ODK Central v0.4 setup- duplicate default server error

Hi team

Great to see the Central 0.4 beta available. Unfortunately am running into an issue on the install, with docker bombing out trying to up the nginx component. With environment not running, I'm not sure how to troubleshoot.

nginx_1 | writing a new nginx configuration file..
nginx_1 | [warn] 22#22: duplicate MIME type "text/html" in /etc/nginx/conf.d/odk.conf:22
nginx_1 | nginx: [warn] duplicate MIME type "text/html" in /etc/nginx/conf.d/odk.conf:22
nginx_1 | [emerg] 22#22: a duplicate default server for 0.0.0.0:80 in /etc/nginx/sites-enabled/default:22
nginx_1 | nginx: [emerg] a duplicate default server for 0.0.0.0:80 in /etc/nginx/sites-enabled/default:22
central_nginx_1 exited with code 1

Any pointers greatly appreciated.

Matthew

hey @MatthewMac: thanks for giving it a shot and thanks for the report.

i'm not really sure how or why this is happening. do you mind trying a couple of things for me?

1. run git status in the central/ repo dir and see if anything has changed.
  2. again in central/, run docker-compose exec nginx bash and see what each of these returns:
    ls /etc/nginx/sites-enabled
    cat /etc/nginx/conf.d/odk.conf
    cat /etc/nginx/sites-enabled/default

3. blow away your nginx container (docker-compose rm nginx) and try building and running the stack again.

i wish i could be more helpful, but for whatever reason in all our own testing this never came up (though you're definitely not the only one to report this problem).

1 Like

okay never mind, i finally have a repro. solution soon.

okay, i think i've found the issue (#57); would you mind pulling the latest central from git and trying again? you may have to rm the nginx container again. apologies for the issues!

Hey @issa - many thanks for this. Now loads fine. Still getting some warnings about duplicate MIME types and variables_hash size like @arkhub had on the Git forum, but these really aren't a problem.

I wasn't able to upgrade from my previous install. Probably it's a git merge issue with the custom refs you gave me to fix the custom SSL problem a while back. Not a problem at all as we're still only running test data.

One thing that would be useful would be to include the release number somewhere in the admin page. Unless I'm not seeing something, it's only because of the new Project feature that I could be sure I was actually running the latest version.

Thanks again

Matthew

1 Like

glad to hear it's working again. i've filed an issue ticket for including the release number here: https://github.com/opendatakit/central/issues/59