ODK central build fails on AWS EC2 instance

I tried building ODK Central on an AWS EC2 instance by following the Setting up ODK Central Docs. But I am getting build failure. Here is the error message.

Step 5/13 : COPY server/package*.json ./
COPY failed: no source files were specified
ERROR: Service 'service' failed to build : Build failed

Please help.

Welcome to the forum @sudhir2016 and thanks for adding your profile picture. It helps build community! We're glad you're here. When you get a chance, please introduce yourself on this forum thread.

What AWS AMI and what EC2 size are you using? Also, it will be hard to troubleshoot without knowing all the steps taken before that particular error message and a more complete log. Are you able to try and again and note down each step you take as you go?

1 Like

Thanks Dan. I have introduced myself. As suggested in the docs I used t2.micro and Ubuntu Server 20.04 LTS. I also tried to follow all the steps to build as per the doc. However I will try again and provide a more details.

I tried again and was able to build. I guess I missed apt upgrade before starting. Now I am struggling to connect to Central from Chrome browser. Quick question on this. I just provided public IP4 address in env file. Will this work.

1 Like

I am not sure but can provide some steps for debugging. What happens when you plug that IP into a browser? Can you get a response when you ping it?

You'll eventually want to go through Route 53 and setup a domain and such, for security reasons. I have fairly limited experience doing that but here is the AWS guide on the topic https://docs.aws.amazon.com/Route53/latest/DeveloperGuide/routing-to-ec2-instance.html

It will not. Which is why we have it in the documentation at https://docs.getodk.org/central-install-digital-ocean/#getting-a-web-address-domain-name and have a comment in the the env file that says "Use fully qualified domain names".

1 Like

Thank you Yanokwa. So there is no temporary work around like setting Domain=Local and SQL_TYPE=Selfsign and using http instead of https in browser just for testing. Or maybe something else.