My choice/select multiple question data type answers not coming out the way I want

Good morning everyone, from here Nigeria. My name is Chidinma I am an undergraduate of public health and I wish to use ODK collect for my project.

Please I had created my questionnaire using ODK build, I am new at this though.
So basically while using the choose one or select multiple data types, I had filled the what I wanted as answers as the labels of my options (mango, orange, cherry), and placed underlying values as the options itself (a, b, c).
My expectations: if my respondent clicks on "a", I should have "mango" display on server's database.
My reality: only "a" shows in my server's database.

How can I analyse with just the option.

Ps: I pointed my server's database to a Google sheet created in my Google drive.

Please what do I do, this is really frustrating.

Do I need to add a data validation to my Google sheet, after spending hours on the build?

Hello @Ahunam_Chidinma

Welcome to the ODK forum. We're glad you're here and thanks for the introduction.

Regarding your issue, that is how it works. "a" is showing in your database because it is the identifier if the specific choice. In your case, it seems you want to have both name and value match to ease the analysis on your end. You can learn more about this here: https://docs.getodk.org/form-question-types/#single-select-widget.

If you have a lot of data already collected, then you will need to look at data processing options. Checkout this link Web-based Stata cleaning code generator

Has it been solved @Ahunam_Chidinma

@JAC not at all, I figured out the underlying value is only for you to get an insight of your respondents answer, so I used numbers instead for the underlying values, so that SPSS will recognize it as numeric, and that way it will be easily analysable, all you need to do is to relabel them again. I am still working on my undergraduate project. I will give you feedback when I am done. Hope this solves any issue you must have been facing. The filling of questionnaire on ODK is fast, doesn't require network connectivity :face_with_hand_over_mouth::face_with_hand_over_mouth::face_with_hand_over_mouth::face_with_hand_over_mouth::face_with_hand_over_mouth: