MP4 Video not uploading - ODK to Central - Zero Bytes MP4

Hi

We take a video in the ODK form, it uploads as normal but when I download it from the Submissions its a zero bytes mp4 file.

I think its an issue with a certain type of tablet and possibly the default camera app, as the video submissions work fine on some devices. I've checked the app permissions and all is correct.

I also notice that the form upload appears to be too quick to contain a video file.

Is there anything else I should check?

Thanks

Just an update on this one

For some reason when we go to take a video via ODK on certain tablets we are finding that there are 2 mp4 files produced and saved on the device. One of the two files is blank, unfortunately this is the file that ODK is referring to and trying upload.

It appears to be a fault with the tablet and the built in camera but if anybody an encountered this problem before then any workaround would be appreciated

Thanks

Hi @ODK-MAC

Could you share the name of that camera app? Some details about the devices might also be helpful.

Hi

The tablet is an Oukitel RT1 and the build in camera is com.mediatek.camera

I have also tried opening the built in camera as an external widget but it still returns the file with zero bytes, whilst saving the correct one onto the device.

Thanks

It looks like a bug in that camera app. I'm wondering if we should consider investigating existing and popular open-source camera apps like https://opencamera.org.uk/ and integrating them with ODK Collect by creating a special widget if adjusting existing ones is not possible. @LN what do you think?

Hi

That would be useful, I tried installing OpenCamera and opening it as an external camera widget but I struggled to to find the correct namespace parameters to use on OpenCamera ie the required string similar to this ex:com.example.collectanswersprovider(questionImage='')

Thanks

Thanks, @ODK-MAC for all the details. We will consider potential improvements in this area.