ODK Briefcase exports empty CSV files

HI,

I have been struggling to get ODK Briefcase to export my data onto my computer.
I have ODK Briefcase v. 1.3.2 and a Mac and I'm using a Google Nexus 7.
I copied the entire ODK folder form the Nexus to my desktop.
I used the custom path directory to pull the surveys from the ODK folder on my desktop.
I exported the data using those pulled surveys, but the csv files are empty except for variable names.
I'm using a standardized survey that is titled 'Sample' and provided by ODK. I also tried it with another sample survey form titled 'household_survey' from formhub.org.
When I open the instances folder in the ODK folder, there is nothing there.

I would really appreciate any help.

Thank you!

Juliette

sample_xlsform.xml (25.6 KB)

I assume the Pull completed with SUCCESS ? And I assume the Export also
completed with SUCCESS ?

Open a file browser and navigate into the ODK Briefcase Storage location.
By default, this is in your home directory.
On windows, this is under C:\Users\yourUsername\ODK Briefcase Storage

Under that directory, there will be a *forms *directory, and under there, a
directory for each form. Navigate into your form directory.
Under that form directory, there will be an *instances *directory, and
under that, a directory for each instance pulled into ODK Briefcase.

Confirm that you have one or more such instances.
Within each of these directories, you should find a submission.xml file
and the images, audio or video clips you captured in the form.

If you find no directories, then it means that there was no data, and hence
the export will be as you describe.

(1) No instances or no submission.xml in the instance directories.

Look on your phone, and confirm that there are files in your instances
directories on the phone. These will be under odk/instances
Confirm that these are also present in the directory you copied onto your
computer.
Use ODK Briefcase to pull from that directory. Look at the details to
confirm that one or more submissions were pulled.

Verify that the instances appear in your ODK Briefcase Storage location (as
described above).

(2) instances present.

Run ODK Briefcase, and choose Export. Look at the Export Details... and
confirm that the submissions are being processed.
There should not be any failures reported. Confirm that the Export
succeeds.

Using Notepad or some other editor (not Excel), open the csv file and
confirm that there are rows for the instances. Close the editor without
saving.

Assuming there are rows in this file...

Now open Excel (DO NOT double-click the csv).

And using its menu, choose import from CSV.

On the import dialog:
there will an option for 'File Origin:' select '65001 : Unicode (UTF-8)'
choose Delimited
choose comma as the (only) delimiter character

And import.

You should now see the data in Excel.

··· ----------------- Mitch

On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 5:51 AM, Juliette julie.chami@gmail.com wrote:

HI,

I have been struggling to get ODK Briefcase to export my data onto my
computer.
I have ODK Briefcase v. 1.3.2 and a Mac and I'm using a Google Nexus 7.
I copied the entire ODK folder form the Nexus to my desktop.
I used the custom path directory to pull the surveys from the ODK folder
on my desktop.
I exported the data using those pulled surveys, but the csv files are
empty except for variable names.
I'm using a standardized survey that is titled 'Sample' and provided by
ODK. I also tried it with another sample survey form titled
'household_survey' from formhub.org.
When I open the instances folder in the ODK folder, there is nothing there.

I would really appreciate any help.

Thank you!

Juliette

--

Unsubscribe: opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"ODK Community" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
email to opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

--
Mitch Sundt
Software Engineer
University of Washington
mitchellsundt@gmail.com

Make sure the files under instances are named submission. If you did not submit the survey (i.e, finalized it), the file will not be called submission. You can rename the file manually.

··· On Tuesday, July 30, 2013 11:36:26 AM UTC-5, Mitch Sundt wrote: > I assume the Pull completed with SUCCESS ? And I assume the Export also completed with SUCCESS ? > > Open a file browser and navigate into the ODK Briefcase Storage location. By default, this is in your home directory. > > On windows, this is under C:\Users\yourUsername\ODK Briefcase Storage > > Under that directory, there will be a forms directory, and under there, a directory for each form. Navigate into your form directory. > > Under that form directory, there will be an instances directory, and under that, a directory for each instance pulled into ODK Briefcase. > > Confirm that you have one or more such instances. > Within each of these directories, you should find a submission.xml file and the images, audio or video clips you captured in the form. > > > If you find no directories, then it means that there was no data, and hence the export will be as you describe. > > (1) No instances or no submission.xml in the instance directories. > > Look on your phone, and confirm that there are files in your instances directories on the phone. These will be under odk/instances > > Confirm that these are also present in the directory you copied onto your computer. > Use ODK Briefcase to pull from that directory. Look at the details to confirm that one or more submissions were pulled. > > Verify that the instances appear in your ODK Briefcase Storage location (as described above). > > > (2) instances present. > > Run ODK Briefcase, and choose Export. Look at the Export Details... and confirm that the submissions are being processed. > There should not be any failures reported. Confirm that the Export succeeds. > > > Using Notepad or some other editor (not Excel), open the csv file and confirm that there are rows for the instances. Close the editor without saving. > > Assuming there are rows in this file... > > Now open Excel (DO NOT double-click the csv). > > > And using its menu, choose import from CSV. > > On the import dialog: > there will an option for 'File Origin:' select '65001 : Unicode (UTF-8)' > choose Delimited > choose comma as the (only) delimiter character > > > And import. > > You should now see the data in Excel. > > ----------------- > Mitch > > > > > > On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 5:51 AM, Juliette wrote: > > HI, > > > > I have been struggling to get ODK Briefcase to export my data onto my computer. > > I have ODK Briefcase v. 1.3.2 and a Mac and I'm using a Google Nexus 7. > > I copied the entire ODK folder form the Nexus to my desktop. > > I used the custom path directory to pull the surveys from the ODK folder on my desktop. > > I exported the data using those pulled surveys, but the csv files are empty except for variable names. > > I'm using a standardized survey that is titled 'Sample' and provided by ODK. I also tried it with another sample survey form titled 'household_survey' from formhub.org. > > > When I open the instances folder in the ODK folder, there is nothing there. > > > > I would really appreciate any help. > > > > Thank you! > > > > Juliette > > > > -- > > -- > > Post: opend...@googlegroups.com > > Unsubscribe: opendatakit...@googlegroups.com > > Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en > > > > --- > > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "ODK Community" group. > > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to opendatakit...@googlegroups.com. > > For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out. > > > > > > > > > -- > Mitch Sundt > Software Engineer > University of Washington > mitche...@gmail.com