ODK Collect App Form Auto Send not working

1. What is the issue? Please be detailed.
Hi, I am trying to Auto send the Finalized form to the Server, but it is not working.

2. What steps can we take to reproduce this issue?
Enabled the following settings in
In ODK Collect App, Settings -- Form Management - Form Submission - Auto Send
Enabled Wifi or Cellular.

3. What have you tried to fix the issue?
Enabled all the settings and tried with both ODK Central Server and Google Drive, but not able to Auto Send.

Please let me know is there any other settings need to be done in ODK Central Server or ODK Collect App other than this.
Thanks in Advance.

Welcome to the ODK forum, @QB_ODK! We're glad you're here. When you get a chance, please introduce yourself on this forum thread. I'd also encourage you to add a picture as your avatar because it helps build community!

We will need some more information to help troubleshoot.

• What version of ODK Collect are you using (it should be at the bottom of the main screen)?
  • Are you able to send the forms manually by using the "Send Finalized Form" section of the app?
  • Are sure you are marking the submission as finalized when you complete a survey?
1 Like
  1. What version of ODK Collect are you using (it should be at the bottom of the main screen)?
    ODK Collect v2022.3.6
  2. Are you able to send the forms manually by using the "Send Finalized Form" section of the app?
    Yes, I am able to send the forms manually when I click "Send Finalized Form"
  3. Are sure you are marking the submission as finalized when you complete a survey?
    Yes, the submissions are finalized and I am able to see the finalized forms in the "Send Finalized Form" section.

Thanks

@Szymon_Rujner, @dbemke, @Grzesiek2010, @seadowg weren't we talking about this recently? It has happened to me more than once on debug builds that auto send stopped working. We haven't been able to reproduce and thought it might have to do with debug builds but this suggests otherwise. Can any of you think of more information that would be helpful?

What Android version are you on, @QB_ODK?

I am fairly certain that it will work if you "kill" Collect and launch it again (see instructions). However, if it's not urgent, it might be helpful to see whether anyone else has ideas on how we could identify why this happens so we can try to address the root cause.

@LN Android Version 9

Will update once I kill and reinstall Collect app.
Thanks

Hi @LN,

I tried installing the ODK Collect App v2022.3.6 in Mobile(Android Version11)
Still I am facing the same issue.
Let me know is there a way to fix this issue.

Thanks.

@QB_ODK what device (make/model) are you using? And what exactly do you mean when you say that auto send is "not working"? Are you seeing an error message or do forms just never send?

Hi @seadowg ,

I have tried in the following mobile models, but it is not working.

• Redmi Pro
  • Oneplus
  • Samsung Galaxy

There is No Error message, the forms just never send.

I am to able send the forms manually by using the "Send Finalized Form", but when I enable the Auto Send in ODK Collect App it is not working.
Settings -- Form Management - Form Submission - Auto Send- Enabled Wifi or Cellular
Thanks

Settings seem fine but autosend is triggered after finalizing a form. Then such a form and all the other finalized forms should be automatically uploaded. Just to be 100% sure do you do that (finalize a form to trigger autosend)?

Another thing that comes to my mind is that in your form you might have autosend disabled on a form level (see https://getodk.github.io/xforms-spec/#submission-attributes) and that's why it's blocked. Could you check it and maybe attach your form here so that we can check too?

1 Like

Yes, the forms which I am trying to send are Finalized.

In the form Settings sheet, the value of auto-send is default. When I change that to 'TRUE' the forms are sent automatically.

Just to be clear, auto-send values are true/false/default

If the value is TRUE, Auto-send Works
If the value is False, Forms will not Auto-Send
If the value is default, ODK Collect App auto-send --> wifi or Cellular(all option) --> Forms are not Auto-Send. What does the 'default' option do ?

Ah bingo! We support only true/false values. Any value other than true (default/something/noidea etc.) is treated as false. If you want to have the default behavior (to work depending on project settings) just leave the value empty. Could you tell us where you found that default value (in the docs on the forum)?

Ohh now I see that ODK Build adds default value in autosend and autodelete. Is that what you used? This is not handled properly in ODK Collect. We definitely need to fix it so that:

True -> True
False -> False
Empty value/Any other value -> check project settings in the app

I'm on it and thanks for reporting the issue!

2 Likes

Yes, used ODK Build to create the form.

Thank you for the clarification.

1 Like