[ODK Community] Digest for opendatakit@googlegroups.com - 20 Messages in 10 Topics

Hi guys
when I try deploying the aggregate to the My localhost server using
Tomcat 6.0.35 i am getting the above logs but it can't find the ODK
Aggregate

catalina.2012-02-10.log (1.08 MB)

manager.2012-02-10.log (1.28 KB)

localhost.2012-02-10.log (642 KB)

··· On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 5:45 PM, wrote: > Today's Topic Summary > > Group: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit/topics > > Use of ODK collect to draw a line and measure and area [4 Updates] > Collect GPS location from Grid Icons [1 Update] > ODK Aggregate v1.0.4 [1 Update] > Mysql [3 Updates] > MYSQL deployment [2 Updates] > Error on Downloading Forms [2 Updates] > Connection Time Out when Downloading Forms [1 Update] > ODK- setting up a survey [3 Updates] > Error when Downloading Forms [1 Update] > ODK to SMS text [2 Updates] > > Use of ODK collect to draw a line and measure and area > > Jon Parsons Feb 09 01:42AM -0800 > > Hi > > I have just come back from Guyana where we are training 32 people > there to use ODK to record social and environmental data, most of it > based on a point location - but a new requirement has come up where > they are looking to record land use change in both its nature and > size. > > We have be doing some initial work using a seperate app called > "distance and area measurment" which is doing what we want, but then > you have to export the data and copy into a GIS system to use and its > not possible for the user to add data about it. > > So what I am wondering is if ODK has a component for linking to an > application within a collect form that can do this all together, so > data on the land use can be entered in a form and then the shape can > be drawn by the user by walking around the boundary and then the form > and shape data can be saved and published to fusion togehter for > visualisation. > > Someone mentioned to me this tool might exist already does anyone > know, or if not is it on the list of things to develop in the future? > > Jon > > > > Roxroy Bollers Feb 09 08:34AM -0400 > > it would be interesting to see the too and see it in action.... > >> Post: opendatakit@googlegroups.com >> Unsubscribe: opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com >> Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en > > -- > *Play it forward and Have a good one!* > --- > "Like a camera I use the negative to develop..uDig" > "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of > enthusiasm" > ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------> > *OutSourceRox** > * > *Roxroy K. Bollers* > GIS and IT Consultant > tel. 592.685.2737 > *.........................................................* > *Follow Us On* > *Facebook * > Google+ > *Web * > > > > Roxroy Bollers Feb 09 08:35AM -0400 > > I think i might have to get me an android device and start playing > around...because I worked on a similar project for allowing GIS > to recognize my export from handheld device.... > >> *Facebook * >> Google+ >> *Web * > > -- > *Play it forward and Have a good one!* > --- > "Like a camera I use the negative to develop..uDig" > "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of > enthusiasm" > ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------> > *OutSourceRox** > * > *Roxroy K. Bollers* > GIS and IT Consultant > tel. 592.685.2737 > *.........................................................* > *Follow Us On* > *Facebook * > Google+ > *Web * > > > > James Dailey Feb 09 10:01AM -0800 > > Feature mavens: This sounds really interesting and I can see a number of > good applications for land use changes, land ownership, agricultural > practices, demography, etc. "Survey" data in the original 1700's sense of > the word. > > A land-survey approach would involve mapping the polygon overlay you want > to create via a series of adjacent points to generate a shapefile (that > might be an archaic term nowadays, I don't know). By walking the > perimeter of the land you could generate those points as a set, using the > existing data gathering of ODK. Once exported to fusion tables, you could > generate a KML file (Google's version of how GIS shapefiles should be > done), where you use the element to generate the polygon in > google maps or google earth. > http://support.google.com/fusiontables/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=174680 > http://code.google.com/apis/kml/documentation/kml_tut.html > > Alternatively (to walking the land), if you used the range-finder you could > derive the other points. I'm not sure how that would work, but I think an > approach would be to generate the lat,long coordinates based on the > rangefinder data. Yaw checked the rangefinder code in sometime ago > http://groups.google.com/group/open-data-kit/browse_thread/thread/41cbd1adeff9e520?pli=1 > . So, standing in one point you could get a single plot mapped with one > anchor point and the remaining computed. Accuracy would need to be > determined. > > - James > > > -- > James Dailey > skype: jdailey > > > > Collect GPS location from Grid Icons > > Michalis Feb 09 09:43AM -0800 > > Hello, > > I have created a form with a grid of icons like the attached image > device-2012-02-09-174110.png. I was wandering if it possible: > > 1. When you click one of the icons, to collect the gps location and save > the form. > for example if we have 4 icons, a school, a church, a house and a > hospital and the > user press the hospital icon, I would like to collect the gps location > and save the form. > 2. When an icon is pressed and the location is collected the form should > be saved without > asking the user and then if it is possible for the form to run again, > without the user having > to go to "Fill Blank Form" and then select my form. > 3. Is it possible to remove the first stage at the form where it writes > "You are at the start of > "Form name". Swipe the screen as shown below to begin" (attached image > device-2012-02-09-174110.png)? > > Thanks in advance. > > My regards, > > Michalis > > > > ODK Aggregate v1.0.4 > > Michalis Feb 09 09:29AM -0800 > > Hello Mitch, > > Thanks for the help! I followed your steps and I managed to find the > problem. The problem was that on the Environment Variables in Windows 7, on > PATH > there was not the C:\Windows\System32\; so the commands in the > *actions.cmd*where not executed. > > I changed the PATH and everything runs perfectly. > > > > Mysql > > Ken Mwai Feb 09 04:01AM -0800 > > I am trying to set up a mysql server for my project but its giving me > a 404 error. > How can I work out this > > -- > Thanks > Ken Mwai > keniajin@gmail.com. > "Technology is a lyfstyle live it" > > > > Yaw Anokwa Feb 09 08:01AM -0800 > > We can't really help with this. There are lots of guides on setting up > MySQL online. Please start there. > > > > > Mitch S Feb 09 08:58AM -0800 > > The first step is to get Tomcat 6 installed and running, so that you can > see the Tomcat 6 home page. > > A common problem is to forget to copy the MySQL Connector/J into the tomcat > lib directory. > > You also need to ensure that you run the create_db_and_user.sql script > (without errors). > > Finally, after copying your war file to the webapps directory, after you > open a browser that is giving the 404 error, you should look in the Tomcat > logs directory at the catalina....log file. Any non-INFO logged message > may indicate a problem. There are probably some SEVERE messages that are > the root cause of your problem. > > Mitch > > > -- > Mitch Sundt > Software Engineer > University of Washington > mitchellsundt@gmail.com > > > > MYSQL deployment > > Ken Mwai Feb 09 04:31AM -0800 > > I am getting this error when i to start ODK Aggregate in my local server > Am using tomcat 7.0.25 and mysql connector 5.1.18 > type Status report > message /ODKAggregate > description The requested resource (/ODKAggregate) is not available. > > > -- > Thanks > Ken Mwai > keniajin@gmail.com. > "Technology is a lyfstyle live it" > > > > Mitch S Feb 09 08:50AM -0800 > > We don't support Tomcat 7. It should work on Tomcat 7, but the "copy the > war file to ___" needs to be followed by considerably more work (and I have > not investigated the required steps). > > Tomcat 6 has the nice feature of detecting that you copied a new war file > to the webapps diretory and automatically activates it. > > Mitch > > > -- > Mitch Sundt > Software Engineer > University of Washington > mitchellsundt@gmail.com > > > > Error on Downloading Forms > > Tumaini Kilimba Feb 09 04:26AM -0800 > > Dear ODKers, > > > I am facing a problem when trying to download forms in my Aggregate > server v1.04. From within the institutions network (work) my Aggregate > server is on 192.168.x.y. I can set ODK collect to download forms and > submit forms, no problem. However from outside the institution, I > asked the IT department to give the aggregate server a public IP so it > is accessible from outside. So now I have a public IP 41.59.7.xyz:9092 > which when I navigate from my samsung galaxy I get the lovely Apache > Tomcat welcome screen, however when I navigate to 41.59.7.xyz:9092/ > ODKAggregate, the Galaxy tab automatically reconfigures the IP to the > original 192.168.x.y/ODKAggregate (which of course is only accessible > from within the institutes network, not outside). Even when I go to > ODK Collect-> Preferences->Server and set this to http://41.59.7.xyz:9092, > then I go to download foms, I can access and see forms on the server, > however when I try download the form ODKCollect tells me (after a bit > of a wait) "Download Result: Elephant Death Form - Connect to / > 192.168.x.y:80 timed out" - it seems even Collect is resolving to the > internal IP rather than the public IP I set in Collects preferences. > Does anyone know why that is and what I can do to remedy that? > > Thanks in advance, > Tumaini > > > > Mitch S Feb 09 08:45AM -0800 > > You need to re-run the ODK Aggregate installer and specify the public IP > address or specify a more friendly CNAME bound to that address (your IT > folks will know what that is) where it asks for the fully-qualified > hostname (When you first ran the installer, you had specified the internal > IP address for the server at this prompt). > > The redirect you are seeing ensures that the server is accessed through > whatever the fully-qualified hostname is. This ensures that browser cookies > and HTTPS work consistently. Without this, there are a number of odd edge > cases that give unexpected behaviors. > > Mitch > > > -- > Mitch Sundt > Software Engineer > University of Washington > mitchellsundt@gmail.com > > > > Connection Time Out when Downloading Forms > > Tumaini Kilimba Feb 09 03:35AM -0800 > > Dear ODKers, > I am facing a problem when trying to download forms in my Aggregate > server v1.04. From within the institutions network (work) my Aggregate > server is on 192.168.x.y. I can set ODK collect to download forms and > submit forms, no problem. However from outside the institution, I > asked the IT department to give the aggregate server a public IP so it > is accessible from outside. So now I have a public IP 41.59.7.xyz:9092 > which when I navigate from my samsung galaxy I get the lovely Apache > Tomcat welcome screen, however when I navigate to 41.59.7.xyz:9092/ > ODKAggregate, the Galaxy tab automatically reconfigures the IP to the > original 192.168.x.y/ODKAggregate (which of course is only accessible > from within the institutes network, not outside). Even when I go to > ODK Collect-> Preferences->Server and set this to http://41.59.7.xyz:9092, > then I go to download foms, I can access and see forms on the server, > however when I try download the form ODKCollect tells me (after a bit > of a wait) "Download Result: Elephant Death Form - Connect to / > 192.168.x.y:80 timed out" - it seems even Collect is resolving to the > internal IP rather than the public IP I set in Collects' preferences. > Does anyone know why that is and what I can do to remedy that? > > Thanks in advance, > Tumaini > > > > ODK- setting up a survey > > "Paul M Macharia" Feb 09 09:09AM +0300 > > Hello Colleagues, > > I am setting up a electronic Survey with ODK, I cant aggregate the forms > although I have created the application. I get "Internal Server error". > > Please help. > > Regards > Paul.M Macharia > > IT Administrator, GIS Support, > Centre for HIV Prevention and Research, > College of Health Sciences, > University of Nairobi. > > > > ----------------------------------------- > This message has been scanned for viruses and dangerous content by > MailScanner, > and is believed to be clean. > > +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ > UNIVERSITY OF NAIROBI IS ISO CERTIFIED > > The University of Nairobi is committed to providing quality services to all > its clients. The University will monitor and review its quality performance > from time to time through an effective implementation of the Quality > Management System based on ISO 9001:2008 standard. > > University of Nairobi Website: http://www.uonbi.ac.ke/ > +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ > > > > "W. Brunette" Feb 08 10:57PM -0800 > > Paul, > > We will need more information than that to help. What ODK tool are you > trying to setup? What version? What platform? I am guessing Aggregate > since you said aggregate forms. You might want to look at the detailed > information provided here: http://opendatakit.org/use/aggregate/ > > Waylon > > On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 10:09 PM, Paul M Macharia > > > > "Paul M Macharia" Feb 09 01:28PM +0300 > > Hello Mitch, > > I was referred to you by Sam. > > I am setting up a electronic Survey with ODK, I cant aggregate the forms > although I have created the application. I get "Internal Server error" > message. > > Please help. > > Regards > Paul.M Macharia > > IT Administrator, GIS Support, > Centre for HIV Prevention and Research, > College of Health Sciences, > University of Nairobi. > > > > > ----------------------------------------- > This message has been scanned for viruses and dangerous content by > MailScanner, > and is believed to be clean. > > +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ > UNIVERSITY OF NAIROBI IS ISO CERTIFIED > > The University of Nairobi is committed to providing quality services to all > its clients. The University will monitor and review its quality performance > from time to time through an effective implementation of the Quality > Management System based on ISO 9001:2008 standard. > > University of Nairobi Website: http://www.uonbi.ac.ke/ > +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ > > > > Error when Downloading Forms > > Tumaini Kilimba Feb 09 04:09AM -0800 > > Dear ODKers, > > Firstly, sorry if this is a repeat of a message I sent earlier, but I > cannot see my earlier message posted half an hour later so am re- > posting. > > I am facing a problem when trying to download forms in my Aggregate > server v1.04. From within the institutions network (work) my Aggregate > server is on 192.168.x.y. I can set ODK collect to download forms and > submit forms, no problem. However from outside the institution, I > asked the IT department to give the aggregate server a public IP so it > is accessible from outside. So now I have a public IP 41.59.7.xyz:9092 > which when I navigate from my samsung galaxy I get the lovely Apache > Tomcat welcome screen, however when I navigate to 41.59.7.xyz:9092/ > ODKAggregate, the Galaxy tab automatically reconfigures the IP to the > original 192.168.x.y/ODKAggregate (which of course is only accessible > from within the institutes network, not outside). Even when I go to > ODK Collect-> Preferences->Server and set this to http://41.59.7.xyz:9092, > then I go to download foms, I can access and see forms on the server, > however when I try download the form ODKCollect tells me (after a bit > of a wait) "Download Result: Elephant Death Form - Connect to / > 192.168.x.y:80 timed out" - it seems even Collect is resolving to the > internal IP rather than the public IP I set in Collects preferences. > Does anyone know why that is and what I can do to remedy that? > > Thanks in advance, > Tumaini > > > > ODK to SMS text > > Jon Parsons Feb 09 04:08AM -0800 > > Hi again > > Another problem faced in Guyana was the lack of internet, however > there is going to be a cell tower installed soon that will give good > local telephone access in all the remote areas (but 3g). One thought > is that ODK collect could send data to aggregate as an SMS text - I am > wondering if this is a posibility. > > Jon > > > > Roxroy Bollers Feb 09 08:31AM -0400 > > Sending the data as a SMS text...might work only if the receiving end will > be able to decode data....is it possible to send data as a text file? > >> Post: opendatakit@googlegroups.com >> Unsubscribe: opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com >> Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en > > -- > *Play it forward and Have a good one!* > --- > "Like a camera I use the negative to develop..uDig" > "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of > enthusiasm" > ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------> > *OutSourceRox** > * > *Roxroy K. Bollers* > GIS and IT Consultant > tel. 592.685.2737 > *.........................................................* > *Follow Us On* > *Facebook * > Google+ > *Web * > > > > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Group > opendatakit. > You can post via email. > To unsubscribe from this group, send an empty message. > For more options, visit this group. > > -- > Post: opendatakit@googlegroups.com > Unsubscribe: opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com > Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en

--
Thanks
Ken Mwai
keniajin@gmail.com.
"Technology is a lyfstyle live it"

Ken,

Please try not to send big attachments to the list. Some of our users
may not have great internet, so either compress the logs or post them
to the issue tracker.

Your logs show a ClassNotFoundException for com.mysql.jdbc.Driver. If
you are using MySQL, make sure to copy the MySQL Connector/J jar into
the lib directory of the Tomcat server. After copying it, restart
Tomcat.

I believe these instructions are in the Aggregate instructions. Please
make sure you follow those exactly.

Yaw

··· On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 04:15, Ken Mwai wrote: > Hi guys > when I try deploying the aggregate to the My localhost server using > Tomcat 6.0.35 i am getting the above logs but it can't find the ODK > Aggregate