ODK TAB Call - 2022-05-11

These calls bring together the Technical Advisory Board for the ODK suite (@TAB) to discuss roadmaps, working groups, and other issues of technical governance. Everyone is welcome to come to these calls, but only TAB members may talk.

The calls are held every four weeks in our Dialpad room. We put the agenda, audio, and transcript of every call in this document.

Our next call will be Wed, May 11th, 2022. The meeting time should be shown in your timezone above.

The agenda is tentatively as follows:

TBD

The agenda can also be seen in the agenda document

If there are topics you would like to add to the TAB's agenda, please comment below. :point_down:

1 Like

@LN Word on the street is that you had things to discuss with the TAB?

1 Like

There are indeed some things I'd appreciate feedback on if there's time, @TAB. In order of priority for me:

• Enketo

• relevance and perf changes. @yanokwa gave a status update last time. We're ready to get more feedback. Current plan is to put on https://getodk.org/xlsform/ and post about it here + Enketo mailing lists. Other ideas? Would also be helpful to get your feedback on how we're thinking about when we're ready to release.
    • deviations. Any new additions and/or specific ones you want to see documented?
    • roadmap. Current plan: add geoJSON attachment support, do another round of trying to generally clarify state management with goal of fixing remaining two high-priority deviations.
  • Governance

• It's not explicit that Team ODK is maintaining Enketo, XLSForm standard, pyxform. I think about this periodically but I always end up prioritizing working on the tools over figuring governance out. As far as I can tell it hasn't affected much. Any strong reason to prioritize?
  • Collect select one from map. Next up: improve bottom sheet, improve perf, add other geometry. Any other feedback we should consider?

1 Like

The year should be 2022. We understand it's a typo mistake.

2 Likes

@ARIF_AZAD_KHAN I'd JUST gotten my time machine working and you're telling me I won't need it?? :joy: :joy:

2 Likes

Do we have agenda for tomorrow? (otherwise y'all may have to suffer thru listening to me and @LN have a cat fight over XForms relevant... :grin: )

1 Like

I don't want to be unpopular :slight_smile: but there are still 2 points I would like to talk about:

• Export to CSV from Collect (A small master's student project cannot afford a server or occurs in a remote location with no connectivity. I would like to export directly and analyze the data.)
  • Ability to send incomplete data from Collect (use case: I have a long form and the interviewee halfway decides that he has no more time and leaves. I wish I could send at least the partial record instead of losing the information collected up to that moment)

the above are the last 2 use cases that won't make me regret the passing away of briefcase :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for all the helpful feedback.

@ARIF_AZAD_KHAN did we see you briefly join and leave? Please do join these calls if you'd like! They're open for anyone to listen in. We don't typically pause when someone joins in later but you are very welcome.

As promised, I have put together a draft message for the Enketo mailing lists and this forum regarding validation of the upcoming Enketo update: https://docs.google.com/document/d/15nQeXOr1HlPklPgz6VHyLEkmIKzehazhwTiSQXY_fIM/edit @martijnr, please feel free to chime in with feedback as well! This is hard to explain, thanks for helping with that, @Xiphware.

Please note that https://getodk.org/xlsform has not been updated with the version to try out, yet.

@aurdipas thanks for bringing up the needs of small projects that are totally offline. Hopefully what I said about Briefcase reassures you that you can keep using it for workflows you already have. I think we should consider changing some of the wording that was updated recently to reflect that. Will discuss with @yanokwa.

2 Likes

Yes, I joined and left shortly as I couldn't hear the discussion for technical difficulties from my side. I will join the call next time hopefully.

1 Like