ODK from tablets to laptops to LeapFIle to analysis

Hi,

Some background:
We are creating ODK forms (for the first time!) for data collection in Kenya. Our plan is to have data collected on Samsung tablets during the day. Each night the data will then be transferred to a laptop. We would like to then have those files zipped and sent via LeapFile to an analyst in the US once or twice a week. The analyst will then use Aggregate or Briefcase to see/analyze the data.

Concerns:

1. My first concern is that our office in Kenya wants to be sure that the tablets and ODK will sync with their laptops. I'm still waiting to find out the specs of their laptops, but are there certain requirements that the laptops need to have in order to capture and store the data?

2. And are there things I need to be concerned about when using LeapFile to transfer the data? I'm assuming this is possible to do!

3. Do you have any suggestions on how to determine if Aggregate or Briefcase is a better option for pooling data for analysis?

Any and all help is much appreciated!

RE: (1) the key requirement is a USB port and cable to connect the tablet
to the PC.

The nightly procedure would be:
(1) make sure that all saved forms are completed (there are no incomplete
forms showing on the 'Edit Saved Forms' screen).
(2) Power off then power back on your tablet
(3) connect with USB cable to laptop
(4) copy the 'odk' directory from the tablet to the laptop
(5) disconnect USB cable
(6) Use the ODK Collect 'Delete Saved Form' screen to delete all the saved
(filled-in) forms on the tablet.

The power cycling in step (2) seems to correct several problems relating to
the USB connection in steps 3-5.

If the field office does not need to do anything with the data, it can then
zip up the odk directory and send it onward. Otherwise, it can use ODK
Briefcase to process that directory and export a CSV for analysis.

*RE: (3) *

ODK Briefcase can be used to read all the data in from the zipped/extracted
odk directories sent from the field office. If your form has repeat
groups, ODK Briefcase has better Export to CSV capabilities than ODK
Aggregate.

The only advantage of ODK Aggregate is if you want to publish or import
data into Google Spreadsheet, Fusion Tables, or some other service, or if
you want to set up your own MySQL or PostgreSQL database for analysis --
using ODK Aggregate on your own server can simplify that process, as it
parses and inserts the data into traditional relational database tables.

··· -------------- As always, you should try out any workflow before 'going live' to make sure that things flow smoothly.

Mitch

On Thu, Oct 24, 2013 at 6:49 AM, Allison allison.p.pack@gmail.com wrote:

Hi,

Some background:
We are creating ODK forms (for the first time!) for data collection in
Kenya. Our plan is to have data collected on Samsung tablets during the
day. Each night the data will then be transferred to a laptop. We would
like to then have those files zipped and sent via LeapFile to an analyst in
the US once or twice a week. The analyst will then use Aggregate or
Briefcase to see/analyze the data.

Concerns:

1. My first concern is that our office in Kenya wants to be sure that the
    tablets and ODK will sync with their laptops. I'm still waiting to find out
    the specs of their laptops, but are there certain requirements that the
    laptops need to have in order to capture and store the data?

2. And are there things I need to be concerned about when using LeapFile
    to transfer the data? I'm assuming this is possible to do!

3. Do you have any suggestions on how to determine if Aggregate or
    Briefcase is a better option for pooling data for analysis?

--

Unsubscribe: opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"ODK Community" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
email to opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

--
Mitch Sundt
Software Engineer
University of Washington
mitchellsundt@gmail.com

Thank you, Mitch. This is helpful. I will certainly give it a try.

And, apologies for the repeat post - didn't know the first had gone
through.

··· On Thursday, October 24, 2013 10:29:09 AM UTC-4, Mitch Sundt wrote: > > *RE: (1)* the key requirement is a USB port and cable to connect the > tablet to the PC. > > The nightly procedure would be: > (1) make sure that all saved forms are completed (there are no incomplete > forms showing on the 'Edit Saved Forms' screen). > (2) Power off then power back on your tablet > (3) connect with USB cable to laptop > (4) copy the 'odk' directory from the tablet to the laptop > (5) disconnect USB cable > (6) Use the ODK Collect 'Delete Saved Form' screen to delete all the saved > (filled-in) forms on the tablet. > > The power cycling in step (2) seems to correct several problems relating > to the USB connection in steps 3-5. > > If the field office does not need to do anything with the data, it can > then zip up the odk directory and send it onward. Otherwise, it can use > ODK Briefcase to process that directory and export a CSV for analysis. > > *RE: (3) * > > ODK Briefcase can be used to read all the data in from the > zipped/extracted odk directories sent from the field office. If your form > has repeat groups, ODK Briefcase has better Export to CSV capabilities than > ODK Aggregate. > > The only advantage of ODK Aggregate is if you want to publish or import > data into Google Spreadsheet, Fusion Tables, or some other service, or if > you want to set up your own MySQL or PostgreSQL database for analysis -- > using ODK Aggregate on your own server can simplify that process, as it > parses and inserts the data into traditional relational database tables. > > -------------- > As always, you should try out any workflow before 'going live' to make > sure that things flow smoothly. > > Mitch > > > > On Thu, Oct 24, 2013 at 6:49 AM, Allison > wrote: > >> Hi, >> >> Some background: >> We are creating ODK forms (for the first time!) for data collection in >> Kenya. Our plan is to have data collected on Samsung tablets during the >> day. Each night the data will then be transferred to a laptop. We would >> like to then have those files zipped and sent via LeapFile to an analyst in >> the US once or twice a week. The analyst will then use Aggregate or >> Briefcase to see/analyze the data. >> >> Concerns: >> 1. My first concern is that our office in Kenya wants to be sure that the >> tablets and ODK will sync with their laptops. I'm still waiting to find out >> the specs of their laptops, but are there certain requirements that the >> laptops need to have in order to capture and store the data? >> >> 2. And are there things I need to be concerned about when using LeapFile >> to transfer the data? I'm assuming this is possible to do! >> >> 3. Do you have any suggestions on how to determine if Aggregate or >> Briefcase is a better option for pooling data for analysis? >> >> Any and all help is much appreciated! >> >> -- >> -- >> Post: opend...@googlegroups.com >> Unsubscribe: opendatakit...@googlegroups.com >> Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en >> >> --- >> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups >> "ODK Community" group. >> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an >> email to opendatakit...@googlegroups.com . >> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out. >> > > > > -- > Mitch Sundt > Software Engineer > University of Washington > mitche...@gmail.com >

I'm doing some test runs and I don't see the 'directory' you mention. When
I connect the USB to my PC, I see a folder called 'odk'. Inside that are
three additional folders. I imagine the one that says 'instances' is the
one I need (I need the one with the finalized data/forms) - or do I need
data collectors to copy the entire 'odk' folder to the PC for zipping and
sending on?

Also, we are collecting gps and audio material. When I open the 'instances'
folder, I can click on the audio file, but my PC isn't able to play it for
me. Is this because I still haven't downloaded briefcase or am I doing
something else wrong?

Thanks!

··· On Thursday, October 24, 2013 5:47:22 PM UTC-4, Allison wrote: > > Thank you, Mitch. This is helpful. I will certainly give it a try. > > And, apologies for the repeat post - didn't know the first had gone > through. > > On Thursday, October 24, 2013 10:29:09 AM UTC-4, Mitch Sundt wrote: >> >> *RE: (1)* the key requirement is a USB port and cable to connect the >> tablet to the PC. >> >> The nightly procedure would be: >> (1) make sure that all saved forms are completed (there are no incomplete >> forms showing on the 'Edit Saved Forms' screen). >> (2) Power off then power back on your tablet >> (3) connect with USB cable to laptop >> (4) copy the 'odk' directory from the tablet to the laptop >> (5) disconnect USB cable >> (6) Use the ODK Collect 'Delete Saved Form' screen to delete all the >> saved (filled-in) forms on the tablet. >> >> The power cycling in step (2) seems to correct several problems relating >> to the USB connection in steps 3-5. >> >> If the field office does not need to do anything with the data, it can >> then zip up the odk directory and send it onward. Otherwise, it can use >> ODK Briefcase to process that directory and export a CSV for analysis. >> >> *RE: (3) * >> >> ODK Briefcase can be used to read all the data in from the >> zipped/extracted odk directories sent from the field office. If your form >> has repeat groups, ODK Briefcase has better Export to CSV capabilities than >> ODK Aggregate. >> >> The only advantage of ODK Aggregate is if you want to publish or import >> data into Google Spreadsheet, Fusion Tables, or some other service, or if >> you want to set up your own MySQL or PostgreSQL database for analysis -- >> using ODK Aggregate on your own server can simplify that process, as it >> parses and inserts the data into traditional relational database tables. >> >> -------------- >> As always, you should try out any workflow before 'going live' to make >> sure that things flow smoothly. >> >> Mitch >> >> >> >> On Thu, Oct 24, 2013 at 6:49 AM, Allison > wrote: >> >>> Hi, >>> >>> Some background: >>> We are creating ODK forms (for the first time!) for data collection in >>> Kenya. Our plan is to have data collected on Samsung tablets during the >>> day. Each night the data will then be transferred to a laptop. We would >>> like to then have those files zipped and sent via LeapFile to an analyst in >>> the US once or twice a week. The analyst will then use Aggregate or >>> Briefcase to see/analyze the data. >>> >>> Concerns: >>> 1. My first concern is that our office in Kenya wants to be sure that >>> the tablets and ODK will sync with their laptops. I'm still waiting to find >>> out the specs of their laptops, but are there certain requirements that the >>> laptops need to have in order to capture and store the data? >>> >>> 2. And are there things I need to be concerned about when using LeapFile >>> to transfer the data? I'm assuming this is possible to do! >>> >>> 3. Do you have any suggestions on how to determine if Aggregate or >>> Briefcase is a better option for pooling data for analysis? >>> >>> Any and all help is much appreciated! >>> >>> -- >>> -- >>> Post: opend...@googlegroups.com >>> Unsubscribe: opendatakit...@googlegroups.com >>> Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en >>> >>> --- >>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google >>> Groups "ODK Community" group. >>> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send >>> an email to opendatakit...@googlegroups.com. >>> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out. >>> >> >> >> >> -- >> Mitch Sundt >> Software Engineer >> University of Washington >> mitche...@gmail.com >> >

Sorry -- 'folder' and 'directory' mean the same thing.

You need to copy the entire 'odk' folder to your laptop and send it on.

The audio format is in .3gp (or .3gpp). These are playable by Windows Media
Player. You may need to update your system or download and install the
latest version of that app

Mitch

··· On Mon, Oct 28, 2013 at 9:08 AM, Allison wrote:

I'm doing some test runs and I don't see the 'directory' you mention. When
I connect the USB to my PC, I see a folder called 'odk'. Inside that are
three additional folders. I imagine the one that says 'instances' is the
one I need (I need the one with the finalized data/forms) - or do I need
data collectors to copy the entire 'odk' folder to the PC for zipping and
sending on?

Also, we are collecting gps and audio material. When I open the
'instances' folder, I can click on the audio file, but my PC isn't able to
play it for me. Is this because I still haven't downloaded briefcase or am
I doing something else wrong?

Thanks!

On Thursday, October 24, 2013 5:47:22 PM UTC-4, Allison wrote:

Thank you, Mitch. This is helpful. I will certainly give it a try.

And, apologies for the repeat post - didn't know the first had gone
through.

On Thursday, October 24, 2013 10:29:09 AM UTC-4, Mitch Sundt wrote:

RE: (1) the key requirement is a USB port and cable to connect the
tablet to the PC.

The nightly procedure would be:
(1) make sure that all saved forms are completed (there are no
incomplete forms showing on the 'Edit Saved Forms' screen).
(2) Power off then power back on your tablet
(3) connect with USB cable to laptop
(4) copy the 'odk' directory from the tablet to the laptop
(5) disconnect USB cable
(6) Use the ODK Collect 'Delete Saved Form' screen to delete all the
saved (filled-in) forms on the tablet.

The power cycling in step (2) seems to correct several problems relating
to the USB connection in steps 3-5.

If the field office does not need to do anything with the data, it can
then zip up the odk directory and send it onward. Otherwise, it can use
ODK Briefcase to process that directory and export a CSV for analysis.

*RE: (3) *

ODK Briefcase can be used to read all the data in from the
zipped/extracted odk directories sent from the field office. If your form
has repeat groups, ODK Briefcase has better Export to CSV capabilities than
ODK Aggregate.

The only advantage of ODK Aggregate is if you want to publish or import
data into Google Spreadsheet, Fusion Tables, or some other service, or if
you want to set up your own MySQL or PostgreSQL database for analysis --
using ODK Aggregate on your own server can simplify that process, as it
parses and inserts the data into traditional relational database tables.

As always, you should try out any workflow before 'going live' to make
sure that things flow smoothly.

Mitch

On Thu, Oct 24, 2013 at 6:49 AM, Allison > wrote:

Hi,

Some background:
We are creating ODK forms (for the first time!) for data collection in
Kenya. Our plan is to have data collected on Samsung tablets during the
day. Each night the data will then be transferred to a laptop. We would
like to then have those files zipped and sent via LeapFile to an analyst in
the US once or twice a week. The analyst will then use Aggregate or
Briefcase to see/analyze the data.

Concerns:

1. My first concern is that our office in Kenya wants to be sure that
    the tablets and ODK will sync with their laptops. I'm still waiting to find
    out the specs of their laptops, but are there certain requirements that the
    laptops need to have in order to capture and store the data?

2. And are there things I need to be concerned about when using
    LeapFile to transfer the data? I'm assuming this is possible to do!

3. Do you have any suggestions on how to determine if Aggregate or
    Briefcase is a better option for pooling data for analysis?

--

Unsubscribe: opendatakit...@googlegroups.**com
Options: http://groups.google.com/**group/opendatakit?hl=enhttp://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "ODK Community" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send
an email to opendatakit...@googlegroups.**com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/**groups/opt_outhttps://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out

--
Mitch Sundt
Software Engineer
University of Washington
mitche...@gmail.com

--
--
Unsubscribe: opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"ODK Community" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
email to opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

--
Mitch Sundt
Software Engineer
University of Washington
mitchellsundt@gmail.com

Thanks!

··· On Monday, October 28, 2013 12:27:41 PM UTC-4, Mitch Sundt wrote: > > Sorry -- 'folder' and 'directory' mean the same thing. > > You need to copy the entire 'odk' folder to your laptop and send it on. > > The audio format is in .3gp (or .3gpp). These are playable by Windows > Media Player. You may need to update your system or download and install > the latest version of that app > http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-media-player > > Mitch > > > > On Mon, Oct 28, 2013 at 9:08 AM, Allison <allison...@gmail.com wrote: > >> I'm doing some test runs and I don't see the 'directory' you mention. >> When I connect the USB to my PC, I see a folder called 'odk'. Inside that >> are three additional folders. I imagine the one that says 'instances' is >> the one I need (I need the one with the finalized data/forms) - or do I >> need data collectors to copy the entire 'odk' folder to the PC for zipping >> and sending on? >> >> Also, we are collecting gps and audio material. When I open the >> 'instances' folder, I can click on the audio file, but my PC isn't able to >> play it for me. Is this because I still haven't downloaded briefcase or am >> I doing something else wrong? >> >> Thanks! >> >> >> On Thursday, October 24, 2013 5:47:22 PM UTC-4, Allison wrote: >>> >>> Thank you, Mitch. This is helpful. I will certainly give it a try. >>> >>> And, apologies for the repeat post - didn't know the first had gone >>> through. >>> >>> On Thursday, October 24, 2013 10:29:09 AM UTC-4, Mitch Sundt wrote: >>>> >>>> *RE: (1)* the key requirement is a USB port and cable to connect the >>>> tablet to the PC. >>>> >>>> The nightly procedure would be: >>>> (1) make sure that all saved forms are completed (there are no >>>> incomplete forms showing on the 'Edit Saved Forms' screen). >>>> (2) Power off then power back on your tablet >>>> (3) connect with USB cable to laptop >>>> (4) copy the 'odk' directory from the tablet to the laptop >>>> (5) disconnect USB cable >>>> (6) Use the ODK Collect 'Delete Saved Form' screen to delete all the >>>> saved (filled-in) forms on the tablet. >>>> >>>> The power cycling in step (2) seems to correct several problems >>>> relating to the USB connection in steps 3-5. >>>> >>>> If the field office does not need to do anything with the data, it can >>>> then zip up the odk directory and send it onward. Otherwise, it can use >>>> ODK Briefcase to process that directory and export a CSV for analysis. >>>> >>>> *RE: (3) * >>>> >>>> ODK Briefcase can be used to read all the data in from the >>>> zipped/extracted odk directories sent from the field office. If your form >>>> has repeat groups, ODK Briefcase has better Export to CSV capabilities than >>>> ODK Aggregate. >>>> >>>> The only advantage of ODK Aggregate is if you want to publish or import >>>> data into Google Spreadsheet, Fusion Tables, or some other service, or if >>>> you want to set up your own MySQL or PostgreSQL database for analysis -- >>>> using ODK Aggregate on your own server can simplify that process, as it >>>> parses and inserts the data into traditional relational database tables. >>>> >>>> -------------- >>>> As always, you should try out any workflow before 'going live' to make >>>> sure that things flow smoothly. >>>> >>>> Mitch >>>> >>>> >>>> >>>> On Thu, Oct 24, 2013 at 6:49 AM, Allison > wrote: >>>> >>>>> Hi, >>>>> >>>>> Some background: >>>>> We are creating ODK forms (for the first time!) for data collection in >>>>> Kenya. Our plan is to have data collected on Samsung tablets during the >>>>> day. Each night the data will then be transferred to a laptop. We would >>>>> like to then have those files zipped and sent via LeapFile to an analyst in >>>>> the US once or twice a week. The analyst will then use Aggregate or >>>>> Briefcase to see/analyze the data. >>>>> >>>>> Concerns: >>>>> 1. My first concern is that our office in Kenya wants to be sure that >>>>> the tablets and ODK will sync with their laptops. I'm still waiting to find >>>>> out the specs of their laptops, but are there certain requirements that the >>>>> laptops need to have in order to capture and store the data? >>>>> >>>>> 2. And are there things I need to be concerned about when using >>>>> LeapFile to transfer the data? I'm assuming this is possible to do! >>>>> >>>>> 3. Do you have any suggestions on how to determine if Aggregate or >>>>> Briefcase is a better option for pooling data for analysis? >>>>> >>>>> Any and all help is much appreciated! >>>>> >>>>> -- >>>>> -- >>>>> Post: opend...@googlegroups.com >>>>> Unsubscribe: opendatakit...@googlegroups.**com >>>>> Options: http://groups.google.com/**group/opendatakit?hl=en >>>>> >>>>> --- >>>>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google >>>>> Groups "ODK Community" group. >>>>> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send >>>>> an email to opendatakit...@googlegroups.**com. >>>>> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/**groups/opt_out >>>>> . >>>>> >>>> >>>> >>>> >>>> -- >>>> Mitch Sundt >>>> Software Engineer >>>> University of Washington >>>> mitche...@gmail.com >>>> >>> -- >> -- >> Post: opend...@googlegroups.com >> Unsubscribe: opendatakit...@googlegroups.com >> Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en >> >> --- >> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups >> "ODK Community" group. >> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an >> email to opendatakit...@googlegroups.com . >> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out. >> > > > > -- > Mitch Sundt > Software Engineer > University of Washington > mitche...@gmail.com >