OFF-line capabilities now and in the future for data collection during disasters

1. What is the general goal of the feature? To use ODK APP offline and have alternative data collection methods. so that data can be utilized quickly in the field.

2. What are some example use cases for this feature? Data collection and aggregation during natural disasters and working with out the benefit of cell phone coverage or internet access. For example situations like just after a hurricane, or floods, or wildfires during search and rescue.

3. What can you contribute to making this feature a reality? Work out a way of doing at a small scale and sharing how it all works with people here.

Below is a general description of the organization and activities.

We are a team of 200 Search and rescue CERT volunteers located in western Washington state, committed to assisting FEMA during major disasters. Our mission is to conduct search and rescue operations in the field, but to do so effectively, we require a reliable method of collecting data without access to active cell phone coverage or internet access. That's why we need a way of creating an offline survey APP that can be used during house-to-house searches. Our survey will collect crucial information through simple multiple-choice and fill-in-the-blank questions, as well as timestamp and GPS location tags. The app we require must function offline and store data locally on the survey device in an easily exportable format such as Excel or Google Sheets. The collected data will be aggregated by our Field Commanders to rapidly determine the best course of action and to ultimately share data with FEMA. Can this platform be used to create this essential tool?

The process is a bit clunky to use fully offline, but I use ODK Collect for emergency response mapping because of it's support for custom data. I did a workshop on this at SOTM-US a few weeks ago, the recordings aren't online yet. I wrote software to do this because I also wanted a solution that works fully offline. Disaster response often requires frequent map updates while in the field. While this software is a work in progress still, we're already using this at HOT.
Osm-fieldwork project

You're welcome to contact me off the forum for more detail on working fully offline with ODK during a disaster response. I've worked with FEMA as well in the past.