general pictures of each orchard taken for each survey visit. These
are currently captioned with the field ID, geotagged and uploaded to
Picasa webalbums.

Pictures have never fitted easily into a database format except for
very specific applications (ID photos). We have found that the best
way to present/store photos for our purposes is in Picasa webalbums as
it enables us to “thin slice” orchard health/location by scanning the
pics. Generally much more user friendly and can create maps in the
browser without having to have Google Earth installed.

We would want to leverage Picasa Webalbums if at all possible using
ODK.
The type of processing path i would like to be able to perform would
be as follows.

ODK button opens the camera, takes a geotagged picture, and adds a
caption
Picture is uploaded to Picasa when a connection is present. Database
keeps a record of what is synced and what is yet to upload.
After it is uploaded URL for the picture is retrieved by the ODK
database and link is written into the database
KMLs created from ODK retieve pics from the Picasa webalbum and not to
ODK itself.

Is it possible to do something like this with ODK?
Does anyone have any suggestions regards photo management and linking
ODK to third party cloud albums.

sean,

i'm in transit, so pardon the brevity.

i think the best you can do today is to build a form that captures the
picture and has a question about the caption. then send that on to
aggregate and write a service that moves that image to picasa (it'll
be similar to the google spreadsheets service). if it makes it easier,
collect 1.1.7 can also select pre-captured pictures from the phone.

yaw

··· On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 18:54, Sean Watson wrote: > Photos are a big part of our data collection work with 10 to 20 > general pictures of each orchard taken for each survey visit. These > are currently captioned with the field ID, geotagged and uploaded to > Picasa webalbums. > > Pictures have never fitted easily into a database format except for > very specific applications (ID photos). We have found that the best > way to present/store photos for our purposes is in Picasa webalbums as > it enables us to “thin slice” orchard health/location by scanning the > pics. Generally much more user friendly and can create maps in the > browser without having to have Google Earth installed. > > We would want to leverage Picasa Webalbums if at all possible using > ODK. > The type of processing path i would like to be able to perform would > be as follows. > > ODK button opens the camera, takes a geotagged picture, and adds a > caption > Picture is uploaded to Picasa when a connection is present. Database > keeps a record of what is synced and what is yet to upload. > After it is uploaded URL for the picture is retrieved by the ODK > database and link is written into the database > KMLs created from ODK retieve pics from the Picasa webalbum and not to > ODK itself. > > Is it possible to do something like this with ODK? > Does anyone have any suggestions regards photo management and linking > ODK to third party cloud albums. > > -- > Post: opendatakit@googlegroups.com > Unsubscribe: opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com > Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en >

Yaw is correct although I might wait until the Aggregate 1.x code
release as there is major changes to the External Services
architecture that make it more reliable. There are also major changes
to the UI.

Picasa integration is on the ODK todo list; however, it is a long list
and most the core development team effort is currently focused on
trying to get beta's out of Collect 1.1.7 and Aggregate 1.x.

Waylon

··· On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 12:02 AM, Yaw Anokwa wrote: > sean, > > i'm in transit, so pardon the brevity. > > i think the best you can do today is to build a form that captures the > picture and has a question about the caption. then send that on to > aggregate and write a service that moves that image to picasa (it'll > be similar to the google spreadsheets service). if it makes it easier, > collect 1.1.7 can also select pre-captured pictures from the phone. > > yaw > > > On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 18:54, Sean Watson wrote: >> Photos are a big part of our data collection work with 10 to 20 >> general pictures of each orchard taken for each survey visit. These >> are currently captioned with the field ID, geotagged and uploaded to >> Picasa webalbums. >> >> Pictures have never fitted easily into a database format except for >> very specific applications (ID photos). We have found that the best >> way to present/store photos for our purposes is in Picasa webalbums as >> it enables us to “thin slice” orchard health/location by scanning the >> pics. Generally much more user friendly and can create maps in the >> browser without having to have Google Earth installed. >> >> We would want to leverage Picasa Webalbums if at all possible using >> ODK. >> The type of processing path i would like to be able to perform would >> be as follows. >> >> ODK button opens the camera, takes a geotagged picture, and adds a >> caption >> Picture is uploaded to Picasa when a connection is present. Database >> keeps a record of what is synced and what is yet to upload. >> After it is uploaded URL for the picture is retrieved by the ODK >> database and link is written into the database >> KMLs created from ODK retieve pics from the Picasa webalbum and not to >> ODK itself. >> >> Is it possible to do something like this with ODK? >> Does anyone have any suggestions regards photo management and linking >> ODK to third party cloud albums. >> >> -- >> Post: opendatakit@googlegroups.com >> Unsubscribe: opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com >> Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en >> > > -- > Post: opendatakit@googlegroups.com > Unsubscribe: opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com > Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en >

Tks,
Will try what you suggest.

General call out to the community

• has anyone already written such a service?
··· On Jun 1, 1:17 pm, "W. Brunette" wrote: > Yaw is correct although I might wait until the Aggregate 1.x code > release as there is major changes to the External Services > architecture that make it more reliable. There are also major changes > to the UI. > > Picasa integration is on the ODK todo list; however, it is a long list > and most the core development team effort is currently focused on > trying to get beta's out of Collect 1.1.7 and Aggregate 1.x. > > Waylon > > > > > > > > On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 12:02 AM, Yaw Anokwa wrote: > > sean, > > > i'm in transit, so pardon the brevity. > > > i think the best you can do today is to build a form that captures the > > picture and has a question about the caption. then send that on to > > aggregate and write a service that moves that image to picasa (it'll > > be similar to the google spreadsheets service). if it makes it easier, > > collect 1.1.7 can also select pre-captured pictures from the phone. > > > yaw > > > On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 18:54, Sean Watson wrote: > >> Photos are a big part of our data collection work with 10 to 20 > >> general pictures of each orchard taken for each survey visit. These > >> are currently captioned with the field ID, geotagged and uploaded to > >> Picasa webalbums. > > >> Pictures have never fitted easily into a database format except for > >> very specific applications (ID photos). We have found that the best > >> way to present/store photos for our purposes is in Picasa webalbums as > >> it enables us to “thin slice” orchard health/location by scanning the > >> pics. Generally much more user friendly and can create maps in the > >> browser without having to have Google Earth installed. > > >> We would want to leverage Picasa Webalbums if at all possible using > >> ODK. > >> The type of processing path i would like to be able to perform would > >> be as follows. > > >> ODK button opens the camera, takes a geotagged picture, and adds a > >> caption > >> Picture is uploaded to Picasa when a connection is present. Database > >> keeps a record of what is synced and what is yet to upload. > >> After it is uploaded URL for the picture is retrieved by the ODK > >> database and link is written into the database > >> KMLs created from ODK retieve pics from the Picasa webalbum and not to > >> ODK itself. > > >> Is it possible to do something like this with ODK? > >> Does anyone have any suggestions regards photo management and linking > >> ODK to third party cloud albums. > > >> -- > >> Post: opendatakit@googlegroups.com > >> Unsubscribe: opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com > >> Options:http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en > > > -- > > Post: opendatakit@googlegroups.com > > Unsubscribe: opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com > > Options:http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en