[ODK Community] Better understanding the billing system for future deployment

Can someone with field experience provide guidance?

From your numbers, you won't exceed the 1GB free-storage, and daily
bandwidth limits are at the 1 GB/day level so those won't apply; so the
only charge will be surveyor and user access.

As long as you do not continually view data on the site, the $2.10/wk
should suffice and you likely can do it without setting up any billing at
all (but you and the surveyors might find the site occasionally
unavailable).

Mitch

··· On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 11:16 AM, wrote:

Hi,

I am currently trying to better understand the billing system for a future
deployment using ODK on the Google AppEngine. The system would be used as
part of an environmental monitoring program for construction sites.

Background information:

• 2 surveyors using Android phones
  • 100 sites that would be visited over the course of 2 months
  • 5 forms with an average of, let's say 20 questions, so a total of 100
    questions to be filled by site
  • each entry would also have a low-resolution picture (about 200-300 kb in
    size)

I read the quotas and billing sections from the Help site but have some
trouble relating the information to what we are going to do.

How can I use the background information to evaluate my future data usage?
I need to calculate the number of forms submitted per day, estimate the
total size of bandwidth used per day? I'm trying to see if I would be OK
with the minimum of 2.10$/week.

Thanks,

Maxim

--
Unsubscribe: opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en

--
Mitch Sundt
Software Engineer
University of Washington
mitchellsundt@gmail.com

I have a form which is 250k or there abouts which I have been working on. I
can only upload that 3 times in one day and then I run out of database
writes, which of course means that you can not submit anything to aggregate
until the next free period. I am coming to the conclusion that for a form
of this size I will need billing on once it goes live as the number of
users submitting will mean that I will run out of database writes very
quickly.
Incidentally I never run out of anything apart from database writes so this
seems to be the weak link in the chain, have you checked the dashboard to
see the levels you are using at the moment?

··· On Wednesday, 19 December 2012 19:40:48 UTC, Mitch wrote: > > Can someone with field experience provide guidance? > > From your numbers, you won't exceed the 1GB free-storage, and daily > bandwidth limits are at the 1 GB/day level so those won't apply; so the > only charge will be surveyor and user access. > > As long as you do not continually view data on the site, the $2.10/wk > should suffice and you likely can do it without setting up any billing at > all (but you and the surveyors might find the site occasionally > unavailable). > > Mitch > > On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 11:16 AM, <maxfr...@gmail.com >wrote: > >> Hi, >> >> I am currently trying to better understand the billing system for a >> future deployment using ODK on the Google AppEngine. The system would be >> used as part of an environmental monitoring program for construction sites. >> >> Background information: >> - 2 surveyors using Android phones >> - 100 sites that would be visited over the course of 2 months >> - 5 forms with an average of, let's say 20 questions, so a total of 100 >> questions to be filled by site >> - each entry would also have a low-resolution picture (about 200-300 kb >> in size) >> >> I read the quotas and billing sections from the Help site but have some >> trouble relating the information to what we are going to do. >> >> How can I use the background information to evaluate my future data >> usage? I need to calculate the number of forms submitted per day, estimate >> the total size of bandwidth used per day? I'm trying to see if I would be >> OK with the minimum of 2.10$/week. >> >> Thanks, >> >> Maxim >> >> -- >> Post: opend...@googlegroups.com >> Unsubscribe: opendatakit...@googlegroups.com >> Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en >> > > > > -- > Mitch Sundt > Software Engineer > University of Washington > mitche...@gmail.com >

Uploading a new blank form will likely take up more writes than a form
submission because the blank form is used to create a bunch of tables
whereas the form submission only writes to a small subset of those.

··· On Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 3:58 AM, Graham wrote: > I have a form which is 250k or there abouts which I have been working on. I > can only upload that 3 times in one day and then I run out of database > writes, which of course means that you can not submit anything to aggregate > until the next free period. I am coming to the conclusion that for a form of > this size I will need billing on once it goes live as the number of users > submitting will mean that I will run out of database writes very quickly. > Incidentally I never run out of anything apart from database writes so this > seems to be the weak link in the chain, have you checked the dashboard to > see the levels you are using at the moment? > > > On Wednesday, 19 December 2012 19:40:48 UTC, Mitch wrote: >> >> Can someone with field experience provide guidance? >> >> From your numbers, you won't exceed the 1GB free-storage, and daily >> bandwidth limits are at the 1 GB/day level so those won't apply; so the only >> charge will be surveyor and user access. >> >> As long as you do not continually view data on the site, the $2.10/wk >> should suffice and you likely can do it without setting up any billing at >> all (but you and the surveyors might find the site occasionally >> unavailable). >> >> Mitch >> >> On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 11:16 AM, wrote: >>> >>> Hi, >>> >>> I am currently trying to better understand the billing system for a >>> future deployment using ODK on the Google AppEngine. The system would be >>> used as part of an environmental monitoring program for construction sites. >>> >>> Background information: >>> - 2 surveyors using Android phones >>> - 100 sites that would be visited over the course of 2 months >>> - 5 forms with an average of, let's say 20 questions, so a total of 100 >>> questions to be filled by site >>> - each entry would also have a low-resolution picture (about 200-300 kb >>> in size) >>> >>> I read the quotas and billing sections from the Help site but have some >>> trouble relating the information to what we are going to do. >>> >>> How can I use the background information to evaluate my future data >>> usage? I need to calculate the number of forms submitted per day, estimate >>> the total size of bandwidth used per day? I'm trying to see if I would be OK >>> with the minimum of 2.10$/week. >>> >>> Thanks, >>> >>> Maxim >>> >>> -- >>> Post: opend...@googlegroups.com >>> Unsubscribe: opendatakit...@googlegroups.com >>> Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en >> >> >> >> >> -- >> Mitch Sundt >> Software Engineer >> University of Washington >> mitche...@gmail.com > > -- > Post: opendatakit@googlegroups.com > Unsubscribe: opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com > Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en