ODK Collect v1.26 Beta 1: scoped storage migration

ODK Collect betas are an opportunity to get community feedback on upcoming releases. If you have an ongoing data collection campaign, we recommend quickly verifying your form on a test device. The release will be delayed until all reported issues are fixed.

Joining the beta program
To join the beta program, find ODK Collect in the Play Store on your device (not in the web browser) and scroll all the way down. Please don't join the beta with a device or account actively used for data collection! In particular, note that joining the beta is account-based. If you use the same Google account across multiple devices, do not join the beta with that account.

Leaving the beta program
You can leave the beta program from the bottom of the Play Store at any time. Once you leave, you will get the next production update when it is released. If you need to go back to the previous production release, uninstall and reinstall the app. Your settings will be reset but your forms will remain (though backups are always recommended).

What to check in this release

• File migration required by Android
  • Scan configuration QR code from options menu on main screen
  • On Android 6, select responses are visible when swiping back @davidbaines
  • Spacing with large images in select choices is improved @united_forever

Thanks to all beta testers for your help!

1 Like

Storage migration was painless and quick (Samsung Galaxy9).
One thought - Potentially add a further user-defined field under form metadata, this could allow people to enter (copy if you do this before migration) the SIM serial number for those that capture the serial number for use in forms. Perhaps just called user-defined so it can be used for what ever the user wants.

Hi @LN some corrections on the French text :wink:
"Les exigences d'Android ont changĂ© et les fichiers de Collect doivent ĂȘtre transfĂ©rĂ©s avant aoĂ»t 2020.
Si vous utilisez une application externe telle que OpenMapKit, veuillez attendre avant de transférer vos données."
et
"Transfert des données"
et enfin "Migration des données terminée !"

Migration was quick and painless too.
QR code menu is ok.

So glad to hear it!

I see what you're getting at and it makes a lot of sense. As we make these changes, we're trying to make sure that we don't add too much complexity to the app that risks breaking so I think it would be ideal not to add a new feature to maintain. Do you think you could use the form metadata username for this? That field is meant to let organizations who use the same login for multiple data collectors identify the people that submissions come from. It seems that using it to identify devices would be appropriate. https://docs.opendatakit.org/collect-settings/#form-metadata-settings

Yikes, merci!! I made the changes. As an aside, I just made you a French reviewer on Transifex so you can now change any string including reviewed ones or lock some that you judge as correct.

1 Like

The build has passed quality assurance with a couple of small fixes. :tada:

Collect v1.26.0 will be released on Monday 3/16. If you have any additional thoughts about the beta, please share them before then.

I want to make sure that someone at Ona has verified this build and is prepared to support their users through the storage migration if needed. I believe @kaymutua is doing this but wanted to highlight it. In particular, @Jason_Rogena has confirmed that you have customers who use external applications that won't be compatible with the storage migration. He has not yet provided more details so for the time being those clients should not migrate.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Collect will need to stop using /sdcard/odk for files