ODK Collect can't find my external CSV files in the media folder

1. What is the problem? Be very detailed.

I'm trying to use a select_one_from_file question by using a separate CSV file. I don't get any errors when I validate my form when using ODK Validate. I have my external CSV file in the media folder with the same name as my form and it successfully downloads both the form and CSV file. However, when I go ahead to "Fill Blank Form", I get errors where it says "FileNotFoundException: /storage/emulated/0/odk-csv/brands.csv (No such file or directory)". "brands.csv" is my CSV file. I also have another CSV file called "products.csv" which is used in a similar way but I only get the error for "brands.csv" I think because it's referenced first.

2. What app or server are you using and on what device and operating system? Include version numbers.

I'm using ODK Collect v1.25.1 on a Samsung A30 running on Android version 9.

3. What you have you tried to fix the problem?

I've tried looking at my storage if the media files were actually downloaded and they were. However, they are located in "storage/odk/forms/DuFry_sales-media" which is different from the location mentioned in the error (/storage/emulated/0/odk-csv). Maybe ODK Collect is looking in the wrong location? But I've tried using media files (images) before and I didn't have any problem.

4. What steps can we take to reproduce the problem?
Download the form and media folder then "Fill Blank Form".

5. Anything else we should know or have? If you have a test form or screenshots or logs, attach below.
DuFry_sales.xlsx (12.7 KB)
brands.csv (323 Bytes)

Good morning @fpcampomanes and welcome to ODK Community. Take some time to introduce yourself here :wink:

I do not know if it is the reason of your problem but I never used this select_one_from_file syntax to query a media file and it is not in the question types documentation page : https://docs.opendatakit.org/form-question-types/

Here is your form with the syntax I use.
I "bolded" the new lines (survey and choices sheets)
On the survey side you define your select_one and appearance mention the csv to query
on the choices site, for both products and brand list you define the name and value column used in the media files.
Hope it helps.
DuFry_sales.xlsx (9.9 KB)

Hi, was a solution to this issue found? I have the exact same issue but:
1 - am using the method @mathieubossaert described.
2 - only some monitors are facing this issue (seemingly no similarity, but I have no access to their phones to check), not all monitors.

Is there anything in settings that could be causing this?

FYI was solved by deleting app and re-installing. would still be nice to find out what is the source & how to troubleshoot instead of doing this...

facing the same issue.

Running ODK Collect V1.30.1 on Honor 8X, android version 10.

while the form downloads well, the media assets are not downloading. Tried on another system as well, same issue. Says the itemsets.csv is missing. Have to manually move the csv file to the android directory and issue is resolved. But need an automated version for this, since this form is to be deployed and used by other non-tech people. I am currently running the server on Google Drive. Any help would be much appreciated!

Cheers
Abhishek N (India, Wildlife Conservation).

Hi @Abhishek_Narayanan
We're glad you're here. When you get a chance, please introduce yourself on this forum thread. I'd also encourage you to add a real picture as your avatar because it helps build community!

are you sure you shared your form properly?

When using Google Drive, the -media folder should be uploaded to the same location as the form. If you share forms with another user, you need to share the parent folder which contains a form and a folder with media files. Sharing both of them separately wouldn't be enough.
https://docs.getodk.org/collect-forms/