ODK Central OData refused connection to PowerBI and Excel

1. What is the problem? Be very detailed.
ODK Central Odata link is refusing connection to PowerBI and Excel. However. it successfully connects to Tableau Desktop
Preformatted text

2. What app or server are you using and on what device and operating system? Include version numbers.
Using Central 0.5 beta on Digitalocean server. Everything else looks good so far. Installation created no error.
Power BI Version: 2.69.5467.2151 64-bit (May 2019) windows 10 desktop

3. What you have you tried to fix the problem?
Checked with Excel. That too is refusing to connect. However, when tried Tableau OData connection, that worked flawlessly.

4. What steps can we take to reproduce the problem?

5. Anything else we should know or have? If you have a test form or screenshots or logs, attach below.
Screenshot provided.

1 Like

hi @Debjit_Biswas1, and welcome to the odk community. if you have a moment, please introduce yourself to everybody here.

so, did the excel/powerbi connect process ever prompt you for a username and password? the microsoft stack does this weird thing where you enter your credentials once and it remembers them, whether they were correct or not. if this describes your case, you may need to reset your stored credentials as described here.

3 Likes

Thank you @issa! I could solve the issue with the help provided. I have also introduced myself:slight_smile: )

2 Likes

i'm glad that worked! :slight_smile:

Hello, this thread catches my attention like a hungry man to food. Curious, how do we connect ODK data collected to PowerBI? Do we just give the link at the Get Source option in PowerBI?

ODK Central server has OData link built in. Therefore, you can connect to PowerBI, Excel, Tableau etc.

1 Like

Thank you, how do I get the Odata link please?

Under Projects / Forms / Submissions you get "Analyze via OData" button.

1 Like

Is this via the aggregate webpage? ....appspot.com?

Or do I have download a briefcase or something. I am not able to see this option.

Also, thank you for taking your time out to explain ! :slight_smile:

You have to use ODK Central server in place of ODK Aggregate server. Nothing else is required

1 Like

Whoa, I have never used ODK Central, Thank you.

When using ODK Central, will I also be able to create individual servers for each party I am working with? I am trying to work with multiple low income schools. Will ODK Central allow me to create multiple servers, one each for a school?

There won't be any different server, but separate users under separate projects. Under each project you can have users and forms limited to those projects. Thus you can separate different schools. If you want help in implementation, you may mail me directly at debjit.biswas at gmail dot com

2 Likes

Thank you for that @Debjit_Biswas1. I am going to first explore and learn more about this a little. I will reach out to you for sure when it comes to it. :slight_smile:

Regards

@Prasanna_Sundaram https://docs.opendatakit.org/central-intro/ has a lot of information about ODK Central so start there!

@Debjit_Biswas Thanks for your offer to help! If you can, help in public (as opposed to private email) so others can benefit.

1 Like

Thanks a lot @yanokwa . Always very helpful of you.

@yanokwa Thank you for the guidance. Will surely do that in the future

1 Like

Hello. My name is David. I am trying to connect to an OData feed. My ODK Central is hosted on a DigitalOcean server. For some reason, I get the error message: The remote server returned an error: (403) Forbidden. I tried to whitelist my IP address through DigitalOcean (firewall), but this will not work either. Is there something that I am missing? Please let me know if you have some ideas.

Hi @dlederer!

How are you connecting to the OData feed? Are you using PowerBI or Excel, or another tool?

You will need to enter your ODK Central username and password in order to access the OData feed. Were you prompted for a username and password?

If you're using PowerBI or Excel and were prompted for a username and password, then you may need to reset your stored credentials in PowerBI/Excel: see @issa's comment above.

1 Like

Hi. Thank you for the quick reply. I am connecting to the OData feed using Excel. I entered in my ODK Central username and password, but it still will not work. I reset my permissions as Issa suggested, but I still receive a 403 error. A bit confused as to how to proceed from here...

I am currently located in Ivory Coast and Ghana (maybe this impacts things?), I am using Microsoft Excel 2016, DigitalOcean, hosted website on GoDaddy.

@dlederer, what version of ODK Central are you using? Can you tell us more about how you installed and configured Central?

Are you able to access Central in your browser? That is, are you only having trouble with the OData feed?