Problems to access server (App Engine App Problem) and forms (returned status code 500)

1. What is the problem? Be very detailed.

I have been using ODK for years and have never had problems like this. Today, when entering it the link of my server the following message appears:

"AppEngine Application Problem

A problem has occurred that prevents your App Engine application from responding. Your application may have exceeded its per-minute or daily usage quotas.

Please visit Google Cloud Platform - App Engine Dashboard and select your application id from the top-right drop-down. The Billing Status section for your application id is displayed beneath the Summary and Instances sections.

Verify that you have not exceeded your free quota or daily spending limit (if you have set up billing) and that you have also not exceeded your per-minute usage limits.

If your application's usage limits have not been exceeded, then go to Google Cloud Platform - Overview Dashboard and confirm that there are no Google infrastructure issues (these will appear in the Google Cloud status box in the top-right of this page.

If neither of those indicate any problems, then your application's Logs may identify an issue. See ODK Aggregate Troubleshooting for what to look for"

I tryed the solutions of the message but they are not clear in explain what exactly to do. For me, it was never necessary to deal with "Google Cloud" to work with ODK.

Also, today I installed again the ODK Collect at the android mobile and try to download my forms. I did not have success and the following message appeared: "The server .... returned status code 500. If the problem persists, inform the person who asked you to colect the data"

I am really in a bad situation. My staff canceled the field today and need to go again tomorrow. I don't know what to do...

2. What app or server are you using and on what device and operating system? Include version numbers.
The server of ODK (https://monitoramentoborboletas.appspot.com) and the ODK Collect (the last version I guess, since reinstalled it today)
Using in a new smartphone android

3. What you have you tried to fix the problem?
In the ODK collect, nothing. Did not find any option that seems to be a solution
In the server I tryed the suggested links that brought me to Google Cloud whose texts are really difficult understand

4. What steps can we take to reproduce the problem?
Just enter in the ODK, server or collect, inserting the link of my server https://monitoramentoborboletas.appspot.com (the same one that I always used, for years, and never had problems).

5. Anything else we should know or have? If you have a test form or screenshots or logs, attach below.

Welcome to the ODK forum @Anders! We're glad you're here. When you get a chance, please introduce yourself on this forum thread. I'd also encourage you to add a picture as your avatar because it helps build community!

The ODK team provides paid hosting options - see https://getodk.org/ to learn about ODK Cloud offerings. They also provide the software code and instructions for setting it up yourself. An ODK Aggregate server must be set up somewhere. In the past, many people set up Aggregate using Google's App Engine service. Someone set up your ODK Aggregate server on Google App Engine. The person that set it up can access administrator settings through the "Google Cloud Platform - App Engine Dashboard" that is mentioned in the error message. Over the years, Google has changed the pricing and access levels for App Engine. It sounds like you might have a billing issue. Do you know who has administrator access?

Also, please note that Aggregate is no longer being supported. Central is now the ODK server. The post below has for more details about the end-of-life for Aggregate (the transition from Aggregate to Central was a two year process that finished with support fully ending in May 2021).

1 Like