Problem with cascaded select_one and 'Other' choice

Hello ODK community,

My name is Ahmad, I am quite new to ODK and I am working on a survey to collect some data for my company. I am facing few problems and might be able to resolve with the help of this wonderful community:

Problem 1: a problem that combines cascading selects and selecting an 'other' choice.

so I am using a cascaded select_one to reduce the number of options for the choosing a value for the variable ${SubsLocationTag}.

I want the user to be able to select an 'Other' option if the final list does not contain the actual location tag he is looking for. of course, the choice 'Other' should always appear for the user at the bottom of ${SubsLocationTag} list regardless of his responses to the preceding choices for ${SubsType}, ${Region} and ${Area}.

after being able to implement the above, I intend to prompt the user to insert the location tag if his choice for ${SubsLocationTag} was 'Other'. I will be using selected(${SubsLocationTag},'Other') in the relevant column.

Problem 2: for the question type date, I would like the user to be able to choose the date (year only) instead of choosing the day/month/year in a calendar. any ideas of how can I achieve that?

Problem 3: I have some very long select_one lists for my user to choose from and I want it displayed as a drop list on his device instead of a long cascade list of options to choose from. how can I implement a drop down list with a cascaded select_one question?

I am attaching the xlsx file for your kind review and advise.

form1.xlsx (76.9 KB)

Thanks,
Ahmad

Hello everyone,

I was able to resolve problem 1 and problem 2.

I am stuck now with problem 3 and need help to complete the survey and get things up and running.

Thanks to you all !
Ahmad

Please let me know the solution of your problem 1 please.

Hi @Himanshu_Mangal
welcome to the forum! Please introduce yourself here!

did you try or_other option? If it's not a solution to your problem please describe it and attach your form or a sample form that presents the same issue.