crashes. Also, the forms I am working with. What the Heck, I will throw in
my APK.

I am doing training in Monrovia, Liberia for a huge data collection. Sample
size is about 4500, and we are using 50 android phones to run the KoBo
version of ODK. In the first day of training, I had about 20 serious error
incidents, maybe more that were not reported. Very awkward for the first
day of class.

1. Power on Blue:
    Conditions: Happens when you try and start the PDA.
    Symptoms: PDA will not boot until you remove and replace the battery. Red
    button doesn't do anything. Blue LED is showing.
    Solution: Remove battery. Put battery back. Start. May happen twice on one
    phone, though not right in a row.
    Comments: Really? C'mon, never seen this before and I see it 8 times in one
    day.

2. Force close
    Conditions: Happens sometimes when you open ODK. May happen on Saving
    completed data.
    Symptoms: Sorry! crash screen. Often followed by error #3.
    comments: see attached screen SorryOnOpenorClose.png
    Solution: None.

3)Nothing available to enter
Conditions: After ODK loads, often following an error #2, but not always.
Symptoms: ODK cant' read or load the forms off the SDcard. Either Shows
[Start New Form (0)], or shows "Nothing to Display Screen".
Comments: see attached screenshot.
Solution: remounting the SDCard will at least fix this temporarily. So will
a restart.

Notes: after any of these errors, remounting the SDcard or rebooting might
or might not sort it out temporarily, but not permanently.

Just so we know what version:
From the Android Manifest
package: org.odk.collect.android
Version Code: 8
Version Name 1.1.4

I'm running HTC Mytouch androids, 32A and 32B mixed. Most of my errors are
showing up on the 32As, but that could be a coincidence, and these errors
happen on the 32Bs as well.

So, clearly, I have done something dramatically wrong. Weirdly, it doesn't
fail 100% of the time in any one way, these errors are all over the place.
So, I'm digging in to it, but I am pressed for a solution and a fix before
the Liberians start to get upset. Thus, the massive junk dump. Looking
forward to hearing from you and will keep you posted on my progress. As
always, your help and advice is much appreciated.
☞§※⌘:airplane::open_umbrella:
~Neil

crashoutput.txt (5.25 KB)

Morning.xml (21.6 KB)

Example_Form.xml (9.22 KB)

KoBo.apk (423 KB)

sorry about all the problems you are having. this seems like you have
a bad batch of sd cards. have you used the phones in previous and had
good luck? are these new or refurbished phones? any other crashes with
applications that might read/write to the external sd card? if you
have a crash free phone and a crashy phone can you swap sd cards and
see the crashes follow the sd card?

··· On Sat, Oct 23, 2010 at 11:33, Neil Hendrick wrote: > ODeeKers, > > You can test and tweak all you want, but the day you actually start your > project, something always goes wrong. Once I got all the enumerators working > at the same time, I had a flood of errors. The errors are all over the > place, but they seem to be focused around read/write to the SDcard. That's a > guess. I will describe the errors in brief, provide version information, and > attach a logcat from one of the androids crashing. Also some screenshots of > crashes. Also, the forms I am working with. What the Heck, I will throw in > my APK. > > I am doing training in Monrovia, Liberia for a huge data collection. Sample > size is about 4500, and we are using 50 android phones to run the KoBo > version of ODK. In the first day of training, I had about 20 serious error > incidents, maybe more that were not reported. Very awkward for the first > day of class. > > 1) Power on Blue: > Conditions: Happens when you try and start the PDA. > Symptoms: PDA will not boot until you remove and replace the battery. Red > button doesn't do anything. Blue LED is showing. > Solution: Remove battery. Put battery back. Start. May happen twice on one > phone, though not right in a row. > Comments: Really? C'mon, never seen this before and I see it 8 times in one > day. > > 2) Force close > Conditions: Happens sometimes when you open ODK. May happen on Saving > completed data. > Symptoms: Sorry! crash screen. Often followed by error #3. > comments: see attached screen SorryOnOpenorClose.png > Solution: None. > > 3)Nothing available to enter > Conditions: After ODK loads, often following an error #2, but not always. > Symptoms: ODK cant' read or load the forms off the SDcard. Either Shows > [Start New Form (0)], or shows "Nothing to Display Screen". > Comments: see attached screenshot. > Solution: remounting the SDCard will at least fix this temporarily. So will > a restart. > > Notes: after any of these errors, remounting the SDcard or rebooting might > or might not sort it out temporarily, but not permanently. > > Just so we know what version: > From the Android Manifest > package: org.odk.collect.android > Version Code: 8 > Version Name 1.1.4 > > I'm running HTC Mytouch androids, 32A and 32B mixed. Most of my errors are > showing up on the 32As, but that could be a coincidence, and these errors > happen on the 32Bs as well. > > So, clearly, I have done something dramatically wrong. Weirdly, it doesn't > fail 100% of the time in any one way, these errors are all over the place. > So, I'm digging in to it, but I am pressed for a solution and a fix before > the Liberians start to get upset. Thus, the massive junk dump. Looking > forward to hearing from you and will keep you posted on my progress. As > always, your help and advice is much appreciated. > ☞§※⌘✈☂ > ~Neil > > -- > Post: opendatakit@googlegroups.com > Unsubscribe: opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com > Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en >

ODeeKers,

thanks for all the help with this one. It turned out that out of 16
new Androids, 10 came with bad SDcards. Replacing the SDcards fixed
it.

thanks so much,

··· -- ☞§※⌘✈☂ ~Neil

Is there an easy way to test if an sd card is bad or not? (it sounds like no)

Is there a way to have ODK Collect save data to the phone rather than
the sd card?

··· On Sun, Oct 24, 2010 at 9:06 PM, Yaw Anokwa wrote: > sorry about all the problems you are having. this seems like you have > a bad batch of sd cards. have you used the phones in previous and had > good luck? are these new or refurbished phones? any other crashes with > applications that might read/write to the external sd card? if you > have a crash free phone and a crashy phone can you swap sd cards and > see the crashes follow the sd card? > > On Sat, Oct 23, 2010 at 11:33, Neil Hendrick wrote: >> ODeeKers, >> >> You can test and tweak all you want, but the day you actually start your >> project, something always goes wrong. Once I got all the enumerators working >> at the same time, I had a flood of errors. The errors are all over the >> place, but they seem to be focused around read/write to the SDcard. That's a >> guess. I will describe the errors in brief, provide version information, and >> attach a logcat from one of the androids crashing. Also some screenshots of >> crashes. Also, the forms I am working with. What the Heck, I will throw in >> my APK. >> >> I am doing training in Monrovia, Liberia for a huge data collection. Sample >> size is about 4500, and we are using 50 android phones to run the KoBo >> version of ODK. In the first day of training, I had about 20 serious error >> incidents, maybe more that were not reported. Very awkward for the first >> day of class. >> >> 1) Power on Blue: >> Conditions: Happens when you try and start the PDA. >> Symptoms: PDA will not boot until you remove and replace the battery. Red >> button doesn't do anything. Blue LED is showing. >> Solution: Remove battery. Put battery back. Start. May happen twice on one >> phone, though not right in a row. >> Comments: Really? C'mon, never seen this before and I see it 8 times in one >> day. >> >> 2) Force close >> Conditions: Happens sometimes when you open ODK. May happen on Saving >> completed data. >> Symptoms: Sorry! crash screen. Often followed by error #3. >> comments: see attached screen SorryOnOpenorClose.png >> Solution: None. >> >> 3)Nothing available to enter >> Conditions: After ODK loads, often following an error #2, but not always. >> Symptoms: ODK cant' read or load the forms off the SDcard. Either Shows >> [Start New Form (0)], or shows "Nothing to Display Screen". >> Comments: see attached screenshot. >> Solution: remounting the SDCard will at least fix this temporarily. So will >> a restart. >> >> Notes: after any of these errors, remounting the SDcard or rebooting might >> or might not sort it out temporarily, but not permanently. >> >> Just so we know what version: >> From the Android Manifest >> package: org.odk.collect.android >> Version Code: 8 >> Version Name 1.1.4 >> >> I'm running HTC Mytouch androids, 32A and 32B mixed. Most of my errors are >> showing up on the 32As, but that could be a coincidence, and these errors >> happen on the 32Bs as well. >> >> So, clearly, I have done something dramatically wrong. Weirdly, it doesn't >> fail 100% of the time in any one way, these errors are all over the place. >> So, I'm digging in to it, but I am pressed for a solution and a fix before >> the Liberians start to get upset. Thus, the massive junk dump. Looking >> forward to hearing from you and will keep you posted on my progress. As >> always, your help and advice is much appreciated. >> ☞§※⌘✈☂ >> ~Neil >> >> -- >> Post: opendatakit@googlegroups.com >> Unsubscribe: opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com >> Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en >> > > -- > Post: opendatakit@googlegroups.com > Unsubscribe: opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com > Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en >

you can test reads and writes with sd card speed tester. see

to download. you can also try doing a format of the sd card before
each deployment to see if that helps.

writing to the internal sd card is not a great option because on most
devices, it doesn't give you lots of space to work with. case in
point, android 2.2 is now storing applications on the external card.

··· On Sun, Oct 24, 2010 at 18:18, Andrew Marder wrote: > Is there an easy way to test if an sd card is bad or not? (it sounds like no) > > Is there a way to have ODK Collect save data to the phone rather than > the sd card? > > On Sun, Oct 24, 2010 at 9:06 PM, Yaw Anokwa wrote: >> sorry about all the problems you are having. this seems like you have >> a bad batch of sd cards. have you used the phones in previous and had >> good luck? are these new or refurbished phones? any other crashes with >> applications that might read/write to the external sd card? if you >> have a crash free phone and a crashy phone can you swap sd cards and >> see the crashes follow the sd card? >> >> On Sat, Oct 23, 2010 at 11:33, Neil Hendrick wrote: >>> ODeeKers, >>> >>> You can test and tweak all you want, but the day you actually start your >>> project, something always goes wrong. Once I got all the enumerators working >>> at the same time, I had a flood of errors. The errors are all over the >>> place, but they seem to be focused around read/write to the SDcard. That's a >>> guess. I will describe the errors in brief, provide version information, and >>> attach a logcat from one of the androids crashing. Also some screenshots of >>> crashes. Also, the forms I am working with. What the Heck, I will throw in >>> my APK. >>> >>> I am doing training in Monrovia, Liberia for a huge data collection. Sample >>> size is about 4500, and we are using 50 android phones to run the KoBo >>> version of ODK. In the first day of training, I had about 20 serious error >>> incidents, maybe more that were not reported. Very awkward for the first >>> day of class. >>> >>> 1) Power on Blue: >>> Conditions: Happens when you try and start the PDA. >>> Symptoms: PDA will not boot until you remove and replace the battery. Red >>> button doesn't do anything. Blue LED is showing. >>> Solution: Remove battery. Put battery back. Start. May happen twice on one >>> phone, though not right in a row. >>> Comments: Really? C'mon, never seen this before and I see it 8 times in one >>> day. >>> >>> 2) Force close >>> Conditions: Happens sometimes when you open ODK. May happen on Saving >>> completed data. >>> Symptoms: Sorry! crash screen. Often followed by error #3. >>> comments: see attached screen SorryOnOpenorClose.png >>> Solution: None. >>> >>> 3)Nothing available to enter >>> Conditions: After ODK loads, often following an error #2, but not always. >>> Symptoms: ODK cant' read or load the forms off the SDcard. Either Shows >>> [Start New Form (0)], or shows "Nothing to Display Screen". >>> Comments: see attached screenshot. >>> Solution: remounting the SDCard will at least fix this temporarily. So will >>> a restart. >>> >>> Notes: after any of these errors, remounting the SDcard or rebooting might >>> or might not sort it out temporarily, but not permanently. >>> >>> Just so we know what version: >>> From the Android Manifest >>> package: org.odk.collect.android >>> Version Code: 8 >>> Version Name 1.1.4 >>> >>> I'm running HTC Mytouch androids, 32A and 32B mixed. Most of my errors are >>> showing up on the 32As, but that could be a coincidence, and these errors >>> happen on the 32Bs as well. >>> >>> So, clearly, I have done something dramatically wrong. Weirdly, it doesn't >>> fail 100% of the time in any one way, these errors are all over the place. >>> So, I'm digging in to it, but I am pressed for a solution and a fix before >>> the Liberians start to get upset. Thus, the massive junk dump. Looking >>> forward to hearing from you and will keep you posted on my progress. As >>> always, your help and advice is much appreciated. >>> ☞§※⌘✈☂ >>> ~Neil >>> >>> -- >>> Post: opendatakit@googlegroups.com >>> Unsubscribe: opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com >>> Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en >>> >> >> -- >> Post: opendatakit@googlegroups.com >> Unsubscribe: opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com >> Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en >> > > -- > Post: opendatakit@googlegroups.com > Unsubscribe: opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com > Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en >

We had a lot of weird errors until we switched to the operator
Lonestar in Liberia. In my experience they are the best

··· On 10/24/10, Yaw Anokwa wrote: > you can test reads and writes with sd card speed tester. see > http://www.appbrain.com/app/sd-card-speed-tester/br.com.fast4ward.sdcardspeedtester > to download. you can also try doing a format of the sd card before > each deployment to see if that helps. > > writing to the internal sd card is not a great option because on most > devices, it doesn't give you lots of space to work with. case in > point, android 2.2 is now storing applications on the external card. > > On Sun, Oct 24, 2010 at 18:18, Andrew Marder wrote: >> Is there an easy way to test if an sd card is bad or not? (it sounds like >> no) >> >> Is there a way to have ODK Collect save data to the phone rather than >> the sd card? >> >> On Sun, Oct 24, 2010 at 9:06 PM, Yaw Anokwa wrote: >>> sorry about all the problems you are having. this seems like you have >>> a bad batch of sd cards. have you used the phones in previous and had >>> good luck? are these new or refurbished phones? any other crashes with >>> applications that might read/write to the external sd card? if you >>> have a crash free phone and a crashy phone can you swap sd cards and >>> see the crashes follow the sd card? >>> >>> On Sat, Oct 23, 2010 at 11:33, Neil Hendrick wrote: >>>> ODeeKers, >>>> >>>> You can test and tweak all you want, but the day you actually start your >>>> project, something always goes wrong. Once I got all the enumerators >>>> working >>>> at the same time, I had a flood of errors. The errors are all over the >>>> place, but they seem to be focused around read/write to the SDcard. >>>> That's a >>>> guess. I will describe the errors in brief, provide version information, >>>> and >>>> attach a logcat from one of the androids crashing. Also some screenshots >>>> of >>>> crashes. Also, the forms I am working with. What the Heck, I will throw >>>> in >>>> my APK. >>>> >>>> I am doing training in Monrovia, Liberia for a huge data collection. >>>> Sample >>>> size is about 4500, and we are using 50 android phones to run the KoBo >>>> version of ODK. In the first day of training, I had about 20 serious >>>> error >>>> incidents, maybe more that were not reported. Very awkward for the >>>> first >>>> day of class. >>>> >>>> 1) Power on Blue: >>>> Conditions: Happens when you try and start the PDA. >>>> Symptoms: PDA will not boot until you remove and replace the battery. >>>> Red >>>> button doesn't do anything. Blue LED is showing. >>>> Solution: Remove battery. Put battery back. Start. May happen twice on >>>> one >>>> phone, though not right in a row. >>>> Comments: Really? C'mon, never seen this before and I see it 8 times in >>>> one >>>> day. >>>> >>>> 2) Force close >>>> Conditions: Happens sometimes when you open ODK. May happen on Saving >>>> completed data. >>>> Symptoms: Sorry! crash screen. Often followed by error #3. >>>> comments: see attached screen SorryOnOpenorClose.png >>>> Solution: None. >>>> >>>> 3)Nothing available to enter >>>> Conditions: After ODK loads, often following an error #2, but not >>>> always. >>>> Symptoms: ODK cant' read or load the forms off the SDcard. Either Shows >>>> [Start New Form (0)], or shows "Nothing to Display Screen". >>>> Comments: see attached screenshot. >>>> Solution: remounting the SDCard will at least fix this temporarily. So >>>> will >>>> a restart. >>>> >>>> Notes: after any of these errors, remounting the SDcard or rebooting >>>> might >>>> or might not sort it out temporarily, but not permanently. >>>> >>>> Just so we know what version: >>>> From the Android Manifest >>>> package: org.odk.collect.android >>>> Version Code: 8 >>>> Version Name 1.1.4 >>>> >>>> I'm running HTC Mytouch androids, 32A and 32B mixed. Most of my errors >>>> are >>>> showing up on the 32As, but that could be a coincidence, and these >>>> errors >>>> happen on the 32Bs as well. >>>> >>>> So, clearly, I have done something dramatically wrong. Weirdly, it >>>> doesn't >>>> fail 100% of the time in any one way, these errors are all over the >>>> place. >>>> So, I'm digging in to it, but I am pressed for a solution and a fix >>>> before >>>> the Liberians start to get upset. Thus, the massive junk dump. Looking >>>> forward to hearing from you and will keep you posted on my progress. As >>>> always, your help and advice is much appreciated. >>>> ☞§※⌘✈☂ >>>> ~Neil >>>> >>>> -- >>>> Post: opendatakit@googlegroups.com >>>> Unsubscribe: opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com >>>> Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en >>>> >>> >>> -- >>> Post: opendatakit@googlegroups.com >>> Unsubscribe: opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com >>> Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en >>> >> >> -- >> Post: opendatakit@googlegroups.com >> Unsubscribe: opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com >> Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en >> > > -- > Post: opendatakit@googlegroups.com > Unsubscribe: opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com > Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en >

--
http://ianlawrence.info

Ian,
Me personally, I'm a cellcom man. But we run ODK on androids with no
SIM cards in, so I am sure it's not that.

··· On 10/25/10, Ian Lawrence wrote: > We had a lot of weird errors until we switched to the operator > Lonestar in Liberia. In my experience they are the best > > O

More thoughts and troubleshooting:

Master Hartung pointed out that I had probably grabbed the unstable
head from repo, and so I have re-installed a stable version of ODK.
This version is in fact the one I used most recently in the field, I
had it on hand, but I will still probably cook up one from the stable
part of Trunk.

Did that solve the problem? Yes and No, I am in training right now,
and so I have 50 androids in use. That's a good troubleshooting
scenario.

I am still getting a few errors, though they seem to be confined to a
limited number of androids. (#1, #44, and #47 if you want to know).
On these, I am still getting a reliable error when exiting a form,
either by saving out or by backing out.
The error is "Sorry!..." Force Close.

The error occured on save or exit every time and was reliable enough
for me to plug it in and get the logcat output which I will append
below.
I unmounted and remounted the SDcard and now I don't get the error, I
can complete a survey and save it. Or, start a survey and exit it.
Yaw may have a point about the SDcards, but most of my PDAs are not
new, they have been to the field with the SDcards they have. (#1 is
old, #44 and $47 are new) There are other new ones that are not giving
me errors today after having a re-install of stable ODK.

I notice from the Logcat output something that occurs right after
loading the form:
W/System.err( 365): java.io.FileNotFoundException:
/sdcard/odk/.cache/ee5c64629045f297b6aaed68f567376b.formdef

The full output is below. Any thoughts on this weird SDcard thing? My
next trouble shooting step is formatting/replacing these SDcards.

From Monrovia,
~Neil

··· ___________________________________________________ Logcat output for Widgets.xml, form loaded and then exited using 'back' button. Before SDcard unmount and remount. Shows "Sorry!..." error. ____________________________________________________

I/System.out( 365): Title: "Widgets"
D/dalvikvm( 365): GC freed 11404 objects / 523664 bytes in 118ms
W/System.err( 365): at
org.apache.harmony.luni.platform.OSFileSystem.open(OSFileSystem.java:231)
java.io.FileOutputStream.(FileOutputStream.java:96)
java.io.FileOutputStream.(FileOutputStream.java:69)
org.odk.collect.android.tasks.FormLoaderTask.serializeFormDef(FormLoaderTask.java:165)
org.odk.collect.android.tasks.FormLoaderTask.doInBackground(FormLoaderTask.java:82)
org.odk.collect.android.tasks.FormLoaderTask.doInBackground(FormLoaderTask.java:1)
W/System.err( 365): at android.os.AsyncTask$2.call(AsyncTask.java:185)
java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRun(FutureTask.java:256)
java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:122)
java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:648)
java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:673)
W/System.err( 365): at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:1060)
W/KeyCharacterMap( 365): Bad keycharmap - filesize=32
W/KeyCharacterMap( 365): Error loading keycharmap file
'/system/usr/keychars/sapphire-keypad.kcm.bin'.
hw.keyboards.0.devname='sapphire-keypad'
W/KeyCharacterMap( 365): Using default keymap:
/system/usr/keychars/qwerty.kcm.bin
D/AndroidRuntime( 365): Shutting down VM
W/dalvikvm( 365): threadid=3: thread exiting with uncaught exception
(group=0x4001da20)
E/AndroidRuntime( 365): Uncaught handler: thread main exiting due to
uncaught exception
E/AndroidRuntime( 365): java.lang.NullPointerException
E/AndroidRuntime( 365): at
org.odk.collect.android.activities.FormEntryActivity$7.onClick(FormEntryActivity.java:889)
com.android.internal.app.AlertController$ButtonHandler.handleMessage(AlertController.java:158)
E/AndroidRuntime( 365): at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java:99)
E/AndroidRuntime( 365): at android.os.Looper.loop(Looper.java:123)
android.app.ActivityThread.main(ActivityThread.java:4203)
java.lang.reflect.Method.invokeNative(Native Method)
E/AndroidRuntime( 365): at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:521)
com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit$MethodAndArgsCaller.run(ZygoteInit.java:791)
com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit.main(ZygoteInit.java:549)
E/AndroidRuntime( 365): at dalvik.system.NativeStart.main(Native Method)
I/Process ( 72): Sending signal. PID: 365 SIG: 3
I/dalvikvm( 365): threadid=7: reacting to signal 3
E/dalvikvm( 365): Unable to open stack trace file
'/data/anr/traces.txt': Permission denied

--
~Neil

another thought. try removing the /odk/.cache/ folder from the
problematic phones and see if that helps.

··· On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 05:37, Alex Dorey wrote: > One thing Yaw suggested was to switch SD cards on different phones to see if the problem is tied to a specific card. > > For example, try switching the SD card from #47 with one from a good phone (eg. #20.) If the problem carries over to #20, then you have identified the bad SD card. If the problem stays on #47, then you know it's not the card, etc. > > If the problem is not replicable after such a switch, then that is a problem for everyone but you... :) > > > On Oct 25, 2010, at 7:53 AM, Neil Hendrick wrote: > >> More thoughts and troubleshooting: >> >> Master Hartung pointed out that I had probably grabbed the unstable >> head from repo, and so I have re-installed a stable version of ODK. >> This version is in fact the one I used most recently in the field, I >> had it on hand, but I will still probably cook up one from the stable >> part of Trunk. >> >> Did that solve the problem? Yes and No, I am in training right now, >> and so I have 50 androids in use. That's a good troubleshooting >> scenario. >> >> I am still getting a few errors, though they seem to be confined to a >> limited number of androids. (#1, #44, and #47 if you want to know). >> On these, I am still getting a reliable error when exiting a form, >> either by saving out or by backing out. >> The error is "Sorry!..." Force Close. >> >> The error occured on save or exit every time and was reliable enough >> for me to plug it in and get the logcat output which I will append >> below. >> I unmounted and remounted the SDcard and now I don't get the error, I >> can complete a survey and save it. Or, start a survey and exit it. >> Yaw may have a point about the SDcards, but most of my PDAs are not >> new, they have been to the field with the SDcards they have. (#1 is >> old, #44 and $47 are new) There are other new ones that are not giving >> me errors today after having a re-install of stable ODK. >> >> I notice from the Logcat output something that occurs right after >> loading the form: >> W/System.err( 365): java.io.FileNotFoundException: >> /sdcard/odk/.cache/ee5c64629045f297b6aaed68f567376b.formdef >> >> The full output is below. Any thoughts on this weird SDcard thing? My >> next trouble shooting step is formatting/replacing these SDcards. >> >> From Monrovia, >> ~Neil >> ___________________________________________________ >> Logcat output for Widgets.xml, form loaded and then exited >> using 'back' button. Before SDcard unmount and remount. >> Shows "Sorry!..." error. >> ____________________________________________________ >> >> I/System.out( 365): Title: "Widgets" >> D/dalvikvm( 365): GC freed 11404 objects / 523664 bytes in 118ms >> W/System.err( 365): java.io.FileNotFoundException: >> /sdcard/odk/.cache/ee5c64629045f297b6aaed68f567376b.formdef >> W/System.err( 365): at >> org.apache.harmony.luni.platform.OSFileSystem.open(OSFileSystem.java:231) >> W/System.err( 365): at >> java.io.FileOutputStream.(FileOutputStream.java:96) >> W/System.err( 365): at >> java.io.FileOutputStream.(FileOutputStream.java:69) >> W/System.err( 365): at >> org.odk.collect.android.tasks.FormLoaderTask.serializeFormDef(FormLoaderTask.java:165) >> W/System.err( 365): at >> org.odk.collect.android.tasks.FormLoaderTask.doInBackground(FormLoaderTask.java:82) >> W/System.err( 365): at >> org.odk.collect.android.tasks.FormLoaderTask.doInBackground(FormLoaderTask.java:1) >> W/System.err( 365): at android.os.AsyncTask$2.call(AsyncTask.java:185) >> W/System.err( 365): at >> java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRun(FutureTask.java:256) >> W/System.err( 365): at >> java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:122) >> W/System.err( 365): at >> java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:648) >> W/System.err( 365): at >> java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:673) >> W/System.err( 365): at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:1060) >> W/KeyCharacterMap( 365): Bad keycharmap - filesize=32 >> W/KeyCharacterMap( 365): Error loading keycharmap file >> '/system/usr/keychars/sapphire-keypad.kcm.bin'. >> hw.keyboards.0.devname='sapphire-keypad' >> W/KeyCharacterMap( 365): Using default keymap: >> /system/usr/keychars/qwerty.kcm.bin >> D/AndroidRuntime( 365): Shutting down VM >> W/dalvikvm( 365): threadid=3: thread exiting with uncaught exception >> (group=0x4001da20) >> E/AndroidRuntime( 365): Uncaught handler: thread main exiting due to >> uncaught exception >> E/AndroidRuntime( 365): java.lang.NullPointerException >> E/AndroidRuntime( 365): at >> org.odk.collect.android.activities.FormEntryActivity$7.onClick(FormEntryActivity.java:889) >> E/AndroidRuntime( 365): at >> com.android.internal.app.AlertController$ButtonHandler.handleMessage(AlertController.java:158) >> E/AndroidRuntime( 365): at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java:99) >> E/AndroidRuntime( 365): at android.os.Looper.loop(Looper.java:123) >> E/AndroidRuntime( 365): at >> android.app.ActivityThread.main(ActivityThread.java:4203) >> E/AndroidRuntime( 365): at >> java.lang.reflect.Method.invokeNative(Native Method) >> E/AndroidRuntime( 365): at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:521) >> E/AndroidRuntime( 365): at >> com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit$MethodAndArgsCaller.run(ZygoteInit.java:791) >> E/AndroidRuntime( 365): at >> com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit.main(ZygoteInit.java:549) >> E/AndroidRuntime( 365): at dalvik.system.NativeStart.main(Native Method) >> I/Process ( 72): Sending signal. PID: 365 SIG: 3 >> I/dalvikvm( 365): threadid=7: reacting to signal 3 >> E/dalvikvm( 365): Unable to open stack trace file >> '/data/anr/traces.txt': Permission denied >> >> >> -- >> ☞§※⌘✈☂ >> ~Neil >> >> -- >> Post: opendatakit@googlegroups.com >> Unsubscribe: opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com >> Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en > > -- > Post: opendatakit@googlegroups.com > Unsubscribe: opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com > Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en >

One thing Yaw suggested was to switch SD cards on different phones to see if the problem is tied to a specific card.

For example, try switching the SD card from #47 with one from a good phone (eg. #20.) If the problem carries over to #20, then you have identified the bad SD card. If the problem stays on #47, then you know it's not the card, etc.

If the problem is not replicable after such a switch, then that is a problem for everyone but you... :slight_smile:

··· On Oct 25, 2010, at 7:53 AM, Neil Hendrick wrote:

part of Trunk.

scenario.

below.

loading the form:

From Monrovia,
~Neil

Logcat output for Widgets.xml, form loaded and then exited
using 'back' button. Before SDcard unmount and remount.
Shows "Sorry!..." error.

org.odk.collect.android.tasks.FormLoaderTask.serializeFormDef(FormLoaderTask.java:165)
org.odk.collect.android.tasks.FormLoaderTask.doInBackground(FormLoaderTask.java:82)
org.odk.collect.android.tasks.FormLoaderTask.doInBackground(FormLoaderTask.java:1)
java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:648)
(group=0x4001da20)
uncaught exception
org.odk.collect.android.activities.FormEntryActivity$7.onClick(FormEntryActivity.java:889)
com.android.internal.app.AlertController$ButtonHandler.handleMessage(AlertController.java:158)
E/AndroidRuntime( 365): at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java:99)
E/AndroidRuntime( 365): at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:521)
E/AndroidRuntime( 365): at dalvik.system.NativeStart.main(Native Method)

--
~Neil

--
Unsubscribe: opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en

Hm.. this sounds like a bad or corrupt SDCard. You might want to look in
the log after you load the form and see if you see any errors about
creating /sdcard/odk/.cache/ee5c64629045f297b6aaed68f567376b.formdef

The line 889 in the checked in 1.1.5v is:
if (c != null)
which can't throw a null pointer. What is line 889 in your
formentryactivity.java?

That said, in that line and the line below the variable "c" should be "ci",
I made the change and checked it in.

Also agree with yaw that you should try wiping /sdcard/odk/.cache manually.
The program tries to update stale cache files automatically, but if your
card is corrupt it might not be able to update them. Formatting SDCard can
also help if it's just in a bad state.

··· On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 7:42 AM, Yaw Anokwa wrote:

another thought. try removing the /odk/.cache/ folder from the
problematic phones and see if that helps.

On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 05:37, Alex Dorey dorey415@gmail.com wrote:

One thing Yaw suggested was to switch SD cards on different phones to see
if the problem is tied to a specific card.

For example, try switching the SD card from #47 with one from a good
phone (eg. #20.) If the problem carries over to #20, then you have
identified the bad SD card. If the problem stays on #47, then you know it's
not the card, etc.

If the problem is not replicable after such a switch, then that is a
problem for everyone but you... :slight_smile:

On Oct 25, 2010, at 7:53 AM, Neil Hendrick wrote:

part of Trunk.

scenario.

below.

loading the form:

From Monrovia,
~Neil

Logcat output for Widgets.xml, form loaded and then exited
using 'back' button. Before SDcard unmount and remount.
Shows "Sorry!..." error.

(group=0x4001da20)
uncaught exception

android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java:99)
java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:521)

E/AndroidRuntime( 365): at dalvik.system.NativeStart.main(Native
Method)

--
~Neil

--
Unsubscribe: opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.comopendatakit%2Bunsubscribe@googlegroups.com

--
Unsubscribe: opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.comopendatakit%2Bunsubscribe@googlegroups.com

--

OK, giving the SDcards a wipe to see what the what.

Line 889 ="id), null, null);"

Line 880 - 889 for context:
Log.i(t,
"attempting to delete unused image: "
+ Uri.withAppendedPath(
Images.Media.EXTERNAL_CONTENT_URI,
id));
del += getContentResolver()
.delete(Uri
.withAppendedPath(
Images.Media.EXTERNAL_CONTENT_URI,
id), null, null);

··· On 10/25/10, Carl Hartung wrote: > Hm.. this sounds like a bad or corrupt SDCard. You might want to look in > the log after you load the form and see if you see any errors about > creating /sdcard/odk/.cache/ee5c64629045f297b6aaed68f567376b.formdef > > The line 889 in the checked in 1.1.5v is: > if (c != null) > which can't throw a null pointer. What is line 889 in your > formentryactivity.java? > > That said, in that line and the line below the variable "c" should be "ci", > I made the change and checked it in. > > Also agree with yaw that you should try wiping /sdcard/odk/.cache manually. > The program tries to update stale cache files automatically, but if your > card is corrupt it might not be able to update them. Formatting SDCard can > also help if it's just in a bad state. > > > > On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 7:42 AM, Yaw Anokwa wrote: > >> another thought. try removing the /odk/.cache/ folder from the >> problematic phones and see if that helps. >> >> On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 05:37, Alex Dorey wrote: >> > One thing Yaw suggested was to switch SD cards on different phones to >> > see >> if the problem is tied to a specific card. >> > >> > For example, try switching the SD card from #47 with one from a good >> phone (eg. #20.) If the problem carries over to #20, then you have >> identified the bad SD card. If the problem stays on #47, then you know >> it's >> not the card, etc. >> > >> > If the problem is not replicable after such a switch, then that is a >> problem for everyone but you... :) >> > >> > >> > On Oct 25, 2010, at 7:53 AM, Neil Hendrick wrote: >> > >> >> More thoughts and troubleshooting: >> >> >> >> Master Hartung pointed out that I had probably grabbed the unstable >> >> head from repo, and so I have re-installed a stable version of ODK. >> >> This version is in fact the one I used most recently in the field, I >> >> had it on hand, but I will still probably cook up one from the stable >> >> part of Trunk. >> >> >> >> Did that solve the problem? Yes and No, I am in training right now, >> >> and so I have 50 androids in use. That's a good troubleshooting >> >> scenario. >> >> >> >> I am still getting a few errors, though they seem to be confined to a >> >> limited number of androids. (#1, #44, and #47 if you want to know). >> >> On these, I am still getting a reliable error when exiting a form, >> >> either by saving out or by backing out. >> >> The error is "Sorry!..." Force Close. >> >> >> >> The error occured on save or exit every time and was reliable enough >> >> for me to plug it in and get the logcat output which I will append >> >> below. >> >> I unmounted and remounted the SDcard and now I don't get the error, I >> >> can complete a survey and save it. Or, start a survey and exit it. >> >> Yaw may have a point about the SDcards, but most of my PDAs are not >> >> new, they have been to the field with the SDcards they have. (#1 is >> >> old, #44 and $47 are new) There are other new ones that are not giving >> >> me errors today after having a re-install of stable ODK. >> >> >> >> I notice from the Logcat output something that occurs right after >> >> loading the form: >> >> W/System.err( 365): java.io.FileNotFoundException: >> >> /sdcard/odk/.cache/ee5c64629045f297b6aaed68f567376b.formdef >> >> >> >> The full output is below. Any thoughts on this weird SDcard thing? My >> >> next trouble shooting step is formatting/replacing these SDcards. >> >> >> >> From Monrovia, >> >> ~Neil >> >> ___________________________________________________ >> >> Logcat output for Widgets.xml, form loaded and then exited >> >> using 'back' button. Before SDcard unmount and remount. >> >> Shows "Sorry!..." error. >> >> ____________________________________________________ >> >> >> >> I/System.out( 365): Title: "Widgets" >> >> D/dalvikvm( 365): GC freed 11404 objects / 523664 bytes in 118ms >> >> W/System.err( 365): java.io.FileNotFoundException: >> >> /sdcard/odk/.cache/ee5c64629045f297b6aaed68f567376b.formdef >> >> W/System.err( 365): at >> >> >> org.apache.harmony.luni.platform.OSFileSystem.open(OSFileSystem.java:231) >> >> W/System.err( 365): at >> >> java.io.FileOutputStream.(FileOutputStream.java:96) >> >> W/System.err( 365): at >> >> java.io.FileOutputStream.(FileOutputStream.java:69) >> >> W/System.err( 365): at >> >> >> org.odk.collect.android.tasks.FormLoaderTask.serializeFormDef(FormLoaderTask.java:165) >> >> W/System.err( 365): at >> >> >> org.odk.collect.android.tasks.FormLoaderTask.doInBackground(FormLoaderTask.java:82) >> >> W/System.err( 365): at >> >> >> org.odk.collect.android.tasks.FormLoaderTask.doInBackground(FormLoaderTask.java:1) >> >> W/System.err( 365): at >> >> android.os.AsyncTask$2.call(AsyncTask.java:185) >> >> W/System.err( 365): at >> >> java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRun(FutureTask.java:256) >> >> W/System.err( 365): at >> >> java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:122) >> >> W/System.err( 365): at >> >> >> java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:648) >> >> W/System.err( 365): at >> >> >> java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:673) >> >> W/System.err( 365): at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:1060) >> >> W/KeyCharacterMap( 365): Bad keycharmap - filesize=32 >> >> W/KeyCharacterMap( 365): Error loading keycharmap file >> >> '/system/usr/keychars/sapphire-keypad.kcm.bin'. >> >> hw.keyboards.0.devname='sapphire-keypad' >> >> W/KeyCharacterMap( 365): Using default keymap: >> >> /system/usr/keychars/qwerty.kcm.bin >> >> D/AndroidRuntime( 365): Shutting down VM >> >> W/dalvikvm( 365): threadid=3: thread exiting with uncaught exception >> >> (group=0x4001da20) >> >> E/AndroidRuntime( 365): Uncaught handler: thread main exiting due to >> >> uncaught exception >> >> E/AndroidRuntime( 365): java.lang.NullPointerException >> >> E/AndroidRuntime( 365): at >> >> >> org.odk.collect.android.activities.FormEntryActivity$7.onClick(FormEntryActivity.java:889) >> >> E/AndroidRuntime( 365): at >> >> >> com.android.internal.app.AlertController$ButtonHandler.handleMessage(AlertController.java:158) >> >> E/AndroidRuntime( 365): at >> android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java:99) >> >> E/AndroidRuntime( 365): at >> >> android.os.Looper.loop(Looper.java:123) >> >> E/AndroidRuntime( 365): at >> >> android.app.ActivityThread.main(ActivityThread.java:4203) >> >> E/AndroidRuntime( 365): at >> >> java.lang.reflect.Method.invokeNative(Native Method) >> >> E/AndroidRuntime( 365): at >> java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:521) >> >> E/AndroidRuntime( 365): at >> >> >> com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit$MethodAndArgsCaller.run(ZygoteInit.java:791) >> >> E/AndroidRuntime( 365): at >> >> com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit.main(ZygoteInit.java:549) >> >> E/AndroidRuntime( 365): at dalvik.system.NativeStart.main(Native >> Method) >> >> I/Process ( 72): Sending signal. PID: 365 SIG: 3 >> >> I/dalvikvm( 365): threadid=7: reacting to signal 3 >> >> E/dalvikvm( 365): Unable to open stack trace file >> >> '/data/anr/traces.txt': Permission denied >> >> >> >> >> >> -- >> >> ☞§※⌘✈☂ >> >> ~Neil >> >> >> >> -- >> >> Post: opendatakit@googlegroups.com >> >> Unsubscribe: >> >> opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com >> >> Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en >> > >> > -- >> > Post: opendatakit@googlegroups.com >> > Unsubscribe: >> > opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com >> > Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en >> > >> >> -- >> Post: opendatakit@googlegroups.com >> Unsubscribe: >> opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com >> Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en >> > > -- > Post: opendatakit@googlegroups.com > Unsubscribe: opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com > Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en >

--
~Neil