ODK Central v0.3 Beta

Central betas are an opportunity to get community feedback on ongoing work, so head to https://docs.opendatakit.org/central-intro and follow the instructions to try it out on our sandbox or your own machine!

The highlights for this release are:

• Upload one or more attachments by prompt
  • Infinitely scroll the response table
  • Self-update account details
  • Added crash reporting

Thanks to the great feedback from @Mariano_Corzo_Toscan, @Felix_Mutua, @dr_michaelmarks, @MatthewMac, we've also made other improvements.

• Better support for self-signed certs
  • Remove date header check for OpenRosa requests
  • Prevented deleted forms form appearing in the form listing
  • User names are no longer case sensitive
  • Decode XML entities for Briefcase/OData output

I encourage you to try Central and put your feedback in a comment below :point_down: We are particularly interested in answers to the following questions.

1. What, if anything, was confusing?
  2. What missing feature is preventing you from using this for your next project?

Without even testing I can tell you a few central components missing from our end to replace Aggregate with Central at LSHTM

1) Support for encryption

• This is needed for health research projects
  • Especially in the EU given GDPR

2) Pulls with Briefcase

• Because we use this for automated analysis with R

3) Remove old users

• Because we have loads of projects and the list gets long if we can't delete people

4) More control over user rights

• Because some people should be able to download data but not create new accounts, delete forms etc

5) Enketo support

• Because it is super useful and sometimes web data colleciton is needed
3 Likes

Noted..... Thanks.

Has the following been included:

1. Deleting of app users been implemented

2. Including a field for the app user on the csv?

1 Like

Thank you for your feedback, @dr_michaelmarks! The features you mention are definitely all important, and we're aiming to implement them. We've spent part of this week planning our next couple of releases, which will include more project management functionality. As we roll that out, I think we'll have more functionality around (3) and (4). We're planning to continue releasing new versions regularly, and as we do so, I think we'll be striving to both implement functionality that already exists in Aggregate (such as user deletion) and roll out new functionality (such as project management).

@Felix_Mutua, as part of that new project management functionality, there will be improvements to how app users are organized. Those improvements should help reduce the number of app users you see on a single page. In addition, we may also hide revoked app users in the list by default. Would that be useful?

As part of the next release, we're also planning to add the app user name to the CSV.

For those who is missing publish to Google sheet function from ODK Aggregate. A good script that can read OData feed from ODK Central and bring to your Google sheet can be found in GitHub. Just replace row 111:

var odata_fetch_url = odataurl + table_name_selected + 'S';

with:

var odata_fetch_url = odataurl + table_name_selected;

3 Likes

Is there a public Roadmap for Central available?

I would really like to see a way to use ODK Central with one of the qGIS plugins. Preferrably this one that also allows simple form design: https://github.com/shivareddyiirs/QRealTime/issues/11

Edit: looks like it is actually working: QRealTime: A QGIS plug-in for ODK - #10 by shiva_Reddy

Am very excited to start using ODK Central and just tried to set up as docker on DigitalOcean, as per instructions here: https://github.com/opendatakit/central#running-on-digitalocean

However, on launching docker-compose build or docker-compose up I only receive errors. There seems to be a problem with package management.

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 postgresql-client-9.6 : Depends: libpq5 (>= 9.6.11) but 9.6.10-0+deb9u1 is to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

I assume this is a problem within the container, rather than a DigitalOcean problem. Anything I can do about this? Would love to try Central out.

@tcw I also ran into this bug and it's now been fixed at https://github.com/opendatakit/central/pull/45/files.

You should be able to use https://github.com/opendatakit/central#upgrading-to-the-latest-version to get that update and then continue the install.

@yanokwa Many thanks for this -- have now got it to work and starting to test. New interface looks great, docker-based set-up on DigitalOcean much more straightforward than google apps, and things seems very robust. (Not that I have put it under any stress testing).

However:- a question I cannot find answered easily in ODK Central docs. How backward compatible is Central?

I ask because we currently rely on a number of ruggedised field GPS devices which can only run ODK Collect 1.4.17 (presumably due to the base Android 4), which makes the QR code scanning / App User system tricky to use.

Manually typing in the long server link (from a non-field device that /can/ run ODK Collect 1.18) to these older devices does not seem to work (a username and password demanded, but I can find no obvious way to find out what that would be).

Thanks and please do keep going with Central!

1 Like

@tcw Central should be compatible with most versions of Collect as long as you can type the long URL (which I know is annoying, but that system has some nice security properties).

If you give me more information about the device you are using with Collect v1.18, we can try to reproduce the error and fix it. Once we get that working, we can look into v1.4.17.

Hi @yanokwa - that's very good to know. Thanks!

Apologies that I was not clear. The ODK Collect 1.18 on a device that runs it works just fine.

The problem is with the device (a Garmin Monterra) which can only run 1.4.17. I've typed in the long link by copying from the device which runs 1.18 (this was the only way I could find that long link -- since ODK Central only shows the QR code - perhaps there is a work around if an independent QR reader could be used to copy/paste address).

Collect 1.4.17 demands "Server Requires Authentication", presumably a username and password, but how do I know what those are? (Collect 1.18 has a blank username and password). I've checked the long link several times so I don't think it's because I've typed it wrong.

@tcw @issa Tested v1.4.17 on Central and it worked. The possible explanations for why your setup doesn't work are:

1. The Collect version you have is different than the v1.4.17 we used. Possible, but unlikely.
  2. We used Central v0.4 (which is unreleased) so maybe there is a bug fix that you don't have? Possible, but unlikely.
  3. You typed the URL wrong. The likely issue. It's a big long complex URL so it's very easy to make a mistake.

I propose you wait until we ship Collect v0.4 and you can try again. The good news is that we can confirm Central works for old versions of Collect.

Thanks @yanokwa -- I agree the link is the most likely issue, but I did check several times. Do I understand correctly that no username or password should be required, if using the long-form URL? Will wait for Central v0.4 and try again as you suggest.

Can you make it easier to get the link from Central into older versions of ODK collect? -- e.g. an option for the url in text form instead of QR code, so that it could be emailed to the device & then cut-n-pasted into the relevant box?

1 Like

Filed your suggestion at https://github.com/opendatakit/central/issues/48 to see if we can make that process a little easier.

Hello, ODK central can synchronize with Postgres like ODK aggregate 2.0?*

I'm not sure what specifically you mean by "synchronize", but just FYI Central in fact uses a Postgres database already. From https://github.com/opendatakit/central-backend:

ODK Central Backend is a minimal Open Data Kit server based on Node.js and Postgres. It is currently under development.

1 Like