ODK TSC 1 Call - 2019-11-27

These calls bring together the Technical Steering Committee for the ODK suite (@TSC-1) to discuss roadmaps, working groups, and other issues of technical governance. Everyone is welcome to come to these calls, but only TSC members may talk.

The calls are held every two weeks in our UberConference room. We put the agenda, audio, and transcript of every call in this document.

Our next call will be Wed, November 27, 2019. The meeting time should be shown in your timezone above.

The agenda can be seen in the agenda document

If there are topics you would like to add to the TSC's agenda, please comment below. :point_down:

So, @tomsmyth raised a question about using the previous actions review items as agenda items themselves in case someone wants to discuss them.

I actually think it could work for some items related to the transition planning and such. I've gone ahead and created agenda items for them. Please, let me know what you think about this. We have two weeks to make adjustments to the agenda and open slots for new topics as they come.

I also took the liberty of adding a new (ongoing, really) action item about the new naming with a link to the doc Yaw created to write down proposals.

Also, I believe we agreed on moving the meeting up one hour. @Xiphware, could you confirm the event in this post is OK? https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html?iso=20191127T160000&p1=136&p2=22

I find it odd that Mr TimeZone himself is asking me of all people... but yes, I can confirm this event shows up as 5am (Nov 28) in my neck of the woods; ie an hour earlier. :grin:

2 Likes

I'll be off for Thanksgiving break at this time unfortunately.

I remain interested in helping with entity choice for the new org. My suggestion would be that we organize a call with https://www.softwarefreedom.org/services/. Seems like they're just what we need. Who is bottomlining this process? Perhaps this would be a good agenda item. I just don't have a sense of where the decision process is at, etc.

@tomsmyth https://aspirationtech.org/services/openprojects and https://sfconservancy.org are also good people to talk to. Agreed that we need to get a better sense of where we are.

Looks like I also won't be able to make it to this call because I'll be in transit to my Thanksgiving destination. Will we have quorum?

turkey

1 Like

Maybe we should skip a meeting for Thanksgiving? Or possibly reschedule, given that there’s a lot to discuss?

Maybe we should skip a meeting for Thanksgiving? Or possibly reschedule, given that there’s a lot to discuss?

I'm guessing most of USA based TSC members won't make it.

• Maintain meeting
  • Delay one week
  • Delay two weeks (skip)
0 voters

Caveat to my vote: I can readily make this meeting time (per vote), but there is little point if we lack suitable (N.A.) quorum.

But if we do delay 2 weeks, then I might ask - @ln? @issa? - do you think we actually need TSC approval to proceed with something as (arguably?) minimal as matchExactly ? I wouldn't want to delay implementing something unnecessarily - to address a not insignificant pain-point - waiting on TSC approval if its not anticiapted to be particularly contentious (especially will Xmas/New Year break imminent).

on the central side, this should be a really quick change, as you suggest. so conversely delaying it a little bit is not a big deal from my perspective, and i'd rather do things by the book.

i am less certain about collect.

1 Like

K. Since it does affect two tools, let’s run it by TSC to be safe.

1 Like

So is the plan to delay/skip next week’s TSC till after US Thanksgiving?

I was going to wait until Sunday/Monday in case someone has a strong opinion about this, but it looks like we will be delaying this 2 weeks.

Hi! Sorry for the radio silence yesterday. I didn't have the clear Monday I was planning for...

Anyway, since no one has complained about delaying the meeting, let's move it two weeks in the future. This means that the next TSC meeting will be held same time, Dec 11. That's 16:00 UTC.

I've fixed the event in this thread. @yanokwa, could you fix the calendar invite, please?

Happy thanksgiving!

Hi! I hope y'all had a great Thanksgiving :slight_smile:

I wanted to remember that the TSC meeting is next week, in case someone wants to change the agenda :wink:

1 Like

I think the terms of 3 TSC members are expiring at the end of this month. If so, we may want to discuss a new election (or to wait until new Foundation is set up e.g.).

1 Like

I thought terms lasted 2 years. I've checked the last 2 elections and this is what I got:

Elected in September 2018:

• Guillermo
  • Dan
  • Martijn

Elected in March 2019:

• Dickson
  • Adam
  • Aurelio
  • Gareth
  • Shobhit
  • Tom
  • Yaw Anokwa

According to this, we wouldn't need elections until next summer, provided nobody leaves the TSC before that.

Did I get it right?

1 Like

Oh, maybe I misunderstood!

I won't be able to make the meeting today :cry: because my kids are both playing piano in a school Christmas concert :musical_keyboard: