hosted in the cloud and linked to. If we wanted to get >> these into an offline database for the identification software to work, is >> there a clever way to do this, other than manually downloading? >> 3. I know the process of downloading the app / changing settings to right >> appspot server domain is really simple for those that are comfortable around >> these things. But is there any way of making this even simpler for members >> of the public who are tech savvy? Is the only alternative building your own >> app? >> >> I guess this is more of a wishlist, but thought worth asking here in case >> I'm missing something currently available. >> >> Thanks, >> >> Rob >> >> >> >> > -- > Post: opendatakit@googlegroups.com > Unsubscribe: opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com > Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en

However, as noted by Waylon, this does not configure ODK Collect to fetch
forms from a particular server. That remains a manual process.

Mitch

··· On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 7:19 PM, Yaw Anokwa wrote:

Rob,

I don't think the documentation is up, but this should work in ODK 1.2.

When you submit, it'll use my-opendatakit.appspot.com instead of
whatever is in the server settings.

Yaw

On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 7:39 AM, Rob Maclean rob@satpacktravel.com wrote:

[Sorry Waylon (not Wayne)]

On Wednesday, July 25, 2012 9:04:12 AM UTC+2, Rob Maclean wrote:

Hello,

Background (if anyone is interested!):
Loving ODK (thanks to the community for developing!). Am hoping to kick
off a project with the Endangered Wildlife Trust in South Africa where
members of the public / rangers / guides etc. can complete ODK forms on
their Android phones when they see African Wild Dogs in SA, Zimbabwe,
Botswana and Mozambique. We will use new identification software to
match
photos of individual dogs taken (via form) with a central database so
we can
understand ranges of dogs / packs. All dog spot patterns are unique.
Recent
research suggests they don't stay in one reserve but travel massive
endangered now (as farms intrude on routes etc). With better
understanding
of migratory routes, protected corridors can be set up / eduction done
etc.
If anyone wants to volunteer to get involved helping us with the
technical

1. Are there any plans / is there a way to automatically export data
    from
    ODK Aggregate via a live feed into a Fusion Table? Part of the way we
    want
    to get the public engaged is to show a "live" map, but at the moment we
    have
    to export manually.
  2. Photos taken are hosted in the cloud and linked to. If we wanted to
    get
    these into an offline database for the identification software to work,
    is
  3. I know the process of downloading the app / changing settings to
    right
    around
    these things. But is there any way of making this even simpler for
    members
    of the public who are tech savvy? Is the only alternative building your
    own
    app?

I guess this is more of a wishlist, but thought worth asking here in
case

Thanks,

Rob

--

--

--
Mitch Sundt
Software Engineer
University of Washington