ODK Central on GCP - possible?

Wondering why running Central on GCP is a non-starter, as per the documentation? (https://docs.opendatakit.org/central-install/)

1. What is the problem? Be very detailed.

The documentation indicates that Central won't run on GCP (more precisely, Google App Engine). However, GCP has full Docker capability.

2. What app or server are you using and on what device and operating system? Include version numbers.

3. What you have you tried to fix the problem?

4. What steps can we take to reproduce the problem?

5. Anything else we should know or have? If you have a test form or screenshots or logs, attach below.

Before attempting to undertake this task, I'd like to know if it's a wild goose chase, because of some insurmountable issue. Otherwise, if someone has been successful, is there any documentation, tips, hints? If no-one has tried, I'll give it a shot.

Hi @Neil_Moloney, @issa would know best, but it's not a wild good chase. It probably will work fine on GCP, it's just we haven't tried. If you try and it works, please report back with the steps you followed so we can make that available to others.

yeah, it really ought to work. so far we've had a number of people slot it all into their own docker setups, and nobody has run into an issue so far with the system itself. the main issue you're likely to run into is mapping the external/host ports onto whatever upstream layer you're feeding into, if they aren't just 80 and 443.

if you start running into problems, i am not a docker expert by any means but i can try to tell you what i know. PM me if you want to find me more interactively, but i'll keep an eye on this thread.