Offline viewing of ODK collect data

Hi

I will be running a training session in Guyana next week on ODK
collect for forest monitoring and engaging the particiants in actual
data collection so I can then upoload and show them the data. However
the venue is very remote and the internet access is patchy at best. So
I am wondering if I loose internet connection, what options do I have
for getting the completed forms off the phones and into something like
ArcGIS viewer to visualise the data offline.

Any thoughts appreciated

Jon

Assuming you set up ODK Aggregate on your laptop with a fully-qualified
hostname, and your ArcGIS Desktop can run off ODK Aggregate's PostgreSQL
database without any internet connection...

You can eliminate the need for an internet connection (DNS lookup) by
specifying that fully-qualified hostname for your laptop in an /etc/hosts
file or equivalent (for windows, this is:
C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc\host ) on your laptop.

E.g., on my Windows PC, that file associates my fully-qualified hostname (
mypc.cs.washington.edu) with the loopback interface (127.0.0.1) via this
line:

127.0.0.1 mypc.cs.washington.edu

So I can run ODK Aggregate with no WiFi or Internet connectivity, run a
browser on my laptop pointing at http://mypc.cs.washington.edu, and it
works fine.

As for uploading ODK Collect data into Aggregate, Windows, at least, allows
you to set up your PC as its own WiFi Hotspot. If you do that, I think the
mapping of mypc.cs.washington.edu would then also be visible to the
connected Android phones.

As a fallback, if that doesn't work, you can use the ODK Briefcase app to
upload data in a mounted SD Card directory into ODK Aggregate.

Mitch

··· On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 3:01 PM, Jon Parsons wrote:

Hi

I will be running a training session in Guyana next week on ODK
collect for forest monitoring and engaging the particiants in actual
data collection so I can then upoload and show them the data. However
the venue is very remote and the internet access is patchy at best. So
I am wondering if I loose internet connection, what options do I have
for getting the completed forms off the phones and into something like
ArcGIS viewer to visualise the data offline.

Any thoughts appreciated

Jon

--
Mitch Sundt
Software Engineer
University of Washington
mitchellsundt@gmail.com

Thanks Mitch

I will have a go at your suggestion

but wondering if there is a simpler solution through converting the
form data into a format that the arc software can import as it is just
simple text data. I have sort of got there by opening the data in
excel and saving as a csv, but when importing the data into arc the
eastings and northings info is not in separate data fields so cant be
understood.

Jon

··· On Jan 23, 11:24 pm, Mitch S wrote: > Assuming you set up ODK Aggregate on your laptop with a fully-qualified > hostname, and your ArcGIS Desktop can run off ODK Aggregate's PostgreSQL > database without any internet connection... > > You can eliminate the need for an internet connection (DNS lookup) by > specifying that fully-qualified hostname for your laptop in an /etc/hosts > file or equivalent (for windows, this is: > C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc\host ) *on your laptop.* > > E.g., on my Windows PC, that file associates my fully-qualified hostname ( > mypc.cs.washington.edu) with the loopback interface (127.0.0.1) via this > line: > > 127.0.0.1 mypc.cs.washington.edu > > So I can run ODK Aggregate with no WiFi or Internet connectivity, run a > browser on my laptop pointing athttp://mypc.cs.washington.edu, and it > works fine. > > As for uploading ODK Collect data into Aggregate, Windows, at least, allows > you to set up your PC as its own WiFi Hotspot. If you do that, I think the > mapping of mypc.cs.washington.edu would then also be visible to the > connected Android phones. > > As a fallback, if that doesn't work, you can use the ODK Briefcase app to > upload data in a mounted SD Card directory into ODK Aggregate. > > Mitch > > On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 3:01 PM, Jon Parsons wrote: > > > Hi > > > I will be running a training session in Guyana next week on ODK > > collect for forest monitoring and engaging the particiants in actual > > data collection so I can then upoload and show them the data. However > > the venue is very remote and the internet access is patchy at best. So > > I am wondering if I loose internet connection, what options do I have > > for getting the completed forms off the phones and into something like > > ArcGIS viewer to visualise the data offline. > > > Any thoughts appreciated > > > Jon > > -- > Mitch Sundt > Software Engineer > University of Washington > mitchellsu...@gmail.com

You can always file an issue on our google code site with the export
format you would like to see. You could help us with this by filing an
issue with links to the format specification and a couple of examples
(can contain fake data) that show the original xform used to gather
data, the original csv export along with a file that shows what the
desired output format that combined them. The issue tracker allows you
to attach files.

For us to implement this we would have to go research the proper
formats, if you provide the information it will save time. There are
NO guarantees on when/if functionality will be added but if it's
already filed as request with all the information it is much more
likely to happen.

-- Waylon

··· On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 3:48 PM, Jon Parsons wrote: > Thanks Mitch > > I will have a go at your suggestion > > but wondering if there is a simpler solution through converting the > form data into a format that the arc software can import as it is just > simple text data. I have sort of got there by opening the data in > excel and saving as a csv, but when importing the data into arc the > eastings and northings info is not in separate data fields so cant be > understood. > > Jon > > > > On Jan 23, 11:24 pm, Mitch S wrote: >> Assuming you set up ODK Aggregate on your laptop with a fully-qualified >> hostname, and your ArcGIS Desktop can run off ODK Aggregate's PostgreSQL >> database without any internet connection... >> >> You can eliminate the need for an internet connection (DNS lookup) by >> specifying that fully-qualified hostname for your laptop in an /etc/hosts >> file or equivalent (for windows, this is: >> C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc\host ) *on your laptop.* >> >> E.g., on my Windows PC, that file associates my fully-qualified hostname ( >> mypc.cs.washington.edu) with the loopback interface (127.0.0.1) via this >> line: >> >> 127.0.0.1 mypc.cs.washington.edu >> >> So I can run ODK Aggregate with no WiFi or Internet connectivity, run a >> browser on my laptop pointing athttp://mypc.cs.washington.edu, and it >> works fine. >> >> As for uploading ODK Collect data into Aggregate, Windows, at least, allows >> you to set up your PC as its own WiFi Hotspot. If you do that, I think the >> mapping of mypc.cs.washington.edu would then also be visible to the >> connected Android phones. >> >> As a fallback, if that doesn't work, you can use the ODK Briefcase app to >> upload data in a mounted SD Card directory into ODK Aggregate. >> >> Mitch >> >> On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 3:01 PM, Jon Parsons wrote: >> >> > Hi >> >> > I will be running a training session in Guyana next week on ODK >> > collect for forest monitoring and engaging the particiants in actual >> > data collection so I can then upoload and show them the data. However >> > the venue is very remote and the internet access is patchy at best. So >> > I am wondering if I loose internet connection, what options do I have >> > for getting the completed forms off the phones and into something like >> > ArcGIS viewer to visualise the data offline. >> >> > Any thoughts appreciated >> >> > Jon >> >> -- >> Mitch Sundt >> Software Engineer >> University of Washington >> mitchellsu...@gmail.com