ODK TAB Call - 2021-11-10

These calls bring together the Technical Advisory Board for the ODK suite (@TAB) to discuss roadmaps, working groups, and other issues of technical governance. Everyone is welcome to come to these calls, but only TAB members may talk.

The calls are held every four weeks in our Dialpad room. We put the agenda, audio, and transcript of every call in this document.

Our next call will be Wed, ENTER_DATE_ONLY_HERE. The meeting time should be shown in your timezone above.

The agenda is tentatively as follows:

Agenda
Facilitator: @chrissyhroberts
Note taker: @Tino_Kreutzer

1. Introduction

2. Warm up

3. Agenda review

4. Review action items from last meeting

• @yanokwa was going to look at Aug 18 notes and ask questions (re: TAB activities, risks to the project)
  • @yanokwa thought that @LN had a sketch and spec for Collect grid view. Was going to try to find and share.
  • @yanokwa to triple-check with the team about Briefcase API depreciation.
  1. Roadmap check-in
  • Several Proposed Briefcase things may be removable
  1. +/Δ
  2. Next meeting date (time is always 1700 UTC)
  3. Review action items

The agenda can also be seen in the agenda document

If there are topics you would like to add to the TAB's agenda, please comment below. :point_down:

1 Like

I do have some spec concepts I’ve worked through but when discussing them with @seadowg and @eyelidlessness they brought up a lot of great questions about the user experience. Grids bring value to paper forms because they enable things like verifying that rows or columns add up. Most of what we can think of that requires context can be automated in an ODK form. Having to tap into cells and have a keyboard pop up is not a great experience on touch devices, even ones with large screens so the benefits have to be significant. We’d want to do user interviews and user testing before proceeding so this is again on the back burner. Will be interested in reading what you all discuss. It seemed like a slam dunk addition to me but having thought about it more I’m not as sold. If you have examples of grid interfaces that you have found helpful on mobile, that would be good to look into.

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Form design: grid of text or numeric input